Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital in Mahon could Close soon.

Options
  • 23-02-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

There are fears for around 75 jobs at the Cork Medical Centre in Mahon, Cork city.

The €90m private facility opened last October and is operated by Sheehan Medical.

A spokesperson for the centre said it had not been able to secure an agreement with VHI Healthcare for cover for its subscribers.
    Staff are being briefed by management.

Last September, the facility reached agreement with Aviva Health for cover for its members. It also has an agreement with Quinn Health Insurance.

The facility has been in talks with the VHI since September 2007 on securing cover. The Cork Medical Centre has 73 beds.

VHI Healthcare has said there is excess capacity in the private hospital marketplace and that it first advised the Cork Medical Centre of this position in August 2009.

It said that the developers chose to go ahead with fitting out the new hospital.

VHI met with the hospital last week and said it was surprised to learn of their financial position.

VHI said it could not comment on the financial position of the hospital or its relationship with its staff.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0223/corkmedicalcentre.html
    Jesus its not even 10 months since i saw the healines saying 200 jobs for Cork and now it seems the thing is closing down. How could they not have secured a proper contract for a certain period of time.

It has to be said that the people behind this deal are absolute muppets to let this happen. How can there not be enough demand when you see the public hospitals jam packed full of people. There is a large amount of people with health insurance so surely there would be a demand.

Comments

Should improve as folks will continue to leave the VHI, of course VHI may be hard bargaining which is no harm. Surely if the VHI sent folk there is would alleviate congestion in the public hospitals.

Nutty situation really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Was just reading about this yesterday, it's mad considering the jobs being advertised recently as you said Hogzy. I've been up there twice since it's opening and both times there wasn't a wait and most of the doctors were sitting around twiddling their thumbs.
    Surprised to read that link to RTE. What I had heard was that the hospital will remain open with another financial supporter as VHI are planning on pulling out. Your link proves how rtarded they were for going ahead with the development without a proper agreement. Mad altogether, feel so sorry for the people who secured jobs there for the moment; I hope they don't have to close it.
    I think the majority of people pay for private healthcare because it's "the right thing to do" and don't really have a clue what they're entitled to with it. Shame really. Beautiful hospital too. ....never thought I'd call a hospital beautiful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it seems daft really.
    And given that O Callaghan (I think) wants to build another private hospital on Western Road - you'd wonder what's in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

What's the deal with that hospital is there an A&E there?
    Do they only do straightforward ops?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Kazbah wrote: »
    What's the deal with that hospital is there an A&E there?
    Do they only do straightforward ops?

yes, basically they cherry pick their work and charge the [private] paying patient a premium for the pleasure, talk about taking advantage of the state of the health sector in this little country, two tier and corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

deRanged wrote: »
    And given that O Callaghan (I think).

Take with a pinch of salt for O'Callaghan, he makes these statements as threats to the city planners if they don't give him permission for what he really wants to do.

He threatened to "Double Mahon Point" and enforced this threat with the words "Because of the magnificent road system there"

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oldfecker

this private hospital crowd eeping mentioning waiting lists in te oublic hospitals...surely private patients are going to be going to the bons/shanakiel in cork !!

Also, if the other 2 insurance companies are covering it, it there not enought business between them ? why blame VHI if they were told ages ago, that they would not cover it ??

Not a good business plan... prob tax incentives to build a hospital from the boom times anyway.......

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SimonPRepublic

oldfecker wrote: »
    this private hospital crowd eeping mentioning waiting lists in te oublic hospitals...surely private patients are going to be going to the bons/shanakiel in cork !!

Also, if the other 2 insurance companies are covering it, it there not enought business between them ? why blame VHI if they were told ages ago, that they would not cover it ??

Not a good business plan... prob tax incentives to build a hospital from the boom times anyway.......

Vhis's patients are going to both the Bons and Shankiel, which are both over 90 years old, which I think is a disgrace for Ireland's second city. Look at all the new hospitals in Dublin covered by Vhi? To expect the people of Cork to be treated in such old establishments, when there is a brand new fully single room hospital with the latest operating theatres and infection control, is disrespectful to the people of Cork.

There is not enough medical procedures undertaken by Quinn and Aviva for a private hospital to survive, because 85% of operations are undertaken by Vhi. Also, the doctors won't sign up for a hospital until Vhi is covered, so that scuppers access to Quinn and Aviva.

I am told that Vhi indicated to every other private hospital built in Ireland that they wouldn't cover them and they still did on opening. Neither Vhi nor any of the other private health insurer will cover a private hospital until it is open because they do not approve projects off-plan; they need to check the standards of the facilities first and assess the quality of the staff before allowing their patients to be treated there. Vhi has actually been in discussions with Cork Medical Centre for some time and the Chief Exec actually visited the hospital less than a month ago.

There were NO tax incentives for Sheehan Medical to build this hospital.

People often forget that private hospital also treat public patients via the National Purchase Treatment fund to which public patients can apply if they have been on a waiting list for more than three months. The hospital has been discussions to do this. Ironically due to the shortage of operating theatres in Cork you often get private patients waiting more than three months too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fook... I know someone who got a job there recently too. :-/

Always had a funny feeling about that place - it barely seemed to register on the public radar, was poorly sign-posted, and there was barely a muttering of jobs, even with things as they are jobs-wise...

Vhis's patients are going to both the Bons and Shankiel, which are both over 90 years old, which I think is a disgrace for Ireland's second city. ........ To expect the people of Cork to be treated in such old establishments, when there is a brand new fully single room hospital with the latest operating theatres and infection control, is disrespectful to the people of Cork.

The Bons is absolutely top class, so what if it's 90 years old the care and treatment the patients get there is fantastic. Unless you have first hand experience of the Bons being substandard etc your post is drivel in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

RoverJames wrote: »
    The Bons is absolutely top class, so what if it's 90 years old the care and treatment the patients get there is fantastic. Unless you have first hand experience of the Bons being substandard etc your post is drivel in the extreme.

A building is nothing, just a few stones or big expensive glass panels that architects can boast about tricking their clients into spending more than they had budgeted for an so on.

A hospital is about staff. skill, compassion, dedication and hard work from everybody associated. Some of the best medicine in the world is and was performed by mobile army surgical hospitals under tents, in the desert, in the jungle under fire.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Vhis's patients are going to both the Bons and Shankiel, which are both over 90 years old, which I think is a disgrace for Ireland's second city. Look at all the new hospitals in Dublin covered by Vhi? To expect the people of Cork to be treated in such old establishments, when there is a brand new fully single room hospital with the latest operating theatres and infection control, is disrespectful to the people of Cork.

There is not enough medical procedures undertaken by Quinn and Aviva for a private hospital to survive, because 85% of operations are undertaken by Vhi. Also, the doctors won't sign up for a hospital until Vhi is covered, so that scuppers access to Quinn and Aviva.

I am told that Vhi indicated to every other private hospital built in Ireland that they wouldn't cover them and they still did on opening. Neither Vhi nor any of the other private health insurer will cover a private hospital until it is open because they do not approve projects off-plan; they need to check the standards of the facilities first and assess the quality of the staff before allowing their patients to be treated there. Vhi has actually been in discussions with Cork Medical Centre for some time and the Chief Exec actually visited the hospital less than a month ago.

People often forget that private hospital also treat public patients via the National Purchase Treatment fund to which public patients can apply if they have been on a waiting list for more than three months. The hospital has been discussions to do this. Ironically due to the shortage of operating theatres in Cork you often get private patients waiting more than three months too.

Any Interests to declare ?

FWIW I've found the Bons to be an excellent hospital, extremely clean with very advanced facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

gbee wrote: »
    A building is nothing, just a few stones or big expensive glass panels that architects can boast about tricking their clients into spending more than they had budgeted for an so on.

A hospital is about staff. skill, compassion, dedication and hard work from everybody associated. Some of the best medicine in the world is and was performed by mobile army surgical hospitals under tents, in the desert, in the jungle under fire.

To a certain extent your both right but also wrong!

Hospitals need to be maintained to a standard. Old hospitals do not give enough space and are often not equipped upto standards that are needed for modern day hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Don't you think you should have declared you were the publicist for Sheehan Medical at the start of your post?

http://www.republicpr.ie/

evilivor wrote: »
    Don't you think you should have declared you were the publicist for Sheehan Medical at the start of your post?

Chuckle chuckle.

On a serious note though I really don't think any sane non numpty person could fault the Bons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Republicpr.ie

Please contact hello@boards.ie
    We do not allow companies to post on this site without direct authorisation from the Boards.ie office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

what a bad argument republiccpr made anyway, the bons is always refurbising wards to keep them all up to date, iv worked on 3 of the different ward refurbs in the space of 18 months , who cares how old the building is , its the quality of care , cleanliness and quality of facilites that matter.
    I havent been in shanakiel but im sure they keep it in excellent condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

1. Why is this a disgrace ? they carry out more important/medically necessary procedures than Mahon were going to ? what difference does it make if they are over 90 yrs old ?? it's the quality of care and standards that matter....

2. funny... "such old establishments" so what if they are

3. Mahon Gambled on previous hospital agreements and it back fired !

4. somehow i do not think quinn/ vhi/aviva would look, or have he power to check the staff working there, that is up to the hospital to employ the right people..

5. so they were gambling on getting patients fromthe treatment fund as well !

Seems like it was not a very well thought out plan, from reading they were told that the would not be covered from the start and all the way through, eyt they still go ahead and build it and still blame a third party for the failure....

Fook... again... :pac:

I thought there was something a bit strange all right about the way Republicpr.ie was going on about the Bons as if it's an auld kip of a place. My mum was in there recently and I thought the place was superb. And her room and bathroom - bloody hell, I'd like that at home for meself! :pac:
    Just because a building is 90 years old doesn't mean it's not possible to modernise it...

robbed this from a post on politics.ie

So they knew back in Oct 2010 from the following, that vhi were not going to cover them
    http://www.sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/healthy-outlook-52298.html
    ... Aviva and Quinn have agreed to cover their members for treatment at the CMC, but VHI has not. ‘‘It is a concern, but not a big one," Sheehan said.

‘‘We have seen consistent growth in the number of self-payers in Galway.

As the economic crisis continues we will see more people drop out of the health insurance market and take a risk. I think more and more people will adopt the attitude that private healthcare is something they will pay for if they need it,’’Sheehan said.

‘‘That," he quickly added, ‘‘is no bad thing."

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Republicpr.ie

Please contact hello@boards.ie
    We do not allow companies to post on this site without direct authorisation from the Boards.ie office.

looks like Republicpr his failed going on his own "code of practice"

http://www.republicpr.ie/prii-codes-practice/

1. Public relations activities must be carried out openly: they must be readily identifiable, bear a clear indication of their origin, and must not tend to mislead third parties.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm laughing at the posting by the PR person talking about "the people of Cork". This is nothing to do with the people of Cork. Like the Bons it's a private hospital open to those who have private insurance or are willing to self-pay. It's not some sort of community hospital for all Cork people irrespective or age , income or ethnicity. I'm sure if any of the locals from Mahon turned up without funds they'd get the bums rush despite being part of "the people of Cork".

This is a prime case of someone failing to get their ducks in a row and then bullying the VHI into supporting it by means of press campaigns, political wheeler-dealing and the like.

still though the more i think of it , the more fishy it sounds , surely at this stage the other insurance companies have enough clients to provide plenty of patients.
    Or did they open their doors expecting to wipe out the bons and take all the business. Seems just like an ill advised venture to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

RoverJames wrote: »

I have an Aunt who upon entering the above claimed "Top Class" establishment developed bed sores and had to endure doctors who loved the sound of their own voice rather than listen to their client/patient. The Bons may have once been a top hospital but it hasn't been for quite a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Looks like the end is approaching:

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/liquidator-expected-to-be-appointed-to-mahon-private-hospital-149586.html

Seems like total madness - but what's new!

I have an Aunt who upon entering the above claimed "Top Class" establishment developed bed sores and had to endure doctors who loved the sound of their own voice rather than listen to their client/patient. The Bons may have once been a top hospital but it hasn't been for quite a number of years.

So that means it isn't top class ?, having seen family members being treated for cancer and heart disease there I maintain in my experience it is a top class hospital.

Yeah, crappy experience for that lady, but it doesn't necessarily mean the whole establishment overall is sub-standard.

Feck it, the poor staff in Mahon. :-/

What a white elephant though...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oldfecker

you can "develop" bedsores in an old hospital or a shiny new one with lots of glass and hype..... anyone can catch them from lying down too much on one side, or having sensitive skin. If the family were sick of listening to their voice, why not questions the Dr's about her treatment ?

Back to the topic, the sheehans gambled and were caught out

oldfecker wrote: »
    you can "develop" bedsores in an old hospital or a shiny new one with lots of glass and hype..... anyone can catch them from lying down too much on one side, or having sensitive skin. If the family were sick of listening to their voice, why not questions the Dr's about her treatment ?

Back to the topic, the sheehans gambled and were caught out
    Have no sympathy for the sheehans , loads of sympathy for the staff that were taken on though that must of been heartbreaking .
    Surely it would financially be better to mothball the building for a few years and in the meantime work on getting National treatment fund patients and other sources of income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SimonPRepublic

I've never hidden the fact they are one of my clients that's why I use my company name as my username and have full details in Boards.ie profile. If I want to check out another poster I look at their profile. I don't believe in posting anonymously in discussions like this because you can't have an honest debate.

Advertisement