Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discreet places to put a tattoo

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I REALLY want to get a tattoo in memory of my gran. She was one of the most important and influential people in my life and I want to have something with me forever to remind me of her.

I want to get a Forget Me Not flower in a discreet place. I don't want the tattoo to be visible as it's a personal thing to me and also, I still live at home with my dad and he DESPISES tattoos. I'm 22 but won't be moving out for the forseeable future so I don't want to wait to get it.

So, people of the Tattoos and Piercings forum, I need your help! Can any of you suggest some cool and interesting but discreet places?

I was thinking of the back of my neck or somewhere unnoticeable like that.

Thanks Boardsies! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Janis Joplin had a discreet tattoo placed where her watch usually was. Maybe that might be an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 theneurotic

I've got a 'discreet' tattoo on the back of my neck,strategically placed just below shirt collar level (for work). In normal clothes, tshirts, vests, etc, it gets way more attention than the big fcuk off one that runs up the side of my shoulder blade...way, way more. I don't know why; it's rather small. Maybe that's why it gets commented on, because it is small, or whatever...but if you really want one that your dad of all people won't see, maybe go for your upper thigh, lower back, hip/rib area...I can't imagine your dad seeing much of those areas. Or, no disrespect intended, get it wherever the hell you want, you're 22 and it's not really his problem. You'd be amazed how quick they get over the first tattoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

sorry, but the neck and wrist are two of the least discreet places one could hope to tattoo.

basically, the further in you move from the head, hands and feet - the less likely anyone will see it.

Actually discreet spots include: anywhere on the thigh, arse, torso and back (particularly lower down).

Less discreet but easily covered: Foot, upper back/shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tiffbunny

Don't let a temporary hindrance dictate a lifelong decision. Sooner or later, he IS going to see it, and he (according to your post) IS going to flip out. And then most likely, he will get over it. So the most reasonable advice you can take is to think about where *you* want to have the tat for the rest of your life, and put it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

the inner upper arm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

depends on how observant your dad is, friend of mine has starts across her neck and he noticed 4 years later...

my dad didnt notice my undercut... or piercings...

so heres the deal, you're parents kinda have to love you and if you're 22 and still at home, the likelyhood is they do love you...

get it, then show him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

To remember your granmother, why not get a lovely chain, bracelet or something like that for the meantime?
    You should wait to get it.
    Put a tattoo somewhere you want, not somewhere you "have to", to hide it, it will be on your body for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

My folks hate tattoos, warned me not to get one, threatened to disown, blah blah....

I got one.

They got over it.

It's now not even noticed anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

my folks were grand about my first tattoo but my granny was mortified and swore blind it wasnt real. i got my 2nd tat 4 years later and when she saw it she told her excitedly told her friends to have a look. people can get used to them. its your body. people tend to think along the lines of 'oh no id HATE to have tattoo's/tattoo's like that on MY body' but after the initial shock they realise its your body

Advertisement