Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB upgrade put me back to 1999

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

so begins a tale of woe......

2009 moved into new rented accomodation , ordered BB and I was warned that the most the line could take was 3mb. I was fine with that.

Zip along through time with me to end of Jan 2011 - ngb upgrade. Thought nothing of it given that I know that the house line is crap (the distance from the exchange is chronic). Basically the house predates the exchange.
    What I didnt expect though were speeds veering between 460 kbs to 160 kbs to 2048 kbs (a personal best at the minute).Basically adios BB and welcome back the heady days of ISDN lines :eek:

I've had an engineer out , who reckons all is well. I've waited 2 weeks to get a filter sent out from eircom.There is no such delay with billing of course.
    I've been on to numerous tech support people , including one very optimistic girl who tried to bump me up to 8mb. Needless to say that ended in disaster.
    Now I'm back provisioned to 2mb.I've yet to break 2048 kbs for longer than an hour though.
    I'm currently waiting for another engineer to call out but I must admit that I dont have high hopes.It seems the phoneline has degraded ( is that even possible ?)
    Can I ask what do I have to do to get Eircom to run a new phone line - and would that sort out the problems ???
    I read somewhere that the SLA for phonelines in Ireland is 14,400 - that surely cant be right ???

When I put a telephone on the line the noise is insane and even voice calls arent feasible.I dont need 20mb nor anything close to it.I was quite happy with life at 3mb.TBH I wouldnt have a use for anything over 5mb on my best day.
    However in fairness the current situation is beyond all joking.
    Anyone got any ideas ??? I'm in Bishopstown in Cork BTW , connected to the Dennehy's Cross exchange.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

horgan_p wrote: »
    Howdy all,

so begins a tale of woe......

2009 moved into new rented accomodation , ordered BB and I was warned that the most the line could take was 3mb. I was fine with that.

Zip along through time with me to end of Jan 2011 - ngb upgrade. Thought nothing of it given that I know that the house line is crap (the distance from the exchange is chronic). Basically the house predates the exchange.
    What I didnt expect though were speeds veering between 460 kbs to 160 kbs to 2048 kbs (a personal best at the minute).Basically adios BB and welcome back the heady days of ISDN lines :eek:

I've had an engineer out , who reckons all is well. I've waited 2 weeks to get a filter sent out from eircom.There is no such delay with billing of course.
    I've been on to numerous tech support people , including one very optimistic girl who tried to bump me up to 8mb. Needless to say that ended in disaster.
    Now I'm back provisioned to 2mb.I've yet to break 2048 kbs for longer than an hour though.
    I'm currently waiting for another engineer to call out but I must admit that I dont have high hopes.It seems the phoneline has degraded ( is that even possible ?)
    Can I ask what do I have to do to get Eircom to run a new phone line - and would that sort out the problems ???
    I read somewhere that the SLA for phonelines in Ireland is 14,400 - that surely cant be right ???

When I put a telephone on the line the noise is insane and even voice calls arent feasible.I dont need 20mb nor anything close to it.I was quite happy with life at 3mb.TBH I wouldnt have a use for anything over 5mb on my best day.
    However in fairness the current situation is beyond all joking.
    Anyone got any ideas ??? I'm in Bishopstown in Cork BTW , connected to the Dennehy's Cross exchange.

Hi horgan_p
    that does sound wrong.. If you PM me your line no I can investigate these issues for you and will get back to you by end of week.
    Tony

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

PM sent.

Appreciate you guys taking the time to deal with this. Hopefully it can get sorted out.

Called it too soon

back to 480k. damn it , it synced at 5mb at 1 pm.

What the hell is going on ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Called it too soon

back to 480k. damn it , it synced at 5mb at 1 pm.

What the hell is going on ???

Hi horgan_p,

My colleague has been looking at your broadband connection and has recently advised on your current connection status.

I will check this with Tony later and will look into further.

All the best
    Ant

Hey guys ,

Any update on this ???

• Advertisement

Hey guys ,

Any update on this ???

Hi Horgan_p
    there is a tech currently working on this issue ( since approx 11:00) and am awaiting feedback from him. I should have some info this afternoon.
    Tony

Tony ,

Thanks for the update , looking forward to drawing a line under this today (hopefully )

Howdy all , quick update.

Tech called yesterday , and again found a line fault outside the house.
    Having fixed the issue , it seems I might have turned the corner on this one.I'll give it the weekend though before handing out the medals.

Howdy all , quick update.

Tech called yesterday , and again found a line fault outside the house.
    Having fixed the issue , it seems I might have turned the corner on this one.I'll give it the weekend though before handing out the medals.

Hi horgan_p
    yes have seen his notes, have sent you a PM re issue. I hope so too. Let me know if no change.
    Goodluck. Hope you have a good weekend.
    Tony

Advertisement