Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Surge Protection/Diverter

• 23-02-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,
    was looking around and couldn't find an answer, I was just wondering how exactly do you wire a Surge diverter into the consumer unit,
    All my mates I asked had never wired one and I tried asking the wholesaler and he hadn't a clue.
    any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

what brand
    any link
    the ones i have fitted :
    live in top
    earth off main busbar bottom
    this is the cartridge type of surge protector

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

http://www.erico.com/products/DSD140.asp

this is the exact one here,
    it is the cartridge type.
    Live in top?
    whereabouts do I take the live from, just loop in and out after the main switch fuse?

Seanbass wrote: »
    http://www.erico.com/products/DSD140.asp

this is the exact one here,
    it is the cartridge type.
    Live in top?
    whereabouts do I take the live from, just loop in and out after the main switch fuse?

i would feed it off 20amp mcb on its own (not on elcb)just for isolation purposes as it does not take a load
    the whole installation will be protected

ah ok, thanks alot man
    just to clarify,
    take an extra feed after the swichfuse into a seperate mcb to feed the surge diverter and it will protect all circuits?

spot on
    10 square earth then to busbar

• Advertisement

thats perfect man,
    thanks alot, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

You sound like a guy with some experience on fitting these, what's the easiest type or make to look for at the wholesalers when fitting in an existing consumer unit? Cheers

county5 wrote: »
    You sound like a guy with some experience on fitting these, what's the easiest type or make to look for at the wholesalers when fitting in an existing consumer unit? Cheers

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/distribution-control_consumer-units-accessories_accessories_ac-power-surge-protector-230volt.html

straightforward enough
    cartridge type
    wont disconnect power even if it trips out
    just replace cartridge

• Registered Users Posts: 23 county5

Expensive little huars but I guess better than a wrecked tv or pc, thank you very much for the speedy reply and putting up the link, thank you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

just using this thread as it seems to match my query. I have an induction hob which on two occasions now has been damaged after power being lost to the house/hob. After power being restored the hob has shown an error condition. The service engineer has been out and its seems different components have failed. The first time it was covered under warranty but now the manufacturer is saying the damage is due to power surges and thus isnt their responsibility.

What has me worried is if i get it repaired, how can I protect the unit from future surges that I cant control, ie there might be esb failures or I might need to turn the power off at the mains fuse box.

Are any of the referred devices suitable for my needs? So if a surge is detected, will a cartridge need replacing before we can use the hob again? Does that mean an electrician is needed? I believe the hob is on a 30AMP circuit if that has any bearing?

Thanks
    W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

hager also do these din rail type surge arrestors, cost approx 65 euro plus the cost to install it.
    spn140 d is the code

Hi all,

just using this thread as it seems to match my query. I have an induction hob which on two occasions now has been damaged after power being lost to the house/hob. After power being restored the hob has shown an error condition. The service engineer has been out and its seems different components have failed. The first time it was covered under warranty but now the manufacturer is saying the damage is due to power surges and thus isnt their responsibility.

What has me worried is if i get it repaired, how can I protect the unit from future surges that I cant control, ie there might be esb failures or I might need to turn the power off at the mains fuse box.

Are any of the referred devices suitable for my needs? So if a surge is detected, will a cartridge need replacing before we can use the hob again? Does that mean an electrician is needed? I believe the hob is on a 30AMP circuit if that has any bearing?

Thanks
    W.

im surprised damage occurred due to loss of power only(how did loss of power occur and how do you know it was a surge?was anything else affected)
    if the surge protector detects a surge and needs replacing an indicator is visible.it will not shut down the power thus allowing appliances to be used,you can remove and replace cartridge without power loss.an electrician will not be required to replace the cartridge if you are instructed how to perform the task

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

http://www.dehn.de/pdf/blitzplaner/Chapters/BBP_E_Chapter_08.pdf

This may help then again it might confuse.

I had another link which said that instead of a branch from the phase to the SPD, the SPD should be wired in a V shape with the phase going in and out of the SPD.

Advertisement