Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defoe

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

What ever happened to the player we signed in 2003

He was a young, hungry, lethal finisher

Think he scored 7 in his first 4/5 games for Spurs (in a very poor team)

Remember his goal v the scum in the 4-3 game

Thought he was gonna turn into a serious talent

It's very Sad, but that player is gone

Where did it all go wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

im disappointed every time i see him start a game lately. cos if he isnt scoring goals he offers nothing to the team. and lets call a spade a spade here. he is not scoring goals...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deise_yid

JD is in horrible form. At the moment i fear terribly for us. Crouch isnt a natural goal scorer and Pav, although the best finisher at the club can be lazy and selfish at times. With VdV and Bale out, I really dont know where the goals will come from. After all the giving out about Robbie I wonder should we have kept him just as an alternative. Harry not signin a striker before the end of Jan cud seriously cost us. Im praying that one goal is all JD needs and they will start raining in for him, Keep the faith.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I normally like a selfish striker but i don't like Defoe anymore.
    It seems to be all about him.
    I also think there may be something wrong behind the scenes for him.
    He tries to portray loads of confidence but i think he's trying to reassure himself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Robbie Keane was allways a better striker than Defoe or Pav.

I dunno about that tippspur, He has a very good goal scoring record but has done SFA to impress Harry. We should have offloaded him last summer and brought someone else in thats good enough for europe and will guarantee 15 - 20 league goals a season. In fairness we thought JD was going to be that player but hes never come back from that injury and his confidence is gone. Hes not the same player he was. You have to ask if Harry wanted to offload JD in the summer how much would he get for him? Would it be the likes of Chelsea/City/United looking for him? I dont think so. I hate to admit it but i think hes a spent force. We are in desperate need of a top quality striker. Levy was rushing around europe offering mad money for a striker and when you hear 35million being talked about for Giuseppe Rossi it would make you ask serious questions. If we had went gung-ho to sign Adebayor/Benzema, It would have been a massive boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

deise_yid wrote: »
    I hate to admit it but i think hes a spent force.

Ah cmon, he's only 28 ffs..

As I said. I hoping in proved wrong!!! Im hoping all he needs is one goal and then they will start raining in! COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

When he's fire everything seems to go in for him..But he has never been a great finisher, he just seems to smack the ball as hard as he can and hope it flies in.

I also think the chap was born offside, it really bugs me. Maybe we should have kept Mr Bent??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

To parapharse Mr Dunphy Defoe was never a great striker he was a good striker. Look back at when he left Spurs in 07 he didn't go to any of the top clubs he went to pompey. Similarly when he left them to come back to us in early 09 there was hardly a huge clamour to sign him.

Hopefully he gets some bit of form soon but realistically if we want to be up there challenging in the league and in Europe we'll have to replace him in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    To parapharse Mr Dunphy Defoe was never a great striker he was a good striker.

Possibly the first time I would ever agree with that pri*k Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Cant agree lads. I am keeping the faith in Jizzle. He will come good with VDV cuteness. Crouch is a different matter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Seillejet wrote: »
    Cant agree lads. I am keeping the faith in Jizzle. He will come good with VDV cuteness. Crouch is a different matter though.

In fairness Crouch is the man for the European games, as he has proved he can score goals in Europe. None more important than the goal in Milan, lets not also forget the goal that beat Blackburn either. I agree his record in the league is poor but to totally ignore him as an option would be wrong IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Defoe has picked up an injury in Dubai no clue how long he'll be out for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Seillejet wrote: »

disagree.

crouch, although im not a fan, even when he doesnt score offers something during the match. defoe i feel when he doesnt score offers nothing and i do mean nothing to the team. he link up play is non existant and his passing? well i cant comment on his passing cos i never see him do it.

personally i cant see harry starting defoe and VDV together that often. most of VDV goals have come from knock downs off crouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Looks like decode will resume training next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Defoe has picked up an injury in Dubai no clue how long he'll be out for

Won't be out for long.He tweeted earlier It's in the press I've done my ankle again. It's not true I'm cool. My foot was little sore in training but scan showed all fine, I'm happy

Advertisement