Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser eye surgery, yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishbreeze

Seamus,
    thanks for getting back to me. Its though first time I learned protective lens will be inserted after wavefront+intralase. It good to know, now I am better prepared. I hope you wife now enjoys the clear world now ;-) thanks a mill, Seamus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Seamus,
    thanks for getting back to me. Its though first time I learned protective lens will be inserted after wavefront+intralase. It good to know, now I am better prepared. I hope you wife now enjoys the clear world now ;-) thanks a mill, Seamus.

Sorry irishbreeze forgot to write back on this. I had wavefront with intralse done on 17th April (bout a month now). My eyesight was -6.5 each eye. got it down with optical express wellington road.
    the procedure was painless & I had no pain after the op or since :).
    It took 12 secs to cut each eye then 30 secs on each eye with laser.
    they put 2 protectove lens in for 24 hours.
    next day at checkup, I could hardly read top line but optician took out protective lens & voila could read the 3 lines!!
    one week later my eyesight was 15/20!!! (better then 20/20 & amazing considering how bad my eyesight was)
    For the first week you have to put 2 types of drops in 4 times a day & wear protective googles sleeping for first week (they were grand & comfortable)
    I didnt suffer with dry eyes at all (even though i work on computer screen)
    Night driving is still strange as headlights & streetlights have halos but this is normal & last a while.
    any questions just ask!

Regarding recovery, I had my op on thurs afternoon, was back working on computers monday no problems.
    Couldnt wash hair/face for one week and 4 weeks before playing contact sports.

Thanks for coming back, Keith. I am looking forward to mine now. Is driving ok at day time though? I meant probably week after surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm booked in for my pre-op next Thursday and the next day for the laser. I can't wait. I hope my eyes will be able to see the Champions League final the next night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mprgst78

I've been reading your experiences in the different clinics. Thankds for all the advice. Is there a recommendation for someone with -2.5, -2.75? Which company is the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJTasty

I had the surgery 2 years ago and havent looked back since. No pun intended! My prescription was almost the same as yours and being a rugby player my contacts were a pain. Like you, i was sceptical. I checked out my options and decided to go with Optilase just off Baggot St in Dublin. the optom and surgeon eased my fears and the treatment itself only took minutes. the lifetime guarantee that comes with optilase makes it a bit easier to choose them too. Don't worry about the surgery, its grand. i'm chuffed with the results. Go for it!

DJTasty wrote: »
    I had the surgery 2 years ago and havent looked back since. No pun intended! My prescription was almost the same as yours and being a rugby player my contacts were a pain. Like you, i was sceptical. I checked out my options and decided to go with Optilase just off Baggot St in Dublin. the optom and surgeon eased my fears and the treatment itself only took minutes. the lifetime guarantee that comes with optilase makes it a bit easier to choose them too. Don't worry about the surgery, its grand. i'm chuffed with the results. Go for it!

Thanks for the response. I've seen the optilase ads before on TV. Did you check out other clinics too? what made you choose them?

Thanks for coming back, Keith. I am looking forward to mine now. Is driving ok at day time though? I meant probably week after surgery.

the day after the op, they took out protective lens & I once I could read the topline, it was good enough to drive i.e minimum requirement to drive without glasses. So I was driving 2 days after op.

Keith C wrote: »
    the day after the op, they took out protective lens & I once I could read the topline, it was good enough to drive i.e minimum requirement to drive without glasses. So I was driving 2 days after op.

Ah, great. So I can make my travel plans after that now. thanks, Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

DJTasty I presume you had to go for lasek since you're playing rugby? I just went in for a consultation today and I can get either since I'm only about -2 in each eye. The idea of the faster recovery of lasik is really appealing but I've a niggling thought of not being able to do contact sports after it - I'm not doing any at the minute but I don't want to count anything out in the future either.

It seems it varies quite a bit about peoples recovery times from lasek - Thinking about getting this done in about 2 weeks time, I wonder would 4 weeks after have me back to the same level of vision as I currently have? Is there any issue with flying after you've had the op?

• Advertisement

joconnell wrote: »
    DJTasty I presume you had to go for lasek since you're playing rugby? I just went in for a consultation today and I can get either since I'm only about -2 in each eye. The idea of the faster recovery of lasik is really appealing but I've a niggling thought of not being able to do contact sports after it - I'm not doing any at the minute but I don't want to count anything out in the future either.

It seems it varies quite a bit about peoples recovery times from lasek - Thinking about getting this done in about 2 weeks time, I wonder would 4 weeks after have me back to the same level of vision as I currently have? Is there any issue with flying after you've had the op?

I had lasik & back playing football after 4 weeks.

Cheers for that Keith - I think I'm going to go with lasek for the longevity aspects of it in case I need any adjustments done in the future. I was told that if I was doing anything nasty sports wise that they didn't recommend Ik but in their consent / release form they mentioned just waiting 4 weeks before resuming anything. Maybe they're just being extremely cautious. The surgeon I spoke said that if discomfort or recovery time isn't a factor, they'd go for that. June 10th for me so - cheers folks!

Cheers for that Keith - I think I'm going to go with lasek for the longevity aspects of it in case I need any adjustments done in the future. I was told that if I was doing anything nasty sports wise that they didn't recommend Ik but in their consent / release form they mentioned just waiting 4 weeks before resuming anything. Maybe they're just being extremely cautious. The surgeon I spoke said that if discomfort or recovery time isn't a factor, they'd go for that. June 10th for me so - cheers folks!

Where are you going for your surgery? I play football and i should go with LASEK in that case from what you're saying. I have a consultation with optilase next week. What clinic are you going to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 optician

i am a recently retired optician so here is my tupence worth.
    most people get on fine with laser treatment with no serious complication (in the short term anyways)
    opticians generally don't see those who's operations are successful until they need reading glasses at around 40 years old (on average) but over the years i have seen those who have had complications and it would certainly put me off getting laser surgury done.
    you need to be aware of the possible side efects and see if you are prepared to take the chance.
    side effects opticians see regularly are constant dry eyes (needing to put in drops 6-7 times a day for relief), constant problems with glare from light, sun, computer screens etc, loss of night vision quality, regular eye infections, flucuating vision, vision regressing after 5-6 years so need glasses again and cornea is too thin to get laser again, pain and light sensitivity, burning, scratchy, gritty sensations, loss of contrast detection.

less regularly we see patients with dislodged corneal flaps, drooping eyelid (not cosmetically appealing!) flap striae and recurrent corneal erosions (extremely painful)

then there are concerns with the long term effects (remember laser eye surgery is a relatively new procedure). I had a patient who had no problems for 6 years and then started to develop keratoconus in her right eye 6 years later with severe regression in vision.

take a look at this link also
    http://www.lasikcomplications.com/

now let me repeat, in most cases people who have laser eye surgery don't experience any of the more serious problems highlighted above. The purpose of my post is not to scare monger or put people off but to give people all the facts so they are aware of the risks and can make an informed decision.
    there are more and more people who go ahead with laser eye surgery because a friend got it done and had no problems without doing their own research.
    the chances are you won't have any major side effects but will you be happy to put up with them if you are one of the unlucky ones?
    thats the decision you neeed to make.

cordially yours,
    Optician

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

optician wrote: »
    most people get on fine with laser treatment with no serious complication (in the short term anyways)
    opticians generally don't see those who's operations are successful until they need reading glasses at around 40 years old (on average) but over the years i have seen those who have had complications and it would certainly put me off getting laser surgury done.
    you need to be aware of the possible side efects and see if you are prepared to take the chance.
    side effects opticians see regularly are constant dry eyes (needing to put in drops 6-7 times a day for relief), constant problems with glare from light, sun, computer screens etc, loss of night vision quality, regular eye infections, flucuating vision, vision regressing after 5-6 years so need glasses again and cornea is too thin to get laser again, pain and light sensitivity, burning, scratchy, gritty sensations, loss of contrast detection.

less regularly we see patients with dislodged corneal flaps, drooping eyelid (not cosmetically appealing!) flap striae and recurrent corneal erosions (extremely painful)

then there are concerns with the long term effects (remember laser eye surgery is a relatively new procedure). I had a patient who had no problems for 6 years and then started to develop keratoconus in her right eye 6 years later with severe regression in vision.

now let me repeat, in most cases people who have laser eye surgery don't experience any of the more serious problems highlighted above. The purpose of my post is not to scare monger or put people off but to give people all the facts so they are aware of the risks and can make an informed decision.
    there are more and more people who go ahead with laser eye surgery because a friend got it done and had no problems without doing their own research.
    the chances are you won't have any major side effects but will you be happy to put up with them if you are one of the unlucky ones?

cordially yours,
    Optician

They seem to talk alot about Lasik complications, how about Lasek? Is that a safer option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I had it done 5 years ago. Cost me €4k (none of which I got back etc).

I've been wearing my glasses again for 3 years. It went right back to where it was before inside of a year and a half.

So that's my tuppence, am just grateful it didn't get worse!!!

Also, the smell of your own eyeball burning in the middle of the procedure is kinda off putting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 optician

They seem to talk alot about Lasik complications, how about Lasek? Is that a safer option?

there is not a big difference from a safety point of view, each have similiar but slightly different potential complications.
    its not a decision that is left up to the patient in any event as it will depend on the corneal thickness etc which one you are more suitable for.

lasek has a longer recovery period, generally 2 weeks to a month and may require a contact lens bandage.

lasek is probably slightly safer long term but more painful short term.

hope that helps,

yours cordially,
    Optician

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

there is not a big difference from a safety point of view, each have similiar but slightly different potential complications.
    its not a decision that is left up to the patient in any event as it will depend on the corneal thickness etc which one you are more suitable for.

lasek has a longer recovery period, generally 2 weeks to a month and may require a contact lens bandage.

lasek is probably slightly safer long term but more painful short term.

hope that helps,

yours cordially,
    Optician

Ah right thanks, will have to see what the consultant recommmends so, will be sure to find out about any risks too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 emjv1

I had consultations with Optical Express, Optilase & Ultralase before deciding that Ultralase was who I would go with, prices were not hugely different but I booked treatment at Ultralase priced at €3500 for both eyes with Lasik Wavefront Ultra Plus, my prescription was -3.25 or thereabouts. I then got cold feet & rang to cancel & was presented with a special offer if I went ahead, she took €1000 off the price & upgraded me to Wavefront Elite at no extra cost, obviously I couldn't turn that down so what should have cost me €5000 cost me half that & I am due still the tax rebate of roughly €500, I had the treatment on Saturday, afterwards was like someone threw glass in my eye for a few hours but that passed & I now have better than 20/20 vision although there is still some glare/halos I'm told they will settle down. I took 10 long years to have this done because I was afraid, I'm hoping you don't. Also try cancelling & wait to hear what they offer. Best thing I have ever done...apart from giving birth ;)

• Advertisement

I went for my consultation to Optilase yesterday. Have to say, i felt very comfortable there and they quoted me e2790 for the advanced wavefront lasik option. this includes their lifetime guarantee which is very reassuring. i am suitable for lasek though too. which one should i go for? i'm tempted to go for the lasik because of the faster healing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just back from getting left eye treated with LASEK in the Mater Private... right eye was done on the 10th May and is practically perfect. Fingers crossed that I'll soon be 20-20.

Once again, no pain at all, just irritation and itchiness in the eye from the protective contact lens. No driving today, but can do it tomorrow so I'm told.

Very pleased with results so far!

mprgst78 - Here's my thoughts on LasEK vs LasIK:

Lasik should in theory be totally painless, and as you say you recover your full visions in 24 hours so it's very convenient. The flap that they cut open can be reopened for up to a year after the surgery so if you need adjustments they can be made. After that point though, they can't use the same flap or cut a new one so adjustments have to be made by LasEK instead.

LasEK is a little bit more uncomfortable - I personally had my first eye done last friday morning and when the anaesthetic wore off it was a tiny bit stingy, it watered a fair bit but both of those were likely to do with having a protective contact lens in my eye, something I've never had before. The day afterwards there was no pain at all, my vision was actually pretty good (read at 20/20 when it was checked in the mater) and the only slight discomfort was again having a contact lens in. That came out 2 days later so no more discomfort and my long range vision is sharp as a tack. Short range vision is still healing and that eye takes fractionally longer to focus than my non treated eye. So my sharp vision came back within a day or two, and there was only really an afternoons discomfort.

As regards one over the other, the major difference with lasEK is that since they aren't cutting your eye, there's no chance of visible scarring and your eye is also physically far more robust afterwards. For example if you wanted to do anything particularly rough sports wise, you're fine with this whereas lasIK they don't recommend it. Adjustments can be made by lasEK for years afterwards (though nearly any place should get it correct on the first go really).

Lastly I asked the surgeons in the mater that given the choice if recovery or pain wasn't a factor (and after getting LasEK I don't think it really is) they'd all go for LasEK. There's no major difference in the price either.

And Daz, they've some rather pretty female doctors in the mater don't they :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Thinking of getting in on the Laser Eye craze.

Went for the free consult for Optilase. Quoted 3,390 all in (Lasik, Wavefront & the fancy cutting Laser or for 2,790 for Lasek). Now I didn't haggle on price or anything cos didn't feel comfortable going there to start - went for the free assessment just. Also felt I was being pushed towards Lasik even though I thought Lasek was what I would go for. And the one selling it skimmed over side-effects like there were going to be none.

Just on the phone to Mater Private and they do standard Laser at 1535 per eye with 120 consult charge. Seems pretty obvious to go to Mater with better reputation and all that and 3,190 all in price for whichever you go for (probably be Lasek).

Comments on Mater all positive - anyone disagree with my assessment so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Thinking of getting in on the Laser Eye craze.

Went for the free consult for Optilase. Quoted 3,390 all in (Lasik, Wavefront & the fancy cutting Laser or for 2,790 for Lasek). Now I didn't haggle on price or anything cos didn't feel comfortable going there to start - went for the free assessment just. Also felt I was being pushed towards Lasik even though I thought Lasek was what I would go for. And the one selling it skimmed over side-effects like there were going to be none.

Just on the phone to Mater Private and they do standard Laser at 1535 per eye with 120 consult charge. Seems pretty obvious to go to Mater with better reputation and all that and 3,190 all in price for whichever you go for (probably be Lasek).

Comments on Mater all positive - anyone disagree with my assessment so far?

I went Opticle express for the free consult and they say i have to get Wavefront done but with Lasik.. my sight is -4.5 in both eyes and its gonna cost me 3561 which is breaking me to do it.

They were lovely up there but didnt go through any side effects or what could go wrong!!

Wasnt very pleased by that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am not that trusting of any of these Optilase/Ultralase crowds. They could pack up and close down at any time IMO.

The Mater or the Beacon or the Blackrock Clinic are all much more reputable, have been doing it for years and are unlikely to go belly up any time soon.

The Mater is where I'm currently getting my treatment and they have been exemplary, put you under no pressure and do what is best for the patient. Plus, you will probably end up paying around the same to Opti/Ultra as you would to any of the Mater/Beacon/Blackrock and you will get a much better and more reputable service from the latter 3 for the same price.

Well worth the money invested tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

DazMarz wrote: »
    I am not that trusting of any of these Optilase/Ultralase crowds.

I got mine done in Ultralase. I asked my GP about it and she said she wouldn't agree that hospital type places are any better than the clinics. Luckily I had 0 side effects and a textbook recovery so I am very happy with my choice in Ultralase as it perhaps could have not gone so well elsewhere.

I didn't feel under pressure to book and they went through all the side effects a number of times.

Personally, from my own research, I felt Ultralase were the best of the bunch and I wouldn't change anything about my treatment.

Hi again,

I decided to go with Optilase for my laser eye surgery. I'm booked for my pre-operative consultation to meet my surgeon at the end of the month with the surgery booked the next day. I called them yesterday and was asking them about lasik v lasek. They were very helpful but it is my surgeon who will advise me on the more suitable treatment for me.

I have to say, I don't like all the negative talk about the clinics like Optilase, ulatrlase and optical express just because they are "private clinics". Blackrock clinic and the Mater clinic are equally "private clinics" and there is just as much risk as them "closing their doors". And I must add, I found Optilase extremely professional and they went into all the risks in great detail as well as the benefits. Of course, I still need to have my laser eye surgery done with them but I think people need to be fair when they talk about the different clinic options and not to just scare people away from certain clinics unjustifiably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mprgst78 wrote: »
    Hi again,

I decided to go with Optilase for my laser eye surgery. I'm booked for my pre-operative consultation to meet my surgeon at the end of the month with the surgery booked the next day. I called them yesterday and was asking them about lasik v lasek. They were very helpful but it is my surgeon who will advise me on the more suitable treatment for me.

I have to say, I don't like all the negative talk about the clinics like Optilase, ulatrlase and optical express just because they are "private clinics". Blackrock clinic and the Mater clinic are equally "private clinics" and there is just as much risk as them "closing their doors". And I must add, I found Optilase extremely professional and they went into all the risks in great detail as well as the benefits. Of course, I still need to have my laser eye surgery done with them but I think people need to be fair when they talk about the different clinic options and not to just scare people away from certain clinics unjustifiably.

Correct, they are all private clinics and there's no reason to think optilase etc are some fly by night setup.

I chose Blackrock clinic because the procedure was carried out by a well known consultant eye surgeon, whose job does not just involve doing corrective laser surgery but also involves corneal transplants and other cutting edge (excuse the pun) procedures. I would not choose a place that employed people who just did laser procedures all day which I think was the case with a well known pharmacy chain that used to offer laser surgery.

I had it done about 5 years ago, it cost about €4,300 at the time and was the best money I ever spent.

Heya mprgst78 - you're quite right, you can only really find out which option you can get when they measure the thickness of your cornea - if it's too thin then lasEK might be out since it involves removing part of it's surface to change your focus - if there isn't enough to work with then lasEK's a no go.

I suppose I went to the mater on reputation - they've done it longer than anyone else so they've the most practise as such and that was a reassuring factor for me.

• Advertisement

Heya mprgst78 - you're quite right, you can only really find out which option you can get when they measure the thickness of your cornea - if it's too thin then lasEK might be out since it involves removing part of it's surface to change your focus - if there isn't enough to work with then lasEK's a no go.

I suppose I went to the mater on reputation - they've done it longer than anyone else so they've the most practise as such and that was a reassuring factor for me.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to ask my surgeon about the ek vs ik surgery. I'll keep you posted on any news. Best of luck with your surgery in the meantime.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

When I first started wearing contacts my optician said that I would have to stop wearing contacts for at least three months before getting laser surgery because over time they change the shape of the eye. Can anyone who wore contacts tell me when they they were advised to stop wearing lenses before the surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Nephew wrote: »
    When I first started wearing contacts my optician said that I would have to stop wearing contacts for at least three months before getting laser surgery because over time they change the shape of the eye. Can anyone who wore contacts tell me when they they were advised to stop wearing lenses before the surgery.

I had to stop wearing them for a few days, ,maybe a week before the surgery.

I wouldn't discuss the surgery with an optician as eventually will put them all out of business so many of them are not going to encourage it.

The Mater quote the following - No hard contacts for 2 weeks before, no soft contacts for 1 week before, and no eye makeup for 4 days before, which is a shame, there's a few doctors well worth chatting up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

cordially yours,
    Optician

Was thinking of getting laser eye surgery but this scares the sh1t out of me!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nightskies

I have been wearing glasses since I was 11/12 and I absolutely hate them. I have finally worked up the courage to get lasik. Going with Optical Express in Dublin.
    Tbh, I am really bricking it but I know that it will be worth the couple days of irritation! At least I hope so. :p I'm the type of person that is shaking going to see the dentist so if I can get through this, I can get through anything.
    Oh and it's also bothering me that I can't wear eye make up for a week as I have a weekend away with the girls the weekend after my surgery, lol. I am known for my love of eye make up so they should get a great kick out of seeing me bare eyed. :D Vain, much? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Can anyone tell me what sort of waiting time Optilase have from the initial free consultation to getting the procedure done, is it weeks or months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

fatherted1969, did you have your eyes done in Optical Express in Newbridge?
    I am thinking of having my done with them in Dublin, would you recommend OE? thanks.

Hi Irishbreeze Yeah i'd mine done in Optical Express in Whitewater Newbridge they've a surgury at the back of their shop. Yeah i thought they done a great job to be honest. I suffered a bit with night driving with glare but i'd still reccomend them. I suffered a bit with gritty eyes for a couple of months after but the drops help a lot and it does ease over time. Their after surgury care was ok as well as they call you back very frequently as well to make sure everythings ok

Nephew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what sort of waiting time Optilase have from the initial free consultation to getting the procedure done, is it weeks or months?

I'm going to optilase this week to have my laser eye surgery. I had the consultation a few weeks ago but I was able to get the surgery within a week if I wanted to. Needed to save though so I had to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DJTasty

mprgst78 wrote: »
    I'm going to optilase this week to have my laser eye surgery. I had the consultation a few weeks ago but I was able to get the surgery within a week if I wanted to. Needed to save though so I had to wait!

I went with Optilase for 2 reasons.
    1) I didn't feel pressured into buying the intralase treatmnt or the more expensive options like I did at OE. I watched the BBC Watchdog piece on OE and was appalled at just how pushy the sales people are required to be. My optom was a genuine guy with my best interest at heart. Not his sales target.

2) optilase offer a lifetime care guarantee. I know that my eyes will always be looked after.

I had my consultation and then went for my pre-op 2 weeks later. Had the surgery the next day and saw a huge improvement in my vision from the very next day. I was chuffed itih the result. I was back in training after 5 weeks and haven't had any trouble since. I just read that Doug Howlette had his eyes done with Optilase too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nightskies

Just wanted to update everyone, I had my lasik done on Monday with Optical Express and it went really well! I was an absolute nervous wreck but there really is nothing to it at all. Eyes are a bit tired today and I find myself napping at least once a day since but so far, so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

DJTasty wrote: »
    2) optilase offer a lifetime care guarantee. I know that my eyes will always be looked after.

Does anyone know if Optical Express give a lifetime guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Optical Express give a lifetime guarantee?

im nearly 100% sure they do.. check their website, i have a book at home from them that i saw it on ill check it for you later

Well I had my laser eye surgery with Optilase today and I can't believe the results! It's like i'm wearing my contacts but I have to keep reminding myself this is my new vision! I didn't expect it to be this quick.
    The staff were lovely, especially the nurses and surgeon (Mr Wayne Crewe-Brown). It took less time than I thought. I went home and had a snooze and I'm kind of bored now because I'm not meant to be on computer or watching tv! Boring night ahead but thanks Optilase!!!:)

I take it you went for ik in that case? It's pretty odd just walking around and looking at things again in my case since I never wore contacts or glasses - great fun and good to hear it all went well for you!

I take it you went for ik in that case? It's pretty odd just walking around and looking at things again in my case since I never wore contacts or glasses - great fun and good to hear it all went well for you!

Thanks! yeh it's so weird not feeling the contacts in the eyes or worrying to take them out after a hard night out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

cordially yours,
    Optician

Very interesting,thanks for this. I had it done in the Mater Priv about 5 years ago. Got on well, one eye maybe not quite 100% but happy with it. Was short-sighted to level of 4.25 or so i think. The freedom from glasses is something else i must say. Anyway, over the past couple of months i feel like my vision is getting a bit worse, car number plates harder to read and the like..ie i feel like its slipping back.
    I'm only in my early 30's. Wonder if it would it be crazy to be considering retreatment only 5 years on. I must set up an appointment to get things checked and see what their thoughts are..

Hi Irishbreeze Yeah i'd mine done in Optical Express in Whitewater Newbridge they've a surgury at the back of their shop. Yeah i thought they done a great job to be honest. I suffered a bit with night driving with glare but i'd still reccomend them. I suffered a bit with gritty eyes for a couple of months after but the drops help a lot and it does ease over time. Their after surgury care was ok as well as they call you back very frequently as well to make sure everythings ok

thanks, fatherted1969, I had mine done in may, now I have learned that i will need a top up on one eye. so, now looking for someone who had top up after intralase/wavefront lasik. anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

I was in for a consult with OE last weekend -

Optical Express' "lifetime guarantee" is a bit odd.. They'll give you laser top-up for 3 years for free, and after that it's at a discounted rate if you need it.
    They very specifically say they don't cover you for glasses/contacts if your eyes regress to needing a prescription again.
    And they are extremely clear on the fact that age-related long-sightedness is beyond the scope of laser surgery.. i.e. when you get old you need reading glasses and laser eye surgery can't prevent that. Though I have heard that if you are already shortsighted some surgeons will leave one eye still slightly short sighted so that it'll reduce/delay your chances of needing reading glasses in the future.

I'm -4.75 in both eye's with a slight astigmatism in each, worse in the right than the left. But apparently my 7.8mm pupil diameter means I HAVE to get the wavefront version of the treatment, and they've recommended I get LasIk. They seem to only recommend LasEk for folks with thin cornea's. And they also say that most of the folks with complications are people who either miss the 24 hour checkup or don't clean their hands when using the eyedrops in the weeks post-surgery. i.e. the vast majority of complications come from preventable infections because people weren't careful enough.

I'm now set for an appointment in Dublin w/ Evangelos Minos, he's not listed on their irish website but I did find him listed on their UK site as well as with another Laser eye company. He seems to be based in Glasgow normally. If Anyone has had him as their surgeon please do tell !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

thanks, fatherted1969, I had mine done in may, now I have learned that i will need a top up on one eye. so, now looking for someone who had top up after intralase/wavefront lasik. anyone here?

Do you mind sharing which surgeon you had for the original op ?

Advertisement