Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A genuine appeal to voters in Cork South Central

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lads, I'm slightly ashamed that Cork City will be returning 3 FF TDs whereas the whole of Dublin will only have one.

Is getting a few potholes fixed is enough to let FF off the hook for bankrupting the country? I respect the right of people to vote how they choose, by the way, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to think its a terrible choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

i remember what martin/mcgrath did for cork, without them mount oval wouldn't have their school, without them donnybrook would never have gotten money to do up the footpaths and next the roads to make them safer...i could continue.

So, despite everything that went on, it goes back to the old Irish rubbish: "They fixed the roads..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Instead of moaning about it, for our own sanity lets just look to the future with bright optimism!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

evilivor wrote: »
    So, despite everything that went on, it goes back to the old Irish rubbish: "They fixed the roads..."

no it comes down to their policies and the good work they have done on behalf of cork and their constituents,

that was just a local example, what about the smoking ban? that would be a national example of the good work they have done, but you see all this gets forgotten about, as soon as someone makes a mistake its all that people can see. the good parts just get left behind in the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Corkman1970

I hesitated for a second before voting no 1 for Micheal Martin because of him job blocking.

He holding onto his teaching position and accompanying pension but I am ultimately proud of him, believe he is a genuine good rep for Cork and a much better prospect than spoilt brat Simon Coveney who has done nothing to deserve his position other than bearing his surname.

Same could be said of Deirdre Clune but to her immense credit she has been an excellent public servant and its a total shame that she lost her seat whilst waster Coveney sails on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

cornbb wrote: »
    Lads, I'm slightly ashamed that Cork City will be returning 3 FF TDs whereas the whole of Dublin will only have one.

Is getting a few potholes fixed is enough to let FF off the hook for bankrupting the country? I respect the right of people to vote how they choose, by the way, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to think its a terrible choice :)

i'll second that. i'm ashamed the northside will return billy kelleher, who has done nothing on a national or local basis

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Surely Billy fixed a few roads Joulter!!

that was just a local example, what about the smoking ban? that would be a national example of the good work they have done, but you see all this gets forgotten about, as soon as someone makes a mistake its all that people can see. the good parts just get left behind in the dust.
    my dad would more than likely be dead if it wasn't for THe smoking ban, overall though, I think you are really under estimating the damage ff did, the mistakes have us all paying hundreds a month for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

trebormurf wrote: »

if he did fix any roads he didn't do a great job of publicising it. normally gombeen men are great at sending you letters about things they've done for the constituency, i've never gotten anything from him accept a generic vote for billy leaflet at election time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

trebormurf wrote: »

Not round here he ain't! Neither did he do anything about the water situation in the North!!

Bumped into him last night in town. Boy did he look stressed - pulling hard on a fag like it was his life's blood!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

no it comes down to their policies and the good work they have done on behalf of cork and their constituents,

Are you for real?? So, all Fianna Fail did was make a mistake, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I started this thread in a vain attempt to make people consider the implications of their vote and not vote by default. Sadly it seems many of them cannot vote any other way bar FF no matter what the party has done to the electorate. At least the rest of the country seems to have woken up.

Oh well maybe by 2016 some of the FF die hard voters might have died off. I won't hold my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Are you for real?? So, all Fianna Fail did was make a mistake, is it?

No Fianna Fail did not make 'a' mistake, they made many, but i was referring to two people in my posts not the entire party, which i thought was fairly apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

No Fianna Fail did not make 'a' mistake, they made many, but i was referring to two people in my posts not the entire party, which i thought was fairly apparent.

Well you thought wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Personally I'm disgusted that Cork has returned 3 FF muppets to the Dail. The old saying must be true-some people will never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

As a cork man i m disgusted that any fianna failers were returned to office

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I don't know how anyone can defend this.

How exactly can you disassociate an individual in a party from the overall party?
    Each candidate has every right to run as an independent.

Why don't any of them speak out about about their party, leave, go it alone and show they were opposed to all the bad decisions all along? At this point it probably wouldn't have helped, too little too late but they should have done it a long time ago.

So someone fixed a footpath but sold the country down the hole... so they deserve our vote? What a load of crap. Obviously these parish politics still remain and I'm really really sorry they were voted in, in my own constituency.

No, these people CANNOT be singled out as being above their party... they are part of the party meaning they voted with the party on everything to get us in this situation and are totally accountable and to say Martin of all was not, as a senior party member is just delusional.

Fixing a footpath? Give us a break, how does that justify all else?

It's like saying, yeah, I shot the guy officer, but I usually recycle at home and be let off. It doesn't even make any sense.

It's sad that those defending this are the same people voting for our countries future. We could sorely do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've seen all this "Michael McGrath is different from the rest of FF - he's an honest man etc" before. Here's all you need to know about that shyster:
    Originally Posted by VillageMagazine
    Controversial rezonings in Cork

The greenbelt area around Cork city has been opened up for development, in defiance of the local senior planner and An Bord Pleanála....

......One of the major beneficiaries of this is Castlelands Construction, owned by Mallow businessman, John Barry, who plans to build hundreds of houses and apartments in the Bishopstown area......

....suggestions that there may have been a conflict of interest involved in this initiative......

The elected members of the Carrigaline area committee of Cork County Council voted in favour of the new roundabout at Garrendarragh, Bishopstown in July 2006 to service a proposed new private hospital, as well as a park-and-ride facility and a new cemetery.
    The decision opened up for development the lands owned by Castlelands Construction. The roundabout proposal was vigorously opposed by the senior planner in the county, Nicholas Mansergh (brother of the Fianna Fáil Senator, Martin Mansergh).
    Mansergh had also opposed the application for the hospital development stating the application was grossly excessive and three times larger than the plan originally submitted for the hospital
    An Bord Pleanála also had refused permission .....on safety grounds. It did so because it said this would cause traffic congestion on an already busy stretch of road, close to the existing Bandon roundabout......

....However, he says that the real motivation behind the proposal was to facilitate the plans of Castlelands Construction on lands with an estimated value of €100m."I hold that the green belt in Bishopstown is sacrosanct," Canty told Village. "But the members of the committee gave the go-ahead for the roundabout because of the hospital, the park-and-ride and the cemetery access. These may have been red herrings as there are a lot of developers with their eyes on the green belt and this could open it up between Bishopstown and Ballincollig. Castlelands are the main beneficiaries of this decision. Planning in the county has gone crazy over the past few years." ......

.......The roundabout proposal was proposed to the area committee by Fianna Fáil councillors, Michael McGrath and Mark O'Keefe

Now, while there's no evidence that he was involved in planning corruption, the above certainly places him squarely with the rest of the FF crooks.

Welcome to Democracy!

The people have spoken.

Who are any of you to judge the intelligence of Cork voters based on who they give their vote to?

So sick of listening to know-it-all whinge bags harp on about how shameful it is Cork people are still behind FF.

Seriously people, get a grip, build a bridge and get swiftly over it......

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I am delighted that there is a lot of interest in politics and how the country is going to be run, but unfortunately there is not much good debate on the subject.

How come nobody has made comment on the fact that there was no opposition questioning anything that Fianna Fail did in the last few years. I remember the 2007 election when Fine Gael were promising to spend more money and get more teachers etc etc. How come nobody said wait a minute all this money is not real and we cant keep going this way we need to stop.

The issue is not just one party it is the on a whole all the main parties are to blame, yes Fianna Fail deserve to be out in the cold, but if anybody saw Enda and his speech, I doubt in a years time we will be happy with this shower that we elected who are the same people that were there before, just now they are in power. They are still the same local small minded people who want to get pot holes fixed mixed with a shower of moaners and complainers in the form of Independents (not to mention a builder who reportedly owes 40million logic isn't it?).

What we really need is huge reform, what we got is just the same. Hopefully I am wrong, only time will tell. Of course I should stand myself, but don't have the luxury to do it or the family connections to pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not giving Martin his seat back was only way to show our anger. Obviously, in Cork South Central at least, we chickened out.

Well guys I'm heading off around the area to sell snake oil, I expect to make a fortune, I need a catchy name "Gimme Yer Money Oil" ?? Ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

sok2005 wrote: »
    Welcome to Democracy!

The people have spoken.

Who are any of you to judge the intelligence of Cork voters based on who they give their vote to?

So sick of listening to know-it-all whinge bags harp on about how shameful it is Cork people are still behind FF.

So that's 2 FF supporters - Kimono Girl & Sok2005 - who've admitted they've voted FF. Any other FF voters care to reveal themselves so we can laugh at you and ignore your opinions on important issues in the days, months and years to come?

So that's 2 FF supporters - Kimono Girl & Sok2005 - who've admitted they've voted FF. Any other FF voters care to reveal themselves so we can laugh at you and ignore your opinions on important issues in the days, months and years to come?

What a shame that some people think its acceptable to continue ridiculing people because of the party they support.

You wouldnt get that out of a FF supporter!:p:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Spindle wrote: »
    I am delighted that there is a lot of interest in politics and how the country is going to be run, but unfortunately there is not much good debate on the subject.

How come nobody has made comment on the fact that there was no opposition questioning anything that Fianna Fail did in the last few years. I remember the 2007 election when Fine Gael were promising to spend more money and get more teachers etc etc. How come nobody said wait a minute all this money is not real and we cant keep going this way we need to stop.

The issue is not just one party it is the on a whole all the main parties are to blame, yes Fianna Fail deserve to be out in the cold, but if anybody saw Enda and his speech, I doubt in a years time we will be happy with this shower that we elected who are the same people that were there before, just now they are in power. They are still the same local small minded people who want to get pot holes fixed mixed with a shower of moaners and complainers in the form of Independents (not to mention a builder who reportedly owes 40million logic isn't it?).

What we really need is huge reform, what we got is just the same. Hopefully I am wrong, only time will tell. Of course I should stand myself, but don't have the luxury to do it or the family connections to pull it off.

I don't think anyone condoned anyone or any other party who toed the line at the time. But when I checked this topic wasnt about that.

The topic was about voting back in those who DID hold the power on such decisions and voted as such so they are the ones who made it happen.

If people want to go on supporting their own patch while giving 2 fingers to the rest of the country then good luck to them.

I had though the majority would have realised this election for a chance to vote the the national and public interest but as usual the blinkered and selfish among us have used their vote to show that even in a democracy, some are immune.

To be honest in times gone by, even as not a huge FF supporter, I wasn't totally against Martin. Even in the current election he was the one who appeared to come out fighting while others appeared to rest on their laurels expecting to be voted in by default. Having said all that, in this instance, given the damage that was done, it's sickening that these guys can get in as first choices given the damage they've inflicted.

Its obvious the parish and family politics remain and it's a sad sad state of affairs that people STILL only care about their own patch or what they can get for themselves.

True, it's a democracy and people can vote for who they want but for reasons I've already outlines it's very very sad that there are those who wish to use this vote to continually support all that is wrong with Irish politics.

I'll finish with my original point again. You can't disassociate someone from their party. The very fact that they are part of the party means you cannot. If they wanted to they can go against the party and run independant or join a party they feel is doing right, if they felt their own party was not representing the people as they wished any longer. Instead of doing that, they fall in line knowing that this guarantees them votes to get in and collect their government salaries rather than take a stand.

It's just disgusting that someone can actually take a look at the state of the country at present due to one party and vote for individuals saying "Oh well, they fixed my footpath". I really thought people could lookpast themselves in this one, just this one time. But obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a county councillor's job to fix footpaths and potholes in the first instance. Absolutely ridiculous that TDs are concerning themselves with these issues rather than legislating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Stark wrote: »
    It's a county councillor's job to fix footpaths and potholes in the first instance. Absolutely ridiculous that TDs are concerning themselves with these issues rather than legislating.

From experience, because County councillors are not very responsive to queries about local issues but TDs in general are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Welcome to Democracy!

The people have spoken.

No money left to build a bridge, your precious FF needed "2" government jets!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Manach wrote: »
    From experience, because County councillors are not very responsive to queries about local issues but TDs in general are.

Big problem with the system and probably a problem with voters as well. TDs know that if they don't respond, they'll be voted out whereas councillors know that no-one really cares, they just go on to their TDs. People should be focussing more on voting out county councillors who don't respond to local issues and leaving TDs free to focus on more important issues like the country tumbling down around us.

No money left to build a bridge, your precious FF needed "2" government jets!

Seriously...................why did you put the number 2 in quotation marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Seriously...................why did you put the number 2 in quotation marks?
    Why do we need 2 government jets? Highlighting the numerical stupidity of jets for a little country like ours.

Advertisement