Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser eye surgery, yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I had and have a huge eye phobia. In 2010 I was considering going for the Gardai, and good eyesight is required. I always liked wearing glasses, they felt like part of me, and my identity. Finally committed to it regardless, ****ting bricks all the way!

Got prescribed Valium the day of surgery, and had the LASEK done. Procedure was a walk on the park, even with my phobia.

Truthfully the next two days were very painful but manageable. And they are worth it. Literally the best money I've ever spent, and you won't realise all the little things until it's done.

Go for it. You won't regret it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

I got it done even though I had perfect vision and now have x ray vision.

So yeah, go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I had and have a huge eye phobia. In 2010 I was considering going for the Gardai, and good eyesight is required. I always liked wearing glasses, they felt like part of me, and my identity. Finally committed to it regardless, ****ting bricks all the way!

Got prescribed Valium the day of surgery, and had the LASEK done. Procedure was a walk on the park, even with my phobia.

Truthfully the next two days were very painful but manageable. And they are worth it. Literally the best money I've ever spent, and you won't realise all the little things until it's done.

Go for it. You won't regret it :)
    Thanks for this bit of information, Jimmy Bottlehead. I'm somewhat optic-phobic myself. Have been putting off eye surgery for two months. It was a bit of a shock to hear I may need it. Will give it a chance, after reading this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Thinking of getting this done currently wear contacts mostly and glasses just sometimes. Who would you reccomend getting it done with any past experiences greatly received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grainnemhaoil

Had it done 18 months ago in the Wellington Clinic at the Beacon. Wasn't suitable for LASIK (where they cut a flap in the cornea to reshape the lens) as they thought I might have potential dry eye problems in the future. Had LASEK instead (where they scrape the cornea out of the way and then pull it back down), have absolutely no regrets. Procedure took about 10 minutes and was uncomfortable at worst. You can smell the lens in your eye melting as the laser reshapes it (smells like burning hair) and then they pump in freezing cold stuff to stop the procedure immediatly when lens has reached the right shape. Stayed at the Beacon overnight as I am from down the country (they do a special outpatient rate!) and had a check up the next day before they sent me home with instructions to return on day 5.

It was very sore the evening of the op. and the following day, and the temporary contact you have to wear up to day five while your cornea heals was really annoying, it makes your eye really itchy, but once they take that out on day 5, it is like magic. Have no regrets. Only one of my eyes was suitable as the other is just lazy and can't be fixed, but have excellent vision now. If they can do both eyes with LASEK they I think they don't generally do them both on the same day.

LASIK and LASEK cost the same amount, recovery time is much faster for LASIK so most people opt for this. I had to take 5 days off work (and I needed them) for LASEK but chances of problems are much lower as they don't actually cut into the cornea. Although this is relative as overall complication rates are low for both procedures.

Go for a consultation and see what you think. I certainly felt no pressure to commit to either and follow up care was good. At the time I think they were the only laser surgery outfit in the country that had 0 cases of post-operative infection, don't know if this has changed since. If you don't want to melt your real lenses then they can also put tiny contact lenses in your eyes just behind the pupils which will also give you 20/20 vision but can be removed at any point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i got it done about 4 years ago and i know you hear this all the time but it really does change everything and i would get the anti glare as a previous poster mentioned,the only problem ive had with it is dry eyes at night every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hoping to get it done as soon as possible. Have an appointment with the optician tomorrow so hopefully that'll be the first step on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Four years since I had it done at 47. As I'm older, this might help anyone older considering it. I was astigmatic (hope that's the right term) in my left eye, so had very little visibility in it. My right eye was always perfect, but, as I got older, the sight in that eye deteriorated.

I had tried glasses several times, but couldn't wear them due to headaches, which were caused by the huge imbalance between both eyes.

They were, amazingly, able to bring the left eye up to 100%, but couldn't do the same with the right one, which was at 97%. If they had brought the right eye up to 100% it would have rendered my reading vision a disability (according to the consultant).

However, I still needed reading glasses (age) and the distance vision improved greatly, but I recently got distance glasses for watching TV, as the discrepancy is noticeable (mad, I know!).

But the procedure really is painless. You're fine within 24 hours. Got it done in The Whitfield in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

My ex had it done in the states and within 2 years had had 2 cornea transplants.

Rare... but something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

yay, got it done last december, this is the health science forum isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Butterfly7 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm seriously considering laser eye surgery. Getting sick of my specs and want the freedom back of full eyesight. I've been doing some research on the web & came across alot of horror stories which has put me rite off. Wud really like to hear some real life experiences so I can make my decision. Thanx :cool:

It sounds good but you have to be awake and deal with the smell of your eye balls being burnt by the laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Butterfly7

Hmmm alot of mixed responses now. Knew it wudnt b comfortable for a few days alright so I'm prepared for that. Think I need to book my consultation as it wud b my luck that I'm not suitable for it after all my research! Heard more horror stories in work today including one guy who's left eye was badly damaged but i think they fixed it after a few weeks, so please keep the advice coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Hmmm alot of mixed responses now. Knew it wudnt b comfortable for a few days alright so I'm prepared for that. Think I need to book my consultation as it wud b my luck that I'm not suitable for it after all my research! Heard more horror stories in work today including one guy who's left eye was badly damaged but i think they fixed it after a few weeks, so please keep the advice coming!

I didn't get it done but there are "horror stories" about everything. If it wasn't safe then there would be court cases and the companies would be out of work.

If it suits you then do it. There is no risk like getting losing your sight. Won't happen.

For me, night-time driving for work was a big deal and the fact that glasses don't bother me. I never used contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shonamc

<spam removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

Got it done myself in 2007. Optical Express in Newbridge. Only mighty, best money I ever spent. Only sorry I didn't do it sooner.
    My eyes were a small bit dry etc, but use the drops they give you, after 2-3wks was back to my 22 year old self, eyesight wise, probably better.
    I could see perfectly the evening after the op. Like magic. Couldn't reccomend it highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Saving for this right now :) Very exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Had it done in 2004. Best. Thing. Ever.

Procedure is quick and painless, recovery time really fast.

And the most amazing feeling being able to see properly! I still really enjoy being able to tell the conditioner bottle from the shampoo bottle in the shower :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thought about laser eye surgery... but i dont think my eyesight is bad enough for it if im honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Got it done (LASEK) about three years ago in what was then the Wellington (now out at the Beacon). Best decision of my life. my last check up had me at 20/16. I have had no major side effects. Maybe twice a year my eyes get a bit dry during the night and it's a bit sore in the morning but that's it.

I have never had to use the artificial tear drops for moisturizing the eyes (except for the months immediately after the surgery). I have had no pain or irritations or infections. :)

I highly recommend it to anyone who is suitable for the surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Hey all! I'm seriously considering laser eye surgery. Getting sick of my specs and want the freedom back of full eyesight. I've been doing some research on the web & came across alot of horror stories which has put me rite off. Wud really like to hear some real life experiences so I can make my decision. Thanx :cool:

I got lasek two years ago, best thing I ever did imo. I had dry eyes and slight sensitivity to light for like two weeks after but that was my only "side effect". My eyes were a tiny bit sore for the first few days but nothing to write home about.

I was terrified going in for the procedure but it literally only took 3 minutes per eye and it wasn't painful or scary at all (And this is coming from someone who was too freaked out to wear contacts or let someone apply eyeliner.). I did take a Valium going in though! :P

You cant see or feel what they are doing, all you have to do is stare at a red light and it's over in minutes.

Now my vision is perfect 20/20 it's such a brilliant change.

Got mine done in Optical Express in Newbridge. Would highly recommend them. You get a lifetime guarantee, if your eyesight declines you can get it done again at any time for free.

+1 on recommending Lasek over Lasik it has less side effects etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I got Lasek done in the mater private about 2 years ago, I definately recommend them. It was the best thing I ever did, I wish i'd done it years ago. I wore contacts for 10 years but suffered from severe dry eye with them so I could only wear them for a few hours at a time.

Lasek has a longer recovery time than Lasik. The Mater only do one eye at a time and there was a minimum 2 week gap between each eye (its 1 week if you get Lasik instead of Lasek). The operation itself was painless but the recovery was quite tough. I was in a lot of pain for the first 24 hours and then had a fair bit of discomfort (although not pain) for the next 2/3 days. It took about 3 days for my eyesight to start improving and it took about 6 weeks before I had full 20/20 vision.

My brother, brother in law, sister and a friend all had Lasik. The recovery time is definately much quicker and much less painful with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm still on the fence about this. I should never have watched any videos about LASIK. The idea of putting anything sharp near my eye freaks the crap out of me, never mind cutting and folding back a little flap.
    I'm actually not eye squeamish at all - I think I'm not eye squeamish enough for my own good - but for some reason that just scares the ****e out of me.

I also have fairly bad vision. Really bad myopia in one eye (-8 or something) and astigmatism in the other. My concern would be getting laser and still having to wear glasses for driving and reading. As it is I use continuous wear contacts which give me better than 20/20 vision and I have few gripes about them other than the cost. So I'd feel cheated if I got laser but didn't have the perfect vision I've become used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Did noone go for wavefront? if not why not? thinking of getting it done & afaik taxback is on lower rate regardless of which you pay.
    Was there the operation long after the consultation or the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I am very squeamish about my eyes and medical tests in general, but was given very little choice about surgery to save my sight. After weeks of worry, I gathered the courage (after reading the positive comments on this thread) to finally have laser surgery (in the states) this week. The few moments of mild discomfort and few days of recovery were well worth it. I have one more surgery to undergo next week. As for me, I no longer fear the laser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got Ultra Elite Lasik in Ultralase Dundrum in January. Sooo pleased with the results. My eyes weren't terrible, between -1 and -2 I think, but I hated glasses and contacts and that meant I lost out on a lot of detail in far away things.

Have recommended Ultralase to everyone, my treatment was perfect. No dry eye, no pain, no complications. The only thing was I got bad bloodshot eyes from the eye clamp thingy at the start. That took about a month to go away. Driving at night was a bit scary at first but it went away pretty quickly.

The staff in Ultralase are great too, they remembered all about me when my friend went to visit and mentioned my name and were very calming when I got nervous at the start of surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 smccart6

Hi,
    Anyone interested in getting their laser done in optilase if they are PM me as I have a referral which gives you €100 off you need to say this on your initial consultation.

I had laser done by them about 6 weeks ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. I have better then 20/20 vision and had no dry eye, glare etc. They were so nice to deal with and the follow up is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I am thinking about laser eye surgery but must admit I feel sheer terror thinking about if something goes wrong. I have so many ridiculous questions about it and am even afraid of the consultations in case I get roped into the surgery without feeling 100% up for it. I'm generally not squeamish at all, can withstand a fair amount of pain etc but the idea of this actually makes me feel faint. Sounds like such an exaggeration but I'm so scared by it. Was anybody else this terrified?

And has anyone had good experiences with Optilase? They seem to be the one I'm leaning toward at the minute due to the relaxed nature of their phone calls, sounds silly but I don't feel like they'll push me into it if I change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 smccart6

Isolt

I got my laser done with Optilase in Feb this year and it was great. I had no problems at all no dry eye etc. They are wonderful to deal with I was the same as yourself reading loads of things that can go wrong etc and I laugh now at how nervous I was.
    They don't pressure you into it at all but after my consult I booked my surgery for two days time cause I just wanted to get it over with. It was over and done with in less then 10 mins. The aftercare they provide is great i've been to see them 3 times already and my vision is better then 20/20.

By the way I have a referral which you could get €100 off but you can only avail of this if you haven't got your consult booked. PM me if you want more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi i had my laser surgery about 5 years ago now - has been great so far but in the last week or so my eyes have been extremely dry and tired and i'm worried its something to do with the laser. My right eye especially feels gritty. I tried optrex last night and it didnt make much difference. Do i need to use this for a while to notice a difference?

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Booked myself in with Optilase earlier to get it done in about five weeks time. Sick of wearing glasses and lenses. I hope everything goes well, I'll keep you all updated on how it goes when I get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi i had my laser surgery about 5 years ago now - has been great so far but in the last week or so my eyes have been extremely dry and tired and i'm worried its something to do with the laser. My right eye especially feels gritty. I tried optrex last night and it didnt make much difference. Do i need to use this for a while to notice a difference?

Has anyone else experienced this?

dry eyes is one of the most common sideeffects of laser eye surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'd recommend Lasik over Lasek from my own research personally.
    I'd say go for it. There's a very slim chance of anything going wrong.
    The procedure is a blast and you get to smell your eye burning for a few seconds which is kinda weird but there's no pain, just some discomfort if you're squeamish about you're eyes. You can get Valium though if you like and be kind of out of it.

This technique in this video is not so common these days. It is more common for the flap to be cut by a laser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Anyone worried about it but wanting to get it done should go for a consultation anyway at least. It's a very common procedure and the people I went to were very professional and very reassuring. No regrets what so ever.
    Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hi all, I'm checking this out too.
    I have noticed a big difference in price range per eye with wavefront included.
    Optilase,Optical express and laservision are more or less in the same ball park, but Ultralase is way way more, the most expensive. The wellington clinic is between both. I have read all the information on their websites and I cant figure out why ultralase costs so much.
    All the posts I've read have said that treatment and aftercare with their chosen company has been excellent.
    I am just wondering what more would I be getting by paying the higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

TheZohan wrote: »
    A friends wife's cousins friend had it done and the lazer slipped and everybody died.

That only happens in like fewer than 1% of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishbreeze

Had it done in 07 great job although i did suffer with gritty eyes for a good while after. Driving at night was a bitch for a while cos the glare off oncoming cars drove me mad but i've no regrets about getting it done. Great to wake up in morning and not reach for the glasses first thing

I was only in theatre for about 10mins altogether. 2100 i paid for it plus you are entitled to claim back tax on it at the highest rate you are currently paying so thats not too bad either. I'd mine done in vision express in newbridge

fatherted1969, did you have your eyes done in Optical Express in Newbridge?
    I am thinking of having my done with them in Dublin, would you recommend OE? thanks.

I got it done last April and it was the best money I ever spent. Was quite expensive but so worth it. Never had any trouble after. Got it done with Optical Express. Even the little things like being able to drive without glasses, and being able to wear nice sunglasses when driving were such novelties.

hi Belle E. Flops, how do you find Optical Express aftercare? Everytime when I was in dundrum branch, they all seem very busy.

I got lasek two years ago, best thing I ever did imo. I had dry eyes and slight sensitivity to light for like two weeks after but that was my only "side effect". My eyes were a tiny bit sore for the first few days but nothing to write home about.

I was terrified going in for the procedure but it literally only took 3 minutes per eye and it wasn't painful or scary at all (And this is coming from someone who was too freaked out to wear contacts or let someone apply eyeliner.). I did take a Valium going in though! :P

You cant see or feel what they are doing, all you have to do is stare at a red light and it's over in minutes.

Now my vision is perfect 20/20 it's such a brilliant change.

Got mine done in Optical Express in Newbridge. Would highly recommend them. You get a lifetime guarantee, if your eyesight declines you can get it done again at any time for free.

+1 on recommending Lasek over Lasik it has less side effects etc.

Hi Susannahmia,
    seriously, thinking of going for Optical Express myself, but hesitating between IK and EK. heard a lot recommendations about EK as its safer, but was told by consultant when rang them, IK with wavefront+intralase is the safest because intralase is the newest technology which creates a very thin layer of flap, almost will not touch nerves. now very confused and dont know what to do
    anyone who had wavefront+intralase treatment?

• Advertisement

Keith C wrote: »
    Did noone go for wavefront? if not why not? thinking of getting it done & afaik taxback is on lower rate regardless of which you pay.
    Was there the operation long after the consultation or the next day?

Hi Keith,
    I did not have it done yet, but thinking of have the wavefront+intralase with Optical Express. Its apparently the most advanced technology which guarantees you leaving clinic with no dry eyes and no glaring(ACCORDING TO THEIR CONSULTANT).
    I am hesitating on this too. but THEIR CONSULTANTS said the Intralase technology is the part makes a big differences when you choose IK over EK.
    Please let me know whether you have done it or thinking of going for wavefront. good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

I totally agree with the issue brought out by watchdog and public on their ad. on price. It is indeed misleading. So you need to shop around,and shop around.Basically, do your homework.

However, I know I would not walk out with £395, or €595 as I have a fairly high prescription.

IF OE can change their marketing strategy, they will be much better trusted by potential customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm booked in to the Mater Private for LASEK today, at 2pm. Been thinking about getting this done for years and I'm so looking forward to getting it done. I don't care about discomfort/slight-pain in the follow up, once it gets rid of the specs, I don't care!!!

Been wearing glasses since I was 9 and I'm 22 now, so it's about time I got it done!

Wow... just wow... Only been about 10 hours since the op, but goddamn... The difference is immense. Got my right eye done. While nowhere near perfect is a quantam leap over what it was. The operation was not painful at all. Mild discomfort and a minor freakout on my part when I actually thought about what was going on (she's touching my eye... OHMIGODSHESTOUCHINGMYEYE..) but no pain at all.

Minor irritating discomfort now, but nothing worse than if you had an eyelash caught under the lid. I've been assured that within 48-72 hours my vision will be much, much better in the operated eye and once the protective contact lens is removed it will get even better.

I do not know what the full effects are yet, but I do know that the pain and discomfort was at an absolute minimum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Got Lasik and Lasek done in either eye last friday.
    Absolutely amazing results and glad I went through with it.
    Can't praise the Wellington eye clinic enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

DazMarz wrote: »
    Minor irritating discomfort now, but nothing worse than if you had an eyelash caught under the lid. I've been assured that within 48-72 hours my vision will be much, much better in the operated eye and once the protective contact lens is removed it will get even better.

This is exactly what I felt. The next day it was like normal. You should try look through your glasses, they'll make things blurry, haha!

My wife got Lasik (WF + Intralase) done with Optical Express in Newbridge on Monday. Her eyes were all over the place - something like -6.5 in one eye and -5 + Astig in the other.

So it wasn't cheap. The surgery took like an hour from walking into the building to walking out. She said it wasn't the most comfortable experience in the world, the suction is not much fun. She also said that once under the laser, it can be quite lonely because you are aware of nothing except the light - the surgeon was humming to himself for a bit which she said kept her relaxed. But in the end she spent a total of ten minutes in "theatre", of which each eye lasted just over a minute. So not bad at all.
    She was also a bit disturbed by the smell of burning, thinking that's her eyeball. A nurse later told her that's the smell of the gas used by the laser.

For the 24 hours after, she was sensitive to light and couldn't see properly, she described it like wearing a dirty contact lens. She knew she could see better, but it was a bit hazy. Turns out some of the antibiotic had congealed on the protective contact lens, so after removing it the next day she has perfect vision. 20/20 in one eye and better in the other.

She had gone in knowing nothing about it and reckons that if she hadn't gotten both done in the same day, she'd be iffy about going back for a second run. But her description of it has actually put me at ease about it :D

While I agree that Optical Express's marketing practices are a little underhand, from looking at the documentation and the process that my wife went through I wouldn't say that they downplay any risks and they definitely don't hide anything from the patient. It's all written down on the documentation in black-and-white, which you have to sign about 20 times.

Hi Seamus,

Glad to hear your wife has good experience with OE. I am booked in with them too. Wavefront+Intralaise is also what I was booked in. So far, no major complains.

" Turns out some of the antibiotic had congealed on the protective contact lens,,,,"

But, I wonder do you need to wear protective contact lenses after Wavefront+Intralaise? I thought they create flaps, how can you wear protective contact lenses after Wavefront+Intralaise treatment?

Slightly worried now, as the operated eye is now very blurry and not as good as yesterday... I'm hoping that this is a case of 'worse before it gets better' and that tomorrow it'll be progressed.

Anyone else have similar? Also, kinda sore and stuff today... maybe anaesthetic has completely worn off or something...

But, I wonder do you need to wear protective contact lenses after Wavefront+Intralaise? I thought they create flaps, how can you wear protective contact lenses after Wavefront+Intralaise treatment?
    The surgeon inserts the protective lens and then it's removed during the 24 hour consultation.

The flap remains in place effectively by air pressure (water suction), and within 24 hours, the eye has already started stitching itself together, so there's no major fear of the contact lens interfering with the flap. Only a serious trauma (think poking yourself hard in the eye or giving it a good rub) can displace the flap.

Daz - hope your eye is feeling better today. My wife was told that it may get worse (itchier and sorer) as the week goes on before it gets better. It also naturally gets worse in the evenings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement