Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start static plastic aircraft modelling again.

Options
  • 23-02-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Help please,
    Made airfix models 40 yrs + ago, want to start again, can anyone advise what is the best kit/manufacturer to start again with and also the best model shop in ireland or online web address to buy same.
    Maurice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

The Bamba toy shop beside Jervis in town has Airfix and Revel models some ok stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

I would go with Tamiya, excellent kits and better molds and detail then airfix.

I have bought from this crowd in england with no problems.
    www.modelhobbies.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maurice M

Many thanks to you both, will give them a try and let you know how I get on.
    Maurice

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DaveMaC

I recently returned to model kits with my twelve year old son. We started out with a few airfix 1:72 -the mouldings can be pretty bad on some of them, revell are a good bit better for details and precision, but its nice to get started with a rough one, re-hone your skills in sanding and gap-filling and making thing fit. its the painting that makes the big difference in the end.
    The tamiya 1:48 models are in a different class altogether, just beautiful precision.
    A lot of hobby and toyshops have airfix and revell now and ive bought a few off ebay with no problems (and much cheaper of course!). Unfortunately getting the paints in Ireland is not so easy, you will have to go online to get them, but again: half the price on-line so no worries.
    Both Airfix and Revell do starter kits containing glue paintbrush and 4 - 6 paints at a pretty reasonable price so that might be a good place to start.
    Good luck with it anyway.

Thanks Dave,
    Am trying an airfix kit, Gnat 1/72 to see if I can still build them. so far its
    going well, but not too worried about the finished product. Got a present
    of a Tamiya 1/72 Focke Wolfe 190, its still in the box.
    Best of luck with your modelling with your son, mine now 35 had no interest
    growing up no matter what I tried. The bug bites or doesnt nothing you
    can do about it.

Thanks again for your info
    Regards
    Maurice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

watch out for the 1/72 tamiya aircraft, most of them are Italeri kits in a tamiya box. Though as far as i can remember the Focke wolfe is an original tamiya tooling.
    Try a 1/48 kit.. specially the newer tamiya ones, just a dream to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've built a few the past 6 months with my 5 year old son and all I can say is go for the larger scale models if you can. I bought 3 1/144 models cheap on ebay and by God, you'd almost need a magnifying glass to assemble the small parts. I then bought a 1/72 scale Mig and it was much easier to build. However, I'm going to stick with 1/48 scale from now on as my eyes just aren't up to handling the smaller parts. Italeri models are poorly finished with Airfix/Revell being a step up, but by no means a perfect fit either. Tamiya have a good reputation but are expensive. I saw a 1/48 scale Spitfire in a model shop in Dublin for over €100. Too expensive for a 5 year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I saw a 1/48 scale Spitfire in a model shop in Dublin for over €100. Too expensive for a 5 year old!

But you bought it anyway because it was not really for him:D.

My eyesight is goin as well i think:eek:, i had one of the gliders up around the 1500 feet mark and was struggling to keep a good view of it.

Tamiya have a good reputation but are expensive. I saw a 1/48 scale Spitfire in a model shop in Dublin for over €100. Too expensive for a 5 year old!

Thats not right. Either the shop was mistaken/taking the piss/serious rip off. The right price for a 1/48 tamiya spit is about 20 to 25 quid.
    The 1/32 one is over 100, but thats probably the best model kit produced EVER, and also huge and well worth it.

Most single seater prop planes are in and around 20 to 25 euro from the likes of hannants, some of the newer jets are a bit more expensive.

In my opinion, Tamiya kits go so well together that they are ideal for beginners, Kids and adults, because they are easier to make and not huge effort like some other brands and you dont end up throwing you hat at it cos fhe fuselage wont join or any other messing. And also they look so much better when finished it gives you the feeling that you made somthing really nice.
    Also with the likes of revell and italari you really dont know what you are getting. Some of their kits are reboxed ones for 1970s/60s toolings and are rubbish, even the older tamiya kits are miles ahead of their time.

Heres an example, I wanted to make an aircraft with a metal finish so I got my hands on a revell b-58... after many evenings filling stuff and trying to get bits to go together half right... it went in the bin cos it was pure ****e. I got a tamiya mig15, built it in 3 evenings straight out of the box. Everything fit, wings lined up perfectly, zero messing. Tamiya all the way for me....

mig2.jpg

mig3.jpg

Not mistaken on the price as I checked again at lunchtime and its €105 for the 1/48 scale Spitfire.

Judging by what you say about the Tamiya kits, I'll look on the web tonight to see if I can get a good price on some larger scale models.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    But you bought it anyway because it was not really for him:D.

My eyesight is goin as well i think:eek:, i had one of the gliders up around the 1500 feet mark and was struggling to keep a good view of it.

Yup, my eyesight is finally getting shaky as I'm getting blurry when my planes get to a certain height, and I'm afraid its nowhere near as high as 1,500 feet. Will have to start getting glasses. Oh the shame.......:o

Yup, my eyesight is finally getting shaky as I'm getting blurry when my planes get to a certain height, and I'm afraid its nowhere near as high as 1,500 feet. Will have to start getting glasses. Oh the shame.......:o

I climbed the cularis to near my sight limit during the week, it was 11 minutes gliding down, the first 5 were a bit of a struggle to keep a good eye on it (or the good eye:)). A lot depends how the sky looks.

A 1/48th scale is actually 110,000 times smaller than the full size one.

Not mistaken on the price as I checked again at lunchtime and its €105 for the 1/48 scale els.

Sorry dave, didnt mean you were mistaken.. I ment the shop is. It would want to be one serious top class 1/48 kit for 100 quid.
    Just on the eyesight thing, im the same, but got one of those natural light bulbs in Inspiring ideas in blanch a few weeks ago. It really helps with those tiny bits that are fast becomming invisible!

Try hannants.co.uk
    Netmerchants.com
    Hlj.com (cheaper prices but higher postage)

Yes looks like a the Focke Wulf 190 is an original Tamyia tooling and not reboxed according to the kit review site I checked.

maurice

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joesdios

Hi Maurice M try TAMIYA 1/35 scale my son makes all scales and makes but
    TAMIYA models are by far the best (his words) but seeing the finished work
    I have to agree they are superb Marks Models have a great selection good luck and enjoy it.
    PS keep telling your wife their not toys and your not a child it works for
    me 'I think' ha ha

Advertisement