Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A genuine appeal to voters in Cork South Central

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

so are you saying martin should have quit, and leave the party who's core values he believes in rather then do as he is doing and trying to clear and clean the FF party?

I can't speak for him but personally yes. I would if it was for the best interest of any politicians constituency and country.

There are 2 options:
    1) Continue to support your party and vote with them. If things go well, you get to take the praise, but here they went bad, you have to take the consequences. You CAN'T however take that stance that "It was all me" when things go well but "Well, that was the party" when they go badly.

2) Concede that your party no longer serves in the national (or local) interest and have lost their "core values" which you believe in. You no longer wish to support some of the things you are obliged to vote for as party member, as they go against your own interests and values and those of the people who voted for you.

I'd have the utmost respect for more people who took option number 2. I'd want to vote for them again, as independent, or other. They appear to be serving in the interest of the people and not their own. But look at the PD's and now the Greens. They didn't do this, they lost their way and they were wiped out. Due to many reasons FF were just too big to be completely wiped out.

I'd respect anyone who did this a lot more.

As a side note, someone on the radio this morning was suggesting Labour should NOT go into government with FG. That if they did this, given how hard things will be on FG over the next few years, come next election they are setting themselves up to be win the majority in the house give it another year or two. But this would require resisting the lure of being in government, even as a number 2 maybe, to make a stand and attempt to go it alone to REALLY get their policies going for the country. I don't know if I agree or not or if it would work or not, it was just an interesting debate... the idea of resisting the lure of joining the government just because you're in the position to do so and instead attempt to serve the greater cause you believe in. It was a good debate.

I'm still intrigued by how any points I make here have been largely ignored by the FF supporters choosing to only reply to petty little points. It's just a debate here, we're all allowed to pose our questions and state our points.

Oh well... Its done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

cornbb wrote: »
    Yes, the electorate took far too long to kick them out. Thats bad enough but people STILL voting for them and standing up for them after the crash really beggars belief.

you know it doesn't really, they are nice guys one of which who may have made mistakes in the eyes of those arguing here, my point of view on the matter is just like the rest of us mistakes made need to be forgiven, if you don't forgive you'll just end up bearing a resentment for years and years and that won't get you anywhere positive.

so i have moved on, the crash has happened, we cannot change that, we have changed who we have in government,we are taking the steps needed for recovery, the question now is how do we continue to fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

so i have moved on, the crash has happened, we cannot change that, we have changed who we have in government,we are taking the steps needed for recovery, the question now is how do we continue to fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again?

Well the first step would be to not repeat the same mistakes over and over again by voting for the people who caused the mess to begin with (Look at todays report. Dept of finance warned over the oncoming economic situation and cabinet ignored them). Most people got that...but 18% of people obviously can't even take that first step. People over the age of 60 I can understand as they have been voting for FF since they were 18 probably...but anyone under 40ish really has no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

To put this whole FF voting debate into context I feel I must share a personal story with you.

When I was younger I got my hair cut into a short bob.
    It was horrific, it didn't suit me at all, my friends and family thought the same, i had made a huge mistake that I had to live with.

However, don't get me wrong, this is not a tale of woe, i am not expecting any sympathy from fellow posters here, i learned a very valuable lesson from that mistake, i have NEVER got a bob since. Even when at a hairdressers and the stylist tells me they are back in fashion I do not bow to pressure because of the mistake I made in the past.

Learning from my mistake made me a better person to judge my future hair style and currently I am sporting bangs.......

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

thejuggler wrote: »
    If anyone in Cork South Central is considering giving Micheal Martin a preference on Friday I would ask them to ask themselves why? Is it because he is party leader? Because he has had a high media profile in the last month? Because he's one of our own?

Can I remind you that this politician has been in cabinet for the last 14 years and has voted for all the dubious decisions that Fianna Fail has inflicted on this country from nama to the bailout of anglo irish bank and bringing in the IMF to borrow money that you, your children and possibly your childrens children will spend your entire lives paying for through increased taxation and levies.

Do you wish to support these policies which are forcing an entire generation to emigrate by giving this candidate your vote?

Please think seriously before casting your vote this Friday. Don't vote for a certain candidate or party just because you or your family always have. This election really matters and your vote counts.

And I voted FG because of their 'burn the bondholders' speech & "not another cent to the banks"...

Oh yeh we're elected now so forget all of that...........here we go again

• Advertisement
Advertisement