Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Service Department

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I have been tasked by our Financial department to create a list of costs that our IT service department can account for.

Basically what it cost to run a services department and to support users.

I want to know if I have all base's covered in the report.

Currently I have a list of costs but feel I may be missing out on some information
    I have the following accounted for already:

Phone system
    WAN/fibre links/PRI link
    Internet line rental
    Coporate network service levels

The cost of all company software licenses, CRM/ helpdesk etc
    Cost of IT staff and IT contractors

Maintenance and support of systems, phone systems, printers,mobile computers
    Mobile phone account

Can you think of anything else?
    I want to make this as thorough as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

do you do off-site tape backup too? depending on how thorough you want to be, you can account for PC and server lifecycles, warranties, how often and how many you replace or upgrade, unless you've covered that in "Maintenance and support of systems". Assuming you've a server room & depending on how large the company is, is your dept billed for power? Do you have air-con? fire supressant? The details you give could generally cover everything i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Cheers,

I need to put the comm's room UPS systems, power and air con on the report.
    Im thinking I have all the other bases covered.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Are you sure your Financial Department isn't trying to find out whether it would be cheaper to outsource your job? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

swampgas wrote: »
    Are you sure your Financial Department isn't trying to find out whether it would be cheaper to outsource your job? :D

I was asked to do something similar a few years before being made redundant, so could be!

Not to worry you!

Anyway don't forget to factor in consumables that are expensive, like backup tapes. As stated by others, ongoing training (of IT staff and provided by IT staff if applicable).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

never though of that
    Ill leave my costs out so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Begin writing your CV...if you are working in that IT Department !
    Sorry,no offence !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Obviously some mention of depreciation and the need to replace both hardware and software once it becomes end of life or its support is retired. There should be a budget for forward planning of future costs already I would hope. E.g. once Windows XP support ends in 2014 many companies will be forced move to Windows 7, this will cost a lot in many ways. You've got to forecast your future upgrades as much as possible.

Advertisement