Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photoblogs, where how why?!

• 23-02-2011 6:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

i was just wondering what is a good site to host a photoblog on?? i dont really have a clue about these things but id like to set up a page to get some of my photos seen, or to send friends etc a link to my photos. i had a flickr account but its nearly full, and i dont like pix.ie, i cant afford to have my own website, and im toying with the idea of just setting up a facebook page instead seeing as im always on that...

can anyone shed some light on photoblogging??!!! thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I find picasa is great if you just want to share pics with your friends.

i have also used blogger a little, which is OK-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Flickr is like €17 a year for unlimited space..

You could setup a free and easy to setup blog at one of the following places Tumblr, Blogspot or Wordpress.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

There are so many different options, it depends on what kind of photoblog you want to have?

I'd suggest Blogger or Wordpress, which are both free, and chose a template for the kind of look you'd like. Or Google may help you find something closer to what you're looking for :)

If you upload a lot of photos then upgrading to a Flickr Pro account might be a good idea as daftwz suggested. Or Photobucket will host photos for free.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Photoblogging is a bit different from just hosting pics on-line for everyone to see.
    Photoblogs tend to be one off photos posted on a blog for a particular reason and those reasons are many and varied.

Some people have little projects on the go like 365's where they post a pic every day for a year. Others have a theme, while some folks just post completely random shots. Some people put stories to go with the shots while others post shots and let them stand alone.

BTW having your own website is not as expensive as you may think. Your own domain (eg. pearljamfan.com) will cost you the princely sum of about €8 a year while hosting your site costs about €80 a year. You can also blog for free on the likes of Wordpress etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

photoblog itself is not bad, and easy to use - i have been using it , but am taking a break from it -

http://www.photoblog.com/thebaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

****thread hijack****

I have hosting, does anyone know a good photo blogging software, free or otherwise, that I can use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I think wordpress is the standard for photo blogging or any other kind of blogging, it's free unless you want to buy a theme. Tumblr's good too, much more simple less fuss sort of approach than wordpress. of course there are gazillions of other options for getting your work online.

Oh, I almost forgot!!! I run a little side project implementing and customising wordpress themes for those not so CSS savvy. Check out www.bluebubble.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

thanks for the replies, i think ill make a new facebook page and just stick up some photos, see how it goes while i think of an idea for a blog, i write poems and ive always wanted to merge the two, so that might be a plan for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

That's a really great idea Pearljamfan, I like the thought of combining your words and images.

Why don't you just jump in and give it a try? Doesn't need too much thought or planning, all you need to do is sign up and start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'd recommend wordpress.com for hosting a photoblog, you can even get your own domain name thru them, costs less than €10 for domain and hosting is free.

It's very easy to setup and maintain, I can even post from my iPhone with their App.

I'm using my for my 365, before that I posted images from time to time, now it's everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thanks for the replies, i think ill make a new facebook page and .

facebook pages can very eassily get lost out there in fb, unless you have a massive friendship count - put it like this, i rarely look at someones fan page - but would give a scan of a blog - maybe , i'm getting mean , but in this day and age i refuse to pay flickr for there pro service, when many others, including pix.ie offer a free service

just a few of my thoughts , from af ew years using the many different software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    You sound like you want something like Picasa or Flickr more than a photoblog to me.
    Flickr- very easy, more people will view your pictures (if you submit to groups etc) and more interaction, more comments etc.

A photoblog can seem a very lonely, quiet place presuming that you won't be publicising it beyond your friends n family.. You'll have to put a bit of time into it as well to set up home, about, contact pages (if you want these) and you said you just want to share some photos...

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I use wix.com with a dot.tk adress mask. Both are free (with minimal ads). (my link is in my sig, in case you wanted to have a look at the layout, although mine is the most basic there is, I just like minimal!)

i find wix great, it's built on flash though which can be a pain, and it's hard to link to individual images, but as a basic photo sharing type site I quite like it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    You sound like you want something like Picasa or Flickr more than a photoblog to me.
    Flickr- very easy, more people will view your pictures (if you submit to groups etc) and more interaction, more comments etc.

A photoblog can seem a very lonely, quiet place presuming that you won't be publicising it beyond your friends n family.. You'll have to put a bit of time into it as well to set up home, about, contact pages (if you want these) and you said you just want to share some photos...
    Flickr and whatnot will undoubtedly get you more hits, comments, etc - in a very symbiotic way - i.e. the more you pimp yourself and comment on other pics the more you'll get back in return.

Using something like Wordpress you can create a site that's aesthetic in itself and is part of the project rather than just a conduit for mutual love (which is fine too!)

Have become a huge Wordpress fan in the last couple of months (am a web designer), and since I replaced my old DSLR last month with something shiny have set about creating a photoblog that I fully expect nobody to ever look at. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

@pearljamfan add wix.com to the freebie list (free / paid options) - there is a company doing 1 (maybe 2) years free web hosting (you buy your domain) - RickyT was using them at one stage, his initial reports were good/haven't heard lately how its progressing but a PM to him might solicit an answer.

i'm a fan of tumblr too - used on a number of projects. There was an annoying limitation on image size which may matter if you were setting about displaying large sizes.

@Jimdagym pixelpost is a popular photoblogging platform for your own web site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Friend of mine has a blog and then posts a link on facebook when there's an update...makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I use wordpress (Free). I find its really easy to use & some of the themes are great for a photo blog. Mine is a mixed bag, mostly focused on a project 52 as well as some side posting about other photographic activities.

With wordpress you get 3GB of media storage for photo's, video or whatever takes your fancy. I batch reduce my images using Irfanview with a longest visible side of 800 pixels, this keeps the size of my media use down but the quality of the images on wordpress still look very good. I then host my file res images on Pix.ie etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Wordpress or blogger seem to be the the most used blogging software so go with those

I would also echo what someone said earlier just dive in and do it. you have images you have the poems just do it most of the things like look can be altered afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

sheesh wrote: »
    Wordpress or blogger seem to be the the most used blogging software so go with those

I don't use wordpress but here are some really nice looking wordpress themes (free too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I tried tumblr for a while, thought it looked good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I don't use wordpress but here are some really nice looking wordpress themes (free too).

Aren't they only for wordpress.org? Which you need to have hosted, so not technically free. There's only a limited amount on wordpress.com and you can only tweak them so much with the e8 'custom css' upgrade. Got mine looking half decent after HOURS of tweaking and checking. Still not perfect, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

If you want easy and quick, id go Flickr and pay for the account.

I used it an an additional back up for images as you can download the full res versions and it has great mobile upload capabilites if you are into iphone photography. Also, later on down the line when you get a blog, you can link it with your flickr account and automatically create blog posts when you upload to flickr.

I use flickr for all my big image hosting and slideshows. I then just embed them into my own hosted photoblog site, http://www.richie.ie , which is build on wordpress

Advertisement