Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation before or after starting new job?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am starting a new job in the middle of next month and I will be moving to Belfast where I know barely anyone. I only live just over an hour away so I will be able to commute for a while but it cost double to commute then it would for me just to pay rent. So I want to move up there, but due to the fact I dont know anyone I am unsure if I should wait till I start and see if I meet anyone in my work place looking to share or should I just try and get something ASAP?

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think certainly find out what the market is like and maybe consider finding somewhere you can stay short-term, e.g. as a lodger, paying week-to-week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Or if you can afford it, book yourself into a cheap B&B or hotel for a couple of days and sound out your new colleagues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

OP I recently relocated in a similar situation and found it was a great help in getting/feeling settled having a permanent place to call home from day one, but I am renting a place on my own so that may not be an option fo ryou. It really makes you feel more at home though having a place to call your own so if you could ask your new employers for a hand with it I am sure they might know of some places for rent etc. or if any colleagues have a spare room available?

Advertisement