Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gravel over lawn

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

part of the garden is very wet and muddy. I was thinking of putting down chips/gravel/dec stone.

would the lawn have to be dug out or can it be put over the grass?

And is there some geo-textile membrane that i would need. Is there anything cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    part of the garden is very wet and muddy. I was thinking of putting down chips/gravel/dec stone.

And is there some geo-textile membrane that i would need. Is there anything cheaper?

You would be better off to resolve your drainage first or you will have a muddy wet patch full of stones. Yes you have to remove turf and use membrane.

Remove the turf, remove any perenial weeds, level and compact the soil, lay a weed membrane and then cover with stones.

You can purchase cheaper rolls of weed supressing membrane but its like everything you get what you pay for. The big rolls you see at most garden centres the heavy guage is the better option. Secure it well border the stone and don't skimp likewise don't go mad on the volume of stone.

If it is too shallow all you will see is weed membrane poking through. Conversely too much and it's like walking around a scree slope you'll have calf muscles like arnie schwarzenegger.

Approx 40mm depth of stone is suffucient and comfortable to walk on just rake it level every now and again. For stone qty get your total area in metres say 5m x 5m = 25m2 x 0.04m = 1m3 of dec stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

MinnyMinor wrote: »

better spray grass with weed killer before you do any work on it. grass will be dead in about 3-4 weeks, then you can remove dead grass,then put heavy duty membrane (roll 1m x 50m about 45e) and over membrane stones/chips

but if there is very wet you should thing about drainage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that part of the garden lower than the rest, so gravity is resulting in the waterlogging? or is it compacted soil?

Advertisement