Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circa €800 PC Build....

Options
  • 23-02-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im looking to build a PC for circa €800 bucks.

I've configured the following from Hardwareversand.de. Haven't used them before, but people on here that have used them seem to like 'em. And they seem to be pretty reasonable with their component prices.

Im not a massive gamer, but looking for a pretty decent spec, with a little zip, that will last a few years. Primarily will be used for home and work.

I already have an os (Win 7 64bit) so thats covered.

Just wondering what people think of this build.

Also does anyone know the shipping cost from Hardwareversand.de?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you build it yourself you might be able to stretch to a 5770. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Here's a nice build that should do you for the next few years, changed a 2600k to a 2500k, and the 8gb ram to 4gb. Unless you're definitely going to take advantage of hyperthreading (2600k) or loads of extra ram, it's the way to go. It allowed me to use an improved case, psu, graphics and motherboard.

Bear in mind that this P67 chipset is in the middle of a recall for faulty SATA ports, so it could be late March/early April before the new batches come through.

hwvs2500k.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There is no need to spend so much more on the CPU than on the graphics card, and 8GB RAm is just overkill. seyeM's build is much more well balanced.

PSu / Case combos are also a no no, bar for quite low spec internet browsing / microsoft office grade PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

if you gonna use a 5670 as your graphics card then yor better of with athlon, i3 or dual core phenom (and maybe upgrade the gpu to a 5770 aswell) otherwise your just wasting processing power and plus marco is right 8gb is unnecessary should go for 4gb instead and he's also right about thos case\psu combos and as for the hdd your better off getting a spinpoint f3 as it's cheaper and it's a much faster boot drive

Heres a computer that should very future proof that should last you a good few years with an amazing case, new sandybridge i3 and heavily upgradable =]
    Trust me this is all you'll need:

CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 - €109.06
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41220&agid=1617

Motherboard: MSI H67MA-E45 - €91.00
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42051&agid=1603

RAM: 4GB Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9 - €38.52
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33951&agid=1192

Grahpics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB - €109.98
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28979&agid=1004

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - €15.77

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - €47.55
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30028&agid=1284

Disc Drive: Samsung SH-B123L bulk - €54.66
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39700&agid=856

Case: Antec P180 Mini - €102.40
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30920&agid=635

PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 550W - €52.21
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

Build Service - €20
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

Shipping - €30

Total - €671.15

Have to add those to your shopping basket seperatly tho because for some reason the PC Configurator dosn't show some of those components =/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Like I said, Its not really a game machine, so have learnt something about the graphics card and processor power, and also about the case and psu to select.

Ill get back onto the website and look at a more balanced build, as per "seyeM" above.

Like I said its my first build picking out separate components, so was unsure about thingngs like ti i3 vs i5 vs i7 processors and also the socket type to use 1155, 1156 or 1366, as to which would give me at least some future proofing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Like I said, Its not really a game machine, so have learnt something about the graphics card and processor power, and also about the case and psu to select.

Ill get back onto the website and look at a more balanced build, as per "seyeM" above.

Like I said its my first build picking out separate components, so was unsure about thingngs like ti i3 vs i5 vs i7 processors and also the socket type to use 1155, 1156 or 1366, as to which would give me at least some future proofing!

It may help if you could be a bit more specific about the sort of software you will be using it for to get the best build for your needs. For example if you are not a really much of a gamer then even the HD5670 may be overkill (I missed that on the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Jut one more question.

Is there a danger that the motherboard and the system unit may not be exactly compatible?

I know they would say both need to be ATX form factor, but do I need to worry about anything like say there's more USB ports on the board that there are actual USB slots on the system unit? etc?

Like I said, its my first time ordering a PC by selecting its components, and want to make sure everything I order will be compatible. I take it Hardwareversand would notify you of any compatibility when they are building it (I intendt to pay the 20bucks for assembly)?

I know it might be a stupid question but I just want to be happy about that before I order anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 martymol09

Hi what i want is a desktop to hook up to my tv in the bedroom for streaming sky player playing poker and the like maybe play a few games but they wouldnt be overly graphic intensive. What type do I need to buy or would I be better building something better with the kids growing up fast lol. I have a little bit of experience and dont mind spending hours reading making sure everything is compatible. I never taught I would be able to build a pc but I am actually a bit excited about the prospect of it even if a little nervous. Any recommendations or help would be great. Thank you.

Oh and my budget is 600-800.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Jut one more question.

Is there a danger that the motherboard and the system unit may not be exactly compatible?

I know they would say both need to be ATX form factor, but do I need to worry about anything like say there's more USB ports on the board that there are actual USB slots on the system unit? etc?

Like I said, its my first time ordering a PC by selecting its components, and want to make sure everything I order will be compatible. I take it Hardwareversand would notify you of any compatibility when they are building it (I intendt to pay the 20bucks for assembly)?

I know it might be a stupid question but I just want to be happy about that before I order anything.

Just take a look at mine or seyem's design the mobo's are 100% compatible with the cpu's and have plenty of usb ports ;)

• Advertisement

martymol09 wrote: »
    Hi what i want is a desktop to hook up to my tv in the bedroom for streaming sky player playing poker and the like maybe play a few games but they wouldnt be overly graphic intensive. What type do I need to buy or would I be better building something better with the kids growing up fast lol. I have a little bit of experience and dont mind spending hours reading making sure everything is compatible. I never taught I would be able to build a pc but I am actually a bit excited about the prospect of it even if a little nervous. Any recommendations or help would be great. Thank you.

Oh and my budget is 600-800.

I'll help you out there no bother but your gonna need to start you own thread first

They will all be compatible, the majority of the USB ports are on the motherboard I/O panel, that is accessible through a standard sized slot on the back of the case. The USB ports on the front of the case are connected via cable to the motherboard.

Everything else is compatible, but i'll reiterate that you may want to wait until the revised sandybridge motherboards are available to save yourself hassle of swapping down the road. Also the performance of AMDs Bulldozer CPUs are rumoured to be released soon, something else to keep an eye on.

ignore the sandy-bridge problem and get an amd or 1156 set up cause it could be months before it's sorted plus amd's new cpu's will be out by then (hopefully), only wait for sandybridge if your planning on a €1000+ gaming rig

• Registered Users Posts: 41 adam111111

i saw what you have posted in this thread and i want to ask u kindly if u could help me chosin parts 4 a pc , it will b runin programs such as , photoshop , sony vegas , camtasia , burnin DVDs.....i prefer to have an intel i5 with 6gb of ram and a decent video card , memory is not a big deal 250gb will b enough . no blu ray . my budget will be ideally €700 . does this german site build the pc 4 u and deliver it ready to work for €20 really :)!!!!

thanx a lot

6gb is overkill on the sandy-bridge platorm tbh you'll only need 4gb i swear, 6gb is only really need with 1366 i7's because they use triple channel ram and even then the usage barely ever goes over 4gb

seyeM wrote: »
    Here's a nice build that should do you for the next few years, changed a 2600k to a 2500k, and the 8gb ram to 4gb. Unless you're definitely going to take advantage of hyperthreading (2600k) or loads of extra ram, it's the way to go. It allowed me to use an improved case, psu, graphics and motherboard.

Bear in mind that this P67 chipset is in the middle of a recall for faulty SATA ports, so it could be late March/early April before the new batches come through.

hwvs2500k.png[/QUOT[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/yaseen/Desktop/hardwareversand.de%20-%20My%20basket_1299710563808.png[/IMG]E]
    hi there
    could you please have a look at the list in the image and tell me what u think of it. is there anything missin and mainly is this enough to make the pc work properly !!! i have the operating system already .
    thank you very much

Hi Adam, you've mismatched a few things there in that list (CPU, Ram, Chipset). Do you need a monitor?

You say you want to use photoshop/sony vegas/camtasia. I may be wrong here so verify this, but I don't think that these applications need a powerful GPU - you could probably get by using a motherboard's integrated graphics and save a good bit of cash. You did specifically mention that you want a decent video card, were you planning on doing some gaming or other GPU intensive activities with the PC?

The motherboards for the sandybridge i5s are still under recall and a select few are on HWVS are said to be back in stock in late March.

You don't seem to need a powerhouse PC to meet your needs, if this is true I'd recommend that you consider going the cheaper AMD quad core and integrated graphics. You could get it all for less €450 incl delivery going this way.

If on the other hand you need more power, then you could get a very capable machine for €700

seyeM wrote: »
    Hi Adam, you've mismatched a few things there in that list (CPU, Ram, Chipset). Do you need a monitor?

You say you want to use photoshop/sony vegas/camtasia. I may be wrong here so verify this, but I don't think that these applications need a powerful GPU - you could probably get by using a motherboard's integrated graphics and save a good bit of cash. You did specifically mention that you want a decent video card, were you planning on doing some gaming or other GPU intensive activities with the PC?

The motherboards for the sandybridge i5s are still under recall and a select few are on HWVS are said to be back in stock in late March.

You don't seem to need a powerhouse PC to meet your needs, if this is true I'd recommend that you consider going the cheaper AMD quad core and integrated graphics. You could get it all for less €450 incl delivery going this way.

If on the other hand you need more power, then you could get a very capable machine for €700

Thanx a lot for the quick reply .
    about the monitor i do have one ,and yes i will be using some video editing and photo editing programs fotoshop, sony vegas.... all i need at this stage is the tower . about the gaming i think at some stage yes , but i'm not buyin the pc mainly for gaming . also i dont want to go cheap and end up with a pc that doesn't pass the test of time , i want to spend an average amount (€700) and try to get the best i can with that money , if you consider spendin that type of money in one of dublin's shops you wont get anything reliable for photo editing . photoshop 3d , video editing .....and you'll find yourself buyin again the following year !!!!
    i think i will wait a bit for now until the sandybridge i5 problem is solved , i had bad memories with AMD in the past so i'm tryin not to go down that road again .
    have a good day , i really appreciate your help as you sound like some one who knows very well what he is talkin about , it is very kind of you to advice me in this matter .

tbh if your not really gaming an amd hex-core would be best suited as they perform alot better in apps than the current generation of i5's which were more intended for gaming so you should just put your past with amd behind and consider a 1055t or 1100t atleast

tbh if your not really gaming an amd hex-core would be best suited as they perform alot better in apps than the current generation of i5's which were more intended for gaming so you should just put your past with amd behind and consider a 1055t or 1100t atleast

i will take this recommendation very seriously . last question please , what about the german site . will they assemble all the components and send me a ready to use computer (obviously without the OS) for €20 ? it sounds very good

• Advertisement

yup they do altho you should check the "we'll build your pc" thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197599) to find someone in your location so you could get it done free ;)

The new i5s really do appear to offer better performance all round, see here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=288 and here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/15

This has come in slightly over the €700 budget, but features strong components all round:
    Good motherboard (new B3 stepping, ready for dispatch on the 22nd of March), CPU, GPU, Case and 1Tb harddrive to ease storage issues in the future. A quality PSU to allow further expansion and that will last you a long time.

hwvs2500k700euro.png

If you're gonna game as some point in the future, the Radeon 6850 will serve you well for some time to come at all but the highest resolutions. For example, this setup would play crysis 2 with no problems. In a few years, if you want to bump up detail, resolution or play an extremely demanding game, this setup also allows you to use another 6850 in crossfire too.

On the other hand, if you're not going to be gaming for another year or more, graphics technology will most likely have moved on when you need one, and purchasing one then will give you a more powerful card for your money.

I would always recommend spending an extra 10-30 on certain components to ensure quality and longevity as I have done here. This extends the life of the PC.

If you plan to overclock the CPU and are comfortable using a custom cooler, then add one of those to list.

As for Hardwareversand assembling it, it adds an extra €20 to the price, plus the components may go through a bumpy ride assembled in the case on the way over. If you're open to it at all, I'd recommend building it yourself from the components, it's not as difficult as it sounds - there are plenty of tutorial videos and guides online. You could also check out Metal's build-assistance thread in this forum.

i have placed an order for the computer components , i've spent quiet a long time goin through all the advice i got in this thread and i think i have managed to keep the cost very low and have the features i wanted , taking in consideration your valuable advice .
    one thing i didnt know about the site is that it doesn't take money online , so i had to go to the bank "twice" and transfer the money to them (my advice to anyone buyin from them is to take the email they send u with to the bank to make sure u have all the info with u), which means i have to wait extra few days for the transfer to be completed (3 to 4 workin days accordin to BOI ) .
    have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

adam111111 wrote: »
    i have placed an order for the computer components , i've spent quiet a long time goin through all the advice i got in this thread and i think i have managed to keep the cost very low and have the features i wanted , taking in consideration your valuable advice .
    one thing i didnt know about the site is that it doesn't take money online , so i had to go to the bank "twice" and transfer the money to them (my advice to anyone buyin from them is to take the email they send u with to the bank to make sure u have all the info with u), which means i have to wait extra few days for the transfer to be completed (3 to 4 workin days accordin to BOI ) .
    have a good day

Oh dear you've ordered a socket 1156 motherboard and a socket 1155 CPU. Unfortunately these are not compatible. This motherboard would be compatible and is in stock now.

Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3-B3, Intel H67, ATX
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43757&agid=1601

If you go for that board you won't need the discrete graphics card either as the H67 chipset uses the integrated gpu of the sandy bridge cpu.

Also socket 1155 boards require RAM to be in pairs not triples so you would then need to buy a kit with 2 sticks of ddr3 rather than 3 sticks.

Also you would be better going for the 2500k as it's cheaper but the same speed. The only difference is the multiplier is unlocked which makes it better for overclocking and it will have a higher resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's not the only difference; the K version also has the better GPU. It's funny seeing the 2500K for cheaper. There must be much higher demand.

sink wrote: »
    Also you would be better going for the 2500k as it's cheaper but the same speed. The only difference is the multiplier is unlocked which makes it better for overclocking and it will have a higher resale value.
    oh dear oh dear , i'm lucky that i didnt wait to get the parts to post the comment !!! about the motherboard you mentioned they don't have it on stock yet .
    i will try to replace the intel i5 to i5-655k that one is lga1156 . and it is available . how to fix the ram !! if i get a 4 gb stick + 2gb stick will that work ? :confused:

adam111111 wrote: »
    oh dear oh dear , i'm lucky that i didnt wait to get the parts to post the comment !!! about the motherboard you mentioned they don't have it on stock yet .
    i will try to replace the intel i5 to i5-655k that one is lga1156 . and it is available . how to fix the ram !! if i get a 4 gb stick + 2gb stick will that work ? :confused:

That's odd, they must have sold out of them fast because the board was available earlier.

The i5-655k is a big step down from the i5-2500k. Firstly it's a dual-core instead of quad, and secondly it's based on an older slower architecture.

The 1155 socket boards with the new B3 stepping are only just coming into stock, they should have more in soon enough, I would wait an get one of them.

You should buy the ram in matched pairs so either 4GB(2GB + 2GB) or 8GB(4GB + 4GB) kits. 4GB in total is plenty of ram for most tasks, the only reason to add more is for heavy duty photo/video editing, or CAD/CGI.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    That's odd, they must have sold out of them fast because the board was available earlier.

The i5-655k is a big step down from the i5-2500k. Firstly it's a dual-core instead of quad, and secondly it's based on an older slower architecture.

The 1155 socket boards with the new B3 stepping are only just coming into stock, they should have more in soon enough, I would wait an get one of them.

You should buy the ram in matched pairs so either 4GB(2GB + 2GB) or 8GB(4GB + 4GB) kits. 4GB in total is plenty of ram for most tasks, the only reason to add more is for heavy duty photo/video editing, or CAD/CGI.
    do you reckon if i keep the cpu and get this motherboard : http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43855&agid=1601 and add a 2gb ram stick . this will fix the problem ?

Advertisement