Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitman Training

Options
  • 23-02-2011 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had experience of using this company recently? They're based in Blackpool.

I have of course heard of them in the UK, but that was quite a few years ago when they were better known as a secretarial college. Pitman reckon that on completing the course, they could set me up with interviews/jobs. Of course, given the current climate that remains to be seen...

It's a very expensive course (about 2.5k) which of course (excuse the pun!:P) I would find difficult to fund as I am unemployed.

Is there any way I could get funding to do the course? I've also posted this in the Work & Jobs forum...

TIA :)

Comments

Pitman reckon that on completing the course, they could set me up with interviews/jobs. ...........

At best they can set you up for interviews, along with the rest of your peers for the same jobs, again, at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Also posted in the Work & Jobs forum...

Got a reply from FAS this morning, and thought I would post it up in case anyone else might be interested...

As Pitman is not FETAC accredited, FAS will not be able to fund the course. There is a 'training budget' of E500 per person, but this is for FETAC courses only. Courses costing over the E500 FAS will fund the first 500, with the remainder funded by the candidate.

In short - only Industry-related or FETAC courses will be funded by FAS.

Hope this helps!

As an afterthought. It's a lot of money for a course which may or may not get me a job, especially as I don't have it in the first place -LOL! Bit of an expensive punt if you will.;)

Never mind, I'll just keep plugging away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

Hi ABajaninCork

that's not true. I checked this out before when FAS said that and it turned out that all Pitman Training have FETAC accreditation in Ireland, you can see for yourself here:

http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/getCentreList.do?providerId=381&startsWith=1&cmbResultPerPage=15&check=P&providerName=Pitman Training Ireland

As far as I know, they're also a Microsoft Academy and Adobe test centre for technical courses, so you should have no problem qualifying for funding with FAS.

Think College of Comm. and of course, CIT and UCC also provide FETAC accredited courses in Cork.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for that. I was quoting direct from the reply I got from FAS....

I'll send on the link to them now!:D

Advertisement