Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barska 200 Scope - any good ?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

As the title says , is the Barska 200 Scope any good .

I came across one for 200 sterling and was wondering if it is worth the money or would I be better off buying something else (for the same price) .

Going by the specs , what would I expect to see with it (planets - Saturn etc.) ?
    I found the specs online and have listed them below .

Barska Professional 200 Power

Barska Professional Reflector Telescope

MODEL NUMBER AE10106

An ideal telescope for planetary and deep sky observation.
    It has a 900mm focal length and a 114mm diameter objective lens and also features a 6x30 finder scope to help aim at sky targets. In addition, thsi telescope has fully glass coated optics for enhanced image brightness.

It also comes with all telescope accessories you need: moon filter, K9 and K20 interchangeable eyepieces with a rack and pinion focuser and a 2x Barlow Lens, meaning that it can provide a 200x Power!

With an optional Barska Digi-Eyepiece you can view real-time images from your Barska 900114 200 Professional Telescope on your computer screen.

Included is a sturdy adjustable aluminum tripod with accessory tray.

Barska Professional 200 Power is fitted with an Equatorial Mount with setting circles and dual slow motion adjustment cables. The Equatorial mount, in conjunction with the micro adjustable Altitude control, and the Azimuth Lock enables you to observe the entire night sky, or any celestial body, without having to move the tripod.

149388.jpg

The only experienve I have with telescopes is one I had for a while that was given to me and was worth about 50 euro ( ideal for viewing the moon but not much else), and I've been thinking about getting a decent one for a while .
    Thanks in advance ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I think it's too expensive for what you are getting. 150 or 200 mmm will show more,. If you are dead set on a smaller scope, I had a Tasco 114 some years ago and it gave great views of the moon, "some" views of planets and galaxies. I bought it for 30 bob secondhand.
    A similar one (nicer than the one I bought) is for sale on adverts dot ie for 100 lids.
    Maybe a dobsonian would be of interest to you? Different typ of mount that the EQ mount, easy to use and good bang for buck, but not much cop for Astrophotography.
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=31

Have a browse and see what like. Maybe go to one of the meetings to get a feel for the kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Thanks for the reply .

I think I'll leave the Barska Scope where it is .

Here's one thats 50 quid less than the Barska ( And qualifies for free postage from Amazon ) -

It's also bigger than the Barska (130 mm vs 114mm )

Astromaster 130 EQ
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/B000MLL6RS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

There's also a motorised version
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Astromaster-130EQ-MD-Motor-Drive/dp/B0013Z42AK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Would this be a good starter scope ?

Is the motor worth the extra few quid or more hassle than it's worth ?

Thanks .

Well , I had a look around at online reviews ( including this forum ) , and this morning I ordered the Astromaster 130EQ-MD motorised scope from Amazon .

I should have it by next Wednesday , using the free shipping option .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Astromaster-130EQ-MD-Motor-Drive/dp/B0013Z42AK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I can't wait :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

That will be fine as a starter scope. The tracking will allow you to take photo's and webcam movies of planets / moon.
    Have you got a laptop or can borrow one?

That will be fine as a starter scope. The tracking will allow you to take photo's and webcam movies of planets / moon.
    Have you got a laptop or can borrow one?

Hi Tea drinker ,

Thanks for the pm with the links .

I don't have a laptop , but I have installed Stellarium on my media PC in the living room and was using it to last night to find various constellations and stars , (looking at Stellarium , then going outside , then back in again , then repeat several times :D )

I also have a Planisphere on it's way from Amazon .
    Both the scope and planisphere were despatched on thursday evening , so hopefully will be here on Monday or Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement