Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

speed check query

• 23-02-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

Was driving out of adamstown today at 4:30 and i spotted a garda with a handheld speed camera and he was on the incoming ( right ) hand side of the road rather than on my side of the road. If you look at the google map link that i have provided he was standing at the entrance to the quarry on the upper right hand side of the pic and i was driving in the left outbound lane.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=adamstown+,+lucan,+dublin&aq=&sll=39.39574,-77.123717&sspn=1.175859,1.766052&ie=UTF8&hq=adamstown+,+lucan,+dublin&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=53.335678,-6.43507&spn=0,0.021973&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.335272,-6.436601&panoid=LSL6lbKiBLaRS3I0w3IBOg&cbp=12,77.66,,0,16.62

Now i know i was doing 65 kmh in a 60 zone. So i'm curious about a few things that could help to put my mind at ease:

1. Am i right in assuming that a handheld speed camera does not capture photographic evidence right? The garda has to pull you over and give you the fine?

2. Although the gun was aimed in my direction, but he was on the right hand side of the road on the inbound road, can i assume that he was only focusing his camera on drivers passing by him in the inbound lane heading to adamstown?

3. There was plenty traffic in both lanes/directions at the same time when i passed him, are the handheld cameras sophisticated enough to determine which road direction the speed was happening on?

4. Finally i thought that the guards were no longer dealing with catching motorists speeding on roads? i thought the whole thing had been contracted to 3rd parties with those special vans.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Cant answer all your questions but the speed vans are contracted to work alongside the gardai when it comes to speeding.I got done by a garda on the motorway last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bada_bing wrote: »
    4. Finally i thought that the guards were no longer dealing with catching motorists speeding on roads? i thought the whole thing had been contracted to 3rd parties with those special vans.

thanks.

Yeah right. I was coming into Sligo from Bundoran this morning around 9:45 and there was a Garda Speed Camera Van(fully marked as Garda but not as a Speed Van) and further down the road at the next village(2kms) there were two Garda bikes and two Squad cars doing a speed trap as well.

Essentially if you passed the first set of motorised cops you would think its okay to speed up and then the van gets you.

So YES the Gardai are still actively catching speeders.

Advertisement