Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone used fencelife

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Used Fencelife last year on garden fence. Now I noticed that at the side of garden more open to rain as rain comes from one side more, the fence is showing through? Other side of garden is OK.

I put it on generously and went over any where it seemed dry as it drys it very quick. Seems useless

Similar thread here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

it is useless
    its basically colured water

an oil based stain or cresote type product would give better protection,the catch is....................... cost

as with all things you pay for what you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

soundsham wrote: »
    it is useless

an oil based stain or cresote type product would give better protection,the catch is....................... cost

i used Bondex on shed and it is fine. it is oil based i think. They claim water based are nearly as good as oil based but i think it is rubbish. I wonder what is the situation from a consumer point of view...
    cresote type product
    smell though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 nb83

Would anyone know if you could use a masonry paint mixed with EB bonding primer to paint a wooden garden fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    Used Fencelife last year on garden fence. Now I noticed that at the side of garden more open to rain as rain comes from one side more, the fence is showing through? Other side of garden is OK.

I put it on generously and went over any where it seemed dry as it drys it very quick. Seems useless

Similar thread here

Yeah, rubbish.

soundsham wrote: »
    it is useless

Being water based is not the problem, in fact IMO most water based paints are as good if not better than traditional oil based equivalents.

Agree, you do get what you pay for. Masonry paints are very good for painting garden sheds/fences, eg McPherson or Weathershield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Masonry paints are very good for painting garden sheds/fences, eg McPherson or Weathershield.

Really is this true do you have to mix it with anything or just paint on

wexford12 wrote: »
    Really is this true do you have to mix it with anything or just paint on

No, just paint directly onto timbers. Here are some examples: http://www.owenchubblandscapers.com/news/?cat=130

If you want to stretch the coverage, some might dilute first coat with water. We prefer to paint undiluted. Good coverage with a great opaque finish that is smooth and hardwearing against all the elements.

Only paints we use are McPherson and Weathershield. Excellent well proven quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could you paint that stuff on top of Fencelife treated wood? Also, is it available in green, do you know?

Alun wrote: »
    Could you paint that stuff on top of Fencelife treated wood? Also, is it available in green, do you know?

Hi Alun

should be no problem, but give the timber a quick wipe down with wirebrush/sandpaper block. Actually green is a wonderful colour :D, check for 'TARN' on the McPherson colourchart. It's prepared in-store. We've used it often and is very popular.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I know it's not recommended but half diesel half waste oil mix is top stuff, just don't tell the EPA..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 nb83

where would you buy the wooden boards in the picture and could you stick them onto the fence thats already there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Has anyone used Cuprinol? I found Fencelife is useless too and left patches showing after a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i painted my fence 3 years ago with fence life and its still as good as new .

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I put three coats of fencelife on my fence and shed 5 yrs ago, granted it should have been redone last year but it does not look so bad now. It will get a few coats this year though.

Advertisement