Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf 1.4 Oil Leak

• 23-02-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Just wondering if Anyone has come across this:

In the last few weeks I've noticed that the engine can cut out upon startup if I take my foot of the accelerator when the car is parked on an upward incline. Got the throttle body cleaned and this didn't help much.

So, it was in for a service last week and the mechanic discovered there was some oil around the spark plugs and said that the Rocker Head Gasket needed replacing and that was causing the cut outs and leaking oil. He expected it would take over 2 hours labour + the part. Around €200

Today while getting a quote from another garage, it was discovered the 1.4 AHW engine doesn't have this gasket and it must be something else causing the engine to run badly.

Going in for inspection next week to find the actual cause.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

C4Kid wrote: »
    Got the throttle body cleaned and this didn't help much.

Did you have the throttle angle reset after it was cleaned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Did you have the throttle angle reset after it was cleaned?

No, I don't think so, Are you talking about the butterfly valve part of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yes - it needs to be reset after cleaning. This should be your next port of call.

No that wasn't reset just cleaned and left alone and the car started up. I'll get that done next. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The first thing on any golf which is cutting out but has no engine malfunction light on is to clean out the crankcase breather pipe that runs into the airfilter housing.

And your car does have a rocker cover gasket but even if it is leaking very badly, it wouldn't be causing running issues.

• Advertisement

The breather pipe was cleaned as well when the air filter was replaced. You're right though there was yellow, black grime coming out of it and some after setting into the old air filter
    And your car does have a rocker cover gasket

Yeah, the confusion seems to be when both mechanics went to look for the part with my engine code AHW it doesn't exist but obviously other variants of it do.

It's strange and I thought We got to the root of the problem but it needs another examination on the ramp. They noticed traces of oil on the right side of the engine but couldn't say anything until it was looked at further. There is an ever so light smell of oil when You get out and the engine is warm.

Thanks for your replies:)

Advertisement