Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill bits for porcelain tiles

• 23-02-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am having a bit of a nightmare with my new bathroom, i have had the tilers in and had some porcelain tiles laid on the floor and walls.

I am fixing the toilet and sinks but am having a tough time drilling holes in the porcelain tiles. I am managing to get 2-3 holes drilled before the drill bit breaks.

I have tried a 5 types of special tile bits (bosch was one make) so far, and am making slow progress.

Am using a variable speed drill at the lowest setting, and am using water to cool the bit after a minute of drilling. Just wondering if i need an industrial strength bit or a different drill or should i not cool the bit in water?

Thanks
    Flop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

have you tried the type that looks like a blunt arrowhead, ive used these before and not had any brake on me.

http://teakdoor.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/10332/TILE--GLASS-DRILL-BIT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

flop wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am having a bit of a nightmare with my new bathroom, i have had the tilers in and had some porcelain tiles laid on the floor and walls.

I am fixing the toilet and sinks but am having a tough time drilling holes in the porcelain tiles. I am managing to get 2-3 holes drilled before the drill bit breaks.

I have tried a 5 types of special tile bits (bosch was one make) so far, and am making slow progress.

Am using a variable speed drill at the lowest setting, and am using water to cool the bit after a minute of drilling. Just wondering if i need an industrial strength bit or a different drill or should i not cool the bit in water?

Thanks
    Flop

Normal masonary bits and those arrow head bits are no good for porcelain tiles. However I'd say you're having good fun trying by the sound of it. :)

Go to a good plumbing shop or tile shop (not all do em) and get a proper diamond bit for porcelain they come in various sizes 6mm, 8mm, etc.

They are pretty fragile so the trick to using them is to use very little pressure, no hammer, low speed and keep the bit wet. Best way to keep the bit wet and not lecky yourself is use a pressure sprayer with a wand and lightly spary the bit as it is drilling. If you don't use water they burn out in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

This is what they look like;

Davies do em in Coolock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Buy diamond porc bits. Start with the small sizes and drill 2 to 3 holes.

Or else buy a rake of small masonary bits the 3 sizes and squart water from a washing up liquid bottle as you go.

Use the bottle anyway it works great.

Have a cloth to clean the liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

diamond core bits are prob best but I hate them.

I personally use an sds drill on hammer but am doing stuff like this every week so i've got a knack for it. Theres a big risk of cracking tiles either way anyway.

These are also good

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=71077&cat=&load_page=Faithfull+Tile+Max+Porcelain+Drill+Bit+6.5+X+100+Mm

key is to use a variable speed electric drill with these and turn it down so its slow, also have a cup of water handy to dip the drill bit in every 30sec or so, so it doesn't burn out. Do this and the bit shouldn't burn out as long as its on a slow speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement