Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble with .22lr liscence

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

filled out my .22lr liscence application and went in and met my local gardai that deals with firearms and i can tell he doesnt like the idea of civilians having firearms:rolleyes: he was not helpful and said that i have to get a serial number off my silencer and apply for that seperatley?????????
    that 2 short sentences from a friend saying i can shoot on his land will be sufficient but wouldnt clearly state what would be sufficient??:mad:
    said he doubts the super will grant me rifle 6 weeks after gettin shotgun???
    that my referees are too young besides the fact they have 5years gun experience one even has a .308
    and i stated that i needed the rifle for vermin control on lands im getting permission from he said why cant you do that with shotgun i said alot of stuff has been out of range of shotgun and rifle is more suitable and quiet at night!
    im a member of local gun club aswell

i took application from him and said okay ill come back with more writing etc
    ?
    what are your guys views?
    is it true silencers have to be applied for seperatley?
    is being in a gun club enough to get a rifle or is permission from landowner needed? my plan is to right out a nice long paragraph or so why i need rifle and get the landowner im gettin permission from to write out a nice long letter aswell
    and to fill a new application leaving out silencer

any advice for me? seems my super is a fcuk:mad: my friends in neighbouring district dont have to fill a sheet for reason to needing gun or need to get serial numbers for silencers or anything!

my pl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

afaik mods dont have seriel numbers:confused: id send it in when your happyeberything is in order, keep the letters short and sweet. if you have good reason to have a rifle he cant really refuse it because he doesnt like civies havin guns and since vermin comtrol is a good reason you are covered there. as for your references its not up to him and i think it says on comissioners guidelines they have to be over 18. good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

thanks for reply! ya ill get my permission written up a bit better as long with my reason for needingirts only a .22 imagine me asking for a .243:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I think if an fo wants a serial number you have no choice but to do it..
    I dont understand why he wants you to apply seperate, its not going to save any time just cost you an extra 80 for your troubles

Also you can apply for a shotgun one morning and a rifle in the evening if you want, i got a rifle first and a shotgun two weeks later.

thats mad j isint it, bul**** that when there is a space on the same application for it askin for it seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There's a silencer/mod thread on here where I've said that I got a Mod licence for 3 months till Oct 10. I've already had to reapply and got it for another year till Oct 11. I've no serial number on my Mod. Best bit was when Guard said, after I'd been twice trying to get all the bits filled in, that I might need permission to have Sights but he'll submit application as is and see how it goes!
    Oh, forgot to add it didn't cost extra, even when I applied for Mod licence when I had Rifle licence it cost nothing extra! Got an A4 letter to say I have permission to use a Mod on my Rifle, serial number xxxxxxx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Need a serial number on the mod easy get the date engraved on it
    23032011 or 03232011 any jeweller will do it for you.

ah its a joke guys to be honest:mad::mad:

im just going to apply for the gun first on its own then silencer can be applied for later not even gonna mention scope either! my dealer will sell me both on the cutie anyway if i cant get permission:cool:

ill bring them to court if i have to im getting that .22lr and thats that:D

no permission needd for scope its only for night vision scope so your grand there lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

ah its a joke guys to be honest:mad::mad:

im just going to apply for the gun first on its own then silencer can be applied for later not even gonna mention scope either! my dealer will sell me both on the cutie anyway if i cant get permission:cool:

wouldn't advise getting a mod without permission, its never going to end well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You could try telling your FO that there's no serial number on the mod and that's why there's nowhere on the form to put a serial number.
    Also there's a mention on the guidelines for using a mod on the 22lr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

I have an air rifle for a few years. Got 223 licence
    In 4 week last april & a shot gun licence in 3 weeks
    This year. I had a chat with local garda about
    Silencer , he siad there should be no problem
    I guess it depends on the garda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

he was not helpful and said that i have to get a serial number off my silencer and apply for that seperatley?????????

Wrong. You apply for the mod at the same time as the rifle. Tick the box in section 3.2 and give a reason on a seperate piece of paper as to why you need/want it. You only apply seperately if you buy a mod after getting a rifle.
    that 2 short sentences from a friend saying i can shoot on his land will be sufficient but wouldnt clearly state what would be sufficient??

There is no standard or maximum/minimum letter length. All it should do is give clear permission to shoot on the lands owned by them, and if possible other details such as folio numbers would be a help, but not a necessity.
    said he doubts the super will grant me rifle 6 weeks after gettin shotgun???

Wrong. There is no limit or time frame on the amount of firearms you can own or how often you can buy them.
    that my referees are too young besides the fact they have 5years gun experience one even has a .308

Once they are over 18 and of good chatacter they are suitable. They do not even have to be firearm owners. Its more to attest to your character and ability to be safe.
    im a member of local gun club aswell

That is enough "good reason", and as a member of a gun club the land permissions are extra and not actually needed.
    afaik mods dont have seriel numbers:confused: !

Some do, most i've seen don't.
    jap gt wrote: »
    I think if an fo wants a serial number you have no choice but to do it .

If it comes with one supply it, but there is no specific law stating that a mod has to have a serial number or that you cannot have one if it does not have a serial number.
    ............. I got a Mod licence for 3 months till Oct 10. I've already had to reapply and got it for another year till Oct 11. I've no serial number on my Mod.

Allow to clarify this for everyone.

If you have an "S" on the bottom left corner of your license then you have permission to hold/use and possess a moderator. If you do not have the "S" then you are not authorised.
    Now before you all start saying i have a letter from my Super allow me to cover that. The letter from your Super is pointless and invalid. The reason for the "S" on your license is so that ANY Garda can see you are authorised, but most importantly if the license is printed with the "S" then the authorisation is recorded on PULSE. A letter from your Super with no "S" is not recorded on PUSE and has no meaning/validity.

My advice to anyone that has a letter from their Super instead of the "S" on their license is to get back to their station and request a reprinted license with the "S" now included on it.

..........., that I might need permission to have Sights but he'll .............

As mentioned unless they are NV, etc you DO NOT need authorisation or permission to have a regular scope on your rifle. If told otherwise you are being lead astray and should challenge the person in question.

Apply for them all at once. The Super has the right to refuse you on the mod, but for not to receive the application. Also the right to APPLY for a license is an entitlement (one of the few we have), but getting it is up to your Super.

Also there is nothing to prevent an RFD from selling mods. It is the responsibility of the firearms owner to be licensed to own/possess it. So there is no need for "selling on the Q-T". Its perfectly legal to sell, but you will face prosectution if caught with one without a license.
    no permission need for scope its only for night vision scope so your grand there lad

+1. Correct.
    jap gt wrote: »
    wouldn't advise getting a mod without permission, its never going to end well

As above. Nothing illegal for the RFD to sell it, but its up to the buyer to have the necessary licenses to have/own/possess/use one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks again guys for the sound advice im just gonna get it sorted and put it in they dont have any reasonable grounds to refuse to be fair:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

thanks again guys for the sound advice im just gonna get it sorted and put it in they dont have any reasonable grounds to refuse to be fair:D

Just play ball with him.
    Explain that you were on to Citizens information and they explained you had to apply for Rifle and Mod on same form with licences to run cuncurrently.

Sympathise that the Gardaí are overworked and under paid.

And that you don't want to let Farmer X down by not controlling foxes for him.
    If you go in all cocky you will just get his back up.

Go in softly softly, but Informed.

Massage his Ego and explain clearly and slowly why you need it.
    When I was a young lad I ran into similar stuff when I was applying fior my 3rd fireamr "Shur won't 1 do ya"

If you go in every day regular as clock work and are nice and polite he will sort you out just to get rid of you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BTW,you could also mention that his opinion of citizens holding firearms,is his opinion and very welcome to it under our democratic society that values such...Just dont let his opinion cloud him from doing his DUTY fairly and without prejudice to you.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    BTW,you could also mention that his opinion of citizens holding firearms,is his opinion and very welcome to it under our democratic society that values such...Just dont let his opinion cloud him from doing his DUTY fairly and without prejudice to you.:)

You could.
    It'd be a really bad idea, but hey, it's a free country.
    Personally, I'd wait to see if they're going to break the law before I'd start talking like that to someone in uniform...
    ...and I'd be certain that I had enough in the bank to pay for the solicitor before I'd start picking that fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

In fairness the guidelines are clear but the application form is not clear when it comes to the "box to tick" for a scope.

The best thing someone applying for a licence can do is go to "Garda.ie" and have a good read of their own guidelines. If you set off on the right foot and be patient, it can prevent alot of further problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Rosahane

A couple of years ago my daughter, who now lives and works in the West of Ireland applied for a shotgun licence for a nice little 20 bore I had got for her. She heard nothing for about three months and after numerous calls managed to catch the local Guard after work one evening in the station. He said he remember the application but thought it was a joke as a woman had never previously applied there for a gun licence :D

She went ballistic, and believe me she can hit the high notes when she wants to. :eek:
    Wasn't helped by the fact that her education and training is in Sociology and she is very political. She rang the Super's office first thing next morning looking for an appointment.

When she came home from work that evening her in laws said the Guard had called twice and he arrived again about a half hour later, with an application already filled in for her to sign. She asked did he need any more paperwork - no, just the serial no and make of the gun - which I got for her the next day.

The licence arrived five days later :D

Hm. There isn't a box to tick for a scope, unless it's a nightvision scope (That's what the 'sights/other' box is for in 3.2). But yes, that's very unclear on the form. It's sadly par for the course with these forms - the old one wasn't exactly a model of clarity itself either.

Even though I was an adult I had to bring my Da to the station before the sgt would sign off on application for a 6.5.

Any person who goes in all shouty gets the folded arms.

Nice polite and read up on lnfo from garda.ie is all one needs.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Hm. There isn't a box to tick for a scope, unless it's a nightvision scope (That's what the 'sights/other' box is for in 3.2). But yes, that's very unclear on the form. It's sadly par for the course with these forms - the old one wasn't exactly a model of clarity itself either.

It is getting better though.

At least mods cab be easily applied for now, and ammo limits for me at least were greatly increased.

Lots of lads were using mods for years with no authorisation as nobody knew F'all about them or how to apply for them.

Sights is confusing though and should really be clarified

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

Thats the problem Sparks, there is no mention of "night vision" on the FCA1 accessories section. It says under section 3.2 accessories, "tick if appropriate" "sights/other" and a box to tick(plus an area to specify "other"). Whos to say it does not mean a scope?

You know what it means, as does most people reading forums like this but its not to the letter of the FCA1

Well, the Firearms Act is to say it doesn't mean a normal scope. That's the really nasty bit about the form - it's the responsibility of the applicant to get it right. If you put in for a licence for an unrestricted firearm on what's actually restricted, for example, and the Gardai don't catch the error, they carry no liability if you're ever caught and done for possession of an unlicenced firearm.

You'd hope any judge with sense would clatter them for it, but that's not going to help with your stress levels before that point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

In all my applications I filled that section with the make and power of the scope I put on the rifle, I know tht i didn't have to but it didn't hurt either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You could.
    It'd be a really bad idea, but hey, it's a free country.
    Personally, I'd wait to see if they're going to break the law before I'd start talking like that to someone in uniform...
    ...and I'd be certain that I had enough in the bank to pay for the solicitor before I'd start picking that fight...

Well in the fact the Gaurd in the abovementioned case already expressed his opinion of his dislike of civillians owning firearms...Wouldnt the rest of the post suggest obstructiveness and /or total ignorance of the firearms application procedure?? We can forgive him the latter if he hasnt been properly trained on it,and he is certainly welcome to have a100% differing opinion on anything,hey it is a more or less "free" country.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But if he is going use his "authorithy" to enforce his" opinion "and dislike of a certain type of people or subject.Well then we are on a different page altogether,and in in a not so free country at all,where we must cower at the pleasure or displeasure of a uniform???.But lets not blame himm too much..He is proably just aping the opinion from his superiors.Who know no doubt 100% better than him,and it saves on the thinking about somthing he isnt intrested in anyway.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

are night vision scopes not totally illegal in ireland? thats what a lad in a gun dealers told me only few weeks ago!

kemen wrote: »
    are night vision scopes not totally illegal in ireland? thats what a lad in a gun dealers told me only few weeks ago!

They are "Not" totally illegal

They are restricted

They are "Not" totally illegal
    They are restricted
    They are neither illegal nor restricted. They do, however, require permission from your local superintendent, the same as a sound moderator does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 simonslife

I have a GSG - 5 with a York Gun customised suppressor. The mags came with 10 round limiters but these restrictors come out with a light rattle allowing for 24 rounds with ease. Is this illeagal and if so will anyone at a range care? How much trouble would the Gardai cause. Can I have my firearm taken off me if found with these high capacity mags. [Naturally, I have never actually loaded them fully but I am curious]

• Advertisement

If you remove the limiters and you don't have a restricted licence for the GSG-5, then yes, that's illegal. You could (in theory) be done for possession of an unlicenced firearm, but it's more likely that if caught, you'd "just" lose the licence. The firearm wouldn't be confiscated... but without a licence you couldn't possess it, so it'd sit somewhere in storage until you managed to get a licence again or sold it on.

Advertisement