Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser eye surgery, yay or nay?

• 23-02-2011 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all! I'm seriously considering laser eye surgery. Getting sick of my specs and want the freedom back of full eyesight. I've been doing some research on the web & came across alot of horror stories which has put me rite off. Wud really like to hear some real life experiences so I can make my decision. Thanx :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Butterfly7 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm seriously considering laser eye surgery. Getting sick of my specs and want the freedom back of full eyesight. I've been doing some research on the web & came across alot of horror stories which has put me rite off. Wud really like to hear some real life experiences so I can make my decision. Thanx :cool:

I'm keeping my laser eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

A friend of mine got it done & she has never looked back...pardon the pun.

Another friend was told her eyesight wasn't bad enough to get get it done.

Go to an optician & ask them about it, if it's for you then they will advise you to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had it done in 2006 and never looked back. Boom Boom :D

No seriously I had it done in Optilase. €2990 but the best money I ever spent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

Pew Pew :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Berty wrote: »

No seriously I had it done in Optilase. 2990 but the best money I ever spent!!

Can you get it on the medical card?...I don't need it but if it's free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mate in work did it. Loved it.

Personally..... I prefer my dodgy eyesight over the slim possibility that something goes wrong in the op. Even the small potential side effects like dryness or a feeling of irritation are too much for me.

I don't mind wearing glasses or contacts either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

HoneyRyder wrote: »
    Pew Pew :pac:

Is Trent performing lasik now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A friends wife's cousins friend had it done and the lazer slipped and everybody died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i cant see it making much of a difference

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can you get it on the medical card?...I don't need it but if it's free...

Thank god you cannot. Laser eye surgery invariably is elective surgery and medical cards are supposedly only there for the needy.(although so many lazy healthy people have them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

beast ting uve ebewr dome!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

Berty wrote: »

No seriously I had it done in Optilase. €2990 but the best money I ever spent!!

they must have seen you coming:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

bonerm wrote: »
    Is Trent performing lasik now?

Amongst other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭hardcore

Yay, I dont want to be half blind all my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If you can read this you don't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Had it done in 07 great job although i did suffer with gritty eyes for a good while after. Driving at night was a bitch for a while cos the glare off oncoming cars drove me mad but i've no regrets about getting it done. Great to wake up in morning and not reach for the glasses first thing

I was only in theatre for about 10mins altogether. 2100 i paid for it plus you are entitled to claim back tax on it at the highest rate you are currently paying so thats not too bad either. I'd mine done in vision express in newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

My sister got it done and so did a good friend, both of them thought it was great.

My friend got it done in a clinic in Waterford around 3 years ago and had to have each eye done seperately with 10 days between each.

My sister got it done in optilase and got both eyes done at the same time. took about 15 mins and then she could perfectly. She thought their after service was brill as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I got it done, couldnt recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I got it done last April and it was the best money I ever spent. Was quite expensive but so worth it. Never had any trouble after. Got it done with Optical Express. Even the little things like being able to drive without glasses, and being able to wear nice sunglasses when driving were such novelties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just keep in mind that it's only a temporary solution to bad eyesight.

As you age, your eyesight will still continue to deteriorate, so at some stage you will most likely need to wear glasses or contacts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

As you age, your eyesight will still continue to deteriorate, so at some stage you will most likely need to wear glasses or contacts again.

This was one of my worries re. laser. I know people who have had it done and, three years' later, they're back to needing glasses. It varies from person to person.

I always planned on getting laser eye surgery, but I was nervous enough. Then, I discovered the continuous wear lens. You put them in at the start of the month and then take them out at the end - you leave them in all the time - sleeping and all - and you wake up and can see perfectly. They're the most comfortable lens I've even worn because they let so much air in, and it's the next best thing to being fully-sighted. Plus, if your eyesight deteriorates, you just change prescription and carry on. Not expensive either - can get them for €20 per month. That's over ten years' of lens for approx. the price of surgery and no worry about eyesight getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

I got lasik 5 years ago. I only regret I waited so long to get it done. It's some feeling the first few mornings not having to fumble for specs or mess around with contacts. I got one done at a time at no extra cost as I was also wary of something going wrong, im sure you could do that, it's pretty common.
    Nobody I know who got it regrets it.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I got it done about 3 years ago and never had a problem with it.
    Went with Optilase, a little pricey, but the aftercare service is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'll just wait ten years and buy new eyes. There isn't much I want to see in this country, so I generally only need glasses when I'm away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm definately going to do it at some stage.

Is there any pain involved during or after the procedure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

A friend of mine had this done and they managed to blind him and leave him in incredible pain for about two weeks.

It was pretty hilarious.

He went back and has had perfect sight since to be fair though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clive Solas

Got it done this time last year, took 20 mins, quite painless, only thing to get over is anxiety but they can prescribe a valium if you think you need it. Bit of sensitivity for about 12 hours afterwards but it passes. Keep taking eyedrops for about another 2 wks and your sorted. Well worth it, can claim money back on health insurance and your Med1. All in all it pays for itself in about 5-7 years.

Get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

A friend of mine had this done and they managed to blind him and leave him in incredible pain for about two weeks.

It was pretty hilarious.

Who needs enemies, wha? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Degag wrote: »
    I'm definately going to do it at some stage.

Is there any pain involved during or after the procedure?

No pain whatsoever. In fact, I found the procedure enjoyable (cool light show when the laser is firing).

I'd absolutely recommend LASEK over LASIK. This eliminates practically all risks and side effects (like night vision issues or halo's). Almost all eye surgeons choose LASEK themselves.

It's a quick, simple procedure.

1. Anaesthetic drops are placed in the eyes. You feel nothing afterwards..not even numbness. But the anaesthetic is cold!!
    2. A device is used to hold open the eyelids.
    3. A small ring is held against the eyeball. It's not even noticeable, as everything is a complete blur at this stage, so you don't even see it.
    4. An alcohol solution is placed in this ring. This loosens the epithelial layer on the eye. The alcohol is then removed by suction.
    5. The epithelial layer is brushed to the side (you just see a shadow moving).
    6. The laser is put up to your eye (huge machine, with a piece you look into).
    7. The laser fires for about 15-20 seconds per eye. It's cool to see it.
    8. The epithelial layer is brushed back into place.
    9. A protective contact lens is put in the eye and remains there for a few days until the epithelial layer heals.
    10. Come back to have the lenses remove a few days later, and you'll have perfect eyesight.

Procedure itself takes about 10 mins total. No pain, no discomfort, nothing scary.

The temporary lenses are irritating, but they give you lots of anaesthetic drops to help with that.

I'll never forget walking out after the temp lenses were removed and I could read car license plates from 50 feet. I couldn't even do that before whilst wearing glasses. I still have perfect eyesight now (2 years later).

For the record, I went with the Leeson Eye Institute (LaserVision) and found them excellent. Aftercare was brilliant (surgeon gave me his private mobile number and said to call any time 24/7 if I had any problems.)

Oh, and you can claim tax back on it (at your highest tax rate), and if with VHI, you get a 15% discount.

• Advertisement

It was pretty hilarious.

That's why you don't go to those places offering the procedure for €500. :DYou pay for quality, and this is one thing I would never skimp on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Butterfly7

Well I suppose most of the feedback is pretty positive so i better get saving! Thanks a million for all the help & advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Read about Midazolam it's a memory blocking drug used in laser eye surgery so you forget the pain it caused!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd recommend Lasik over Lasek from my own research personally.
    I'd say go for it. There's a very slim chance of anything going wrong.
    The procedure is a blast and you get to smell your eye burning for a few seconds which is kinda weird but there's no pain, just some discomfort if you're squeamish about you're eyes. You can get Valium though if you like and be kind of out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Abi wrote: »
    Who needs enemies, wha? ;)

Ah ya had to be there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I know 2 people who've done it and they've said it was the best thing they've ever done. They paid a fair bit to get it done so if you're going to commit to it do plenty of research and don't scrimp on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

In one type of surgery, they cut a flap on your cornea and peel it back like a tin of sardines, in order to shoot the laser at a deeper part of your eye.

They fold it back, but it never heals fully, ever. And then if you get a smack in the eye it can come right off. The rest of your life is a long time to be walking around with a loose flappy bit on the front of your eye, ready to pop off with the slightest nudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Ok I didn't get it done for 2 reasons ...

1./ My age ... eventually my eyesight will naturally start to go a bit long-sighted with age (after 35) and this cannot be fixed with current laser surgery. My GP told me to not waste my money on it.

2./ If you drive for a living or drive a lot at night, then you have a real risk of seeing 2 lights where there is only 1 light (glare). Doesn't happen everyone but I was told by a previous employer not to get it done for this reason for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I was in pain for about 3 hours after I had mine done. I was the last person they did that day and they all went off and left me sitting in the waiting room. They did ask if someone was coming to pick me up. I couldn't even read the numbers on my mobile phone to call me sister to pick me up.

Got home and could hardly open my eyes with the pain and everything seemed just to bright but after about 3 hours the pain was totally gone and I could see everything perfectly.

The next morning I couldn't believe how good my eye sight was! Would I do it again and go through the pain I had, I definitly would! :D

In one type of surgery, they cut a flap on your cornea and peel it back like a tin of sardines, in order to shoot the laser at a deeper part of your eye.

They fold it back, but it never heals fully, ever. And then if you get a smack in the eye it can come right off. The rest of your life is a long time to be walking around with a loose flappy bit on the front of your eye, ready to pop off with the slightest nudge.
    Lasik you mean - Not exactly true though is it. I've had it done and got many hard smacks to the eye since and not a bother. There's some people in America who tried to get the procedure banned due to a few things. Basically they don't refer to everything as complications even though they can reduce your quality of life, such as dry eyes. The place where I got it done though have had very very very very few such cases. I imagine most places are the same. They test your eyes for such things before committing to doing the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yes there is a risk something could go wrong. Go to google and search for "dies after visit to dentist". Really, go type it in now. All those horror stories going to stop you ever going for a dental check-up again in your life? There is risk involved in everything. Next time you get a dental filling done you might die, permanently, for ever.

So I wouldn't worry too much about stories you read on the net. It is an extremely safe procedure with very few complications. I got it done a few years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. My glasses and contact lenses (for sport) never really bothered me hugely but it is just so much better not to need them. Plus the surgery has most likely paid for itself several times over by now and will continue to do so for years to come. Glasses and lenses cost a fukking fortune and have to be constantly replaced over your life.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

according to the dvd i got from the Wellington Clinic, I can ride horses, walk on the beach, swim and talk on the phone if I get my eyes lasered. Maybe they meant I just didn't have to use one of those phones with the big gigantic buttons

Yay for laser eye surgery!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Had it done in 1995, excellent no regrets, never lost my ability to turn a blind eye when appropiate

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Had it done in 1995, excellent no regrets
    Is that the year we got the heat wave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

This LASIK thing.... they make an incision in your eye???

Not in a million years would i do that!

Degag wrote: »
    This LASIK thing.... they make an incision in your eye???

Not in a million years would i do that!
    It's actually painless and your eyes heal quicker than lasek where they don't cut the flap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'd love to get it done but would also be apprehensive about something going wrong!
    I know two people who've had it done & both say it's one of the best things they've spent money on.
    I'll prob take the plunge in the next couple of years. Sick of wearing contacts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

OP having read through some of the replies in this thread I will have to say I have never read such utter sh1te and scaremongering in my life.

Go to a professional and get a consultation. I can't recommend Ultralase in Dundrum high enough

True but not true, sort of. What you mention is called old age and applies to everyone, also relates to the muscle in your eye deteriorating (Reading glasses). Not the part that is fixed by laser surgery. Eye exercises ftw.

Just to add, like some others.... I had it done last year and best money I ever spent. It wasn't vanity as I didn't mind glasses but I thought I was losing my job and decided I was off backpacking and liked the idea of not worrying about glasses or contacts.

It is worth noting that very little issues occur during the procedure and most if any occur after the procedure, mostly from people not following the after care. E.G. you can't let water near your eyes for a week, using the drops regularly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I got it done nearly 2 years ago, best money ever spent and the surgery isn't bad at all, a bit uncomfortable but nothing too bad.

That's LASIK. Too many potential complications. And the only benefit is instant results, rather than a few days of recovery you need with LASEK.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Ok I didn't get it done for 2 reasons ...

1./ My age ... eventually my eyesight will naturally start to go a bit long-sighted with age (after 35) and this cannot be fixed with current laser surgery. My GP told me to not waste my money on it.

2./ If you drive for a living or drive a lot at night, then you have a real risk of seeing 2 lights where there is only 1 light (glare). Doesn't happen everyone but I was told by a previous employer not to get it done for this reason for work.

1. I'm 35. Before the surgery, I couldn't read a book from more than 10 inches away. Now I can read it from several feet away, as I have practically perfect vision. My eyesight will naturally decline due to age, but this is a very very slow process and I won't return to my previous level of vision for maybe 30+ years.

2. That 'halo' or glare effect only occurs with LASIK. It's can't occur with LASEK at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement