Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American writers

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I love American writing, John Updike, Philip Roth, Don Delillo, Jonathon Franzen, etc. I love the way they write, the sweep of their themes, their confidence, the way they use language.

I'm looking for some recommendations for younger American writers, the next generation. I've read Stephen Amidon recently, and Tom Perrota, Jeffrey Eugenides also, but I find it hard to find out what is worth reading from America. I've come to the source of all wisdom - Boards.ie - for recommendations. Any suggestions appreciated.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I might be highjacking your thread, but +1 for John Irving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MARTINOZ

You should definitely read Michael Chabon, Jonathan Lethem and Jonathan Safran-Foer. The first two are my favourite authors. I have yet to read anything by them that I didn't love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Mary Lawson (Canadian) writes very well and has some novels out in recent years. "The Other Side of the Bridge" is one I'd recommend if you havent read it. For sheer genius in writing (though not recent) Richard Yates "Revolutionary Road" just takes your breath away. Every page amazing. The film is only a shadow of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

fisgon wrote: »
    I love American writing, John Updike, Philip Roth, Don Delillo, Jonathon Franzen, etc. I love the way they write, the sweep of their themes, their confidence, the way they use language.

I'm looking for some recommendations for younger American writers, the next generation. I've read Stephen Amidon recently, and Tom Perrota, Jeffrey Eugenides also, but I find it hard to find out what is worth reading from America. I've come to the source of all wisdom - Boards.ie - for recommendations. Any suggestions appreciated.....

It's funny, I came to the literature forum today to post a similar question, so your post has given me some great ideas for authors to try. I would recommend John Irving, my favourite author. I would start with his earlier books, The Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meaney are my favourites. Some of his newer stuff is a bit strange if you aren't sure what to expect. Or what about Cormac McCarthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Thanks to all.

I've actually read a lot of John Irving, one of my first favourite writers back in the nineties, A Prayer For Owen Meaney was my favourite book for years. Jonathon Saffroen Foer's first book put me off him, technically brilliant but a lot of self indulgence. Jonathan Lethem's Fortress of Solitude was brilliant, thanks for reminding me of him, MARTINOZ, must check out more from him. Tried reading Cormac McCarthy a number of times, never got past the first few pages. Maybe i just need to persevere.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MARTINOZ

Thanks to all.

I've actually read a lot of John Irving, one of my first favourite writers back in the nineties, A Prayer For Owen Meaney was my favourite book for years. Jonathon Saffroen Foer's first book put me off him, technically brilliant but a lot of self indulgence. Jonathan Lethem's Fortress of Solitude was brilliant, thanks for reminding me of him, MARTINOZ, must check out more from him. Tried reading Cormac McCarthy a number of times, never got past the first few pages. Maybe i just need to persevere.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

With Lethem, you should definitely try Motherless Brooklyn. It's outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Kurt Vonnegut? If he's a bit dated, maybe Rick Moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Chuck Palahniuk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Chip Kidd and William Kennedy are two American authors I would definitely recommend if you haven't already read them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

John Kennedy Toole - A confederacy of dunces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

+1 for Michael Chabon

Huge fan of him, never not liked a book of his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

buck65 wrote: »
    John Kennedy Toole - A confederacy of dunces.

Is this any good? Have bought it over a year ago but still haven't read it. Generally don't like comedy books but after reading Catch 22 decided to get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Elmore Leonard is a good crime writer. Easy to read and generally enjoyable stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Micheal Cunningham - The Hours is a fantastic work which has stayed with me since I read it more than 10 years ago.

Second Jonathan Frazen love his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rubabbel

I loved Confederacy of Dunces, have yet to meet anyone who didn't feel the same (although I'm sure there are a good few). I would second Vonnegut. I would say he's a patchy writer, but books like Slaughterhouse 5 and Mother Night are still fantastic books. Not exactly a new author though.

Julie Orringer is, however, a new author. I loved her collection of short stories, but was nonplussed by her first novel. Try her short stories first, and hope she continues in a similar vein for her next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

I'd be into similar stuff - Franzen, Eugenides (Middlesex is stunning) etc. I'm guessing you've read Underworld by Delillo, but if not I'd definitely recommend it. I persevered with Safron Foer despite the gimmickry, but I'm also not convinced.

On the basis of other stuff you've liked, I'd recommend Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. I know it's a western, just trust me on this.

I'd second Michael Chabon - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is a bit flaky, but good. The Yiddish Policeman's Union is great.

Richard Ford - A genius, but a bit heavy for some - Start with The Sportswriter and see how you get on - it's followed by Independence Day and The Lay of the Land.

I'm a fan of Paul Theroux's fiction - A Secret History is a good place to start.

EL Doctorow writes some great books - City of God might be a bit dreamy, but Billy Bathgate should be read more.
    Despite it being by an Irishman, I'd classify Colm McCann's Let The Great World Spin as a great american-style novel.
    Michael Cunningham - I liked the Hours, but preferred A Home at the End of the World (crap film though).
    Tom Wolfe? Bonfire of the Vanities is what it is.
    Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace - might be a bit messy if you are into stuff with normal narrative
    E Annie Proulx, The Shipping News (kinda Canadian, I suppose)
    Willie Vlautin - Lean on Pete - a great piece of Americana. A stunning little book.

Btw, skip The Diviners - Rick Moody - really disappointing. I thought it was going to be another good american novel along the lines of the stuff you mention. It's really crap. Meanwhile this all reminds me that I have a Jonathan Lethem novel on the shelf, You Don't Love me Yet, but I gather it'll only put me off his good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

excellent thread.
    has sorted my reading list for 2013 probably :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

rubabbel wrote: »
    I loved Confederacy of Dunces, have yet to meet anyone who didn't feel the same (although I'm sure there are a good few). I would second Vonnegut. I would say he's a patchy writer, but books like Slaughterhouse 5

Funny, I've read both of these books, respected American classics, and thought them massively disappointing. I was looking forward to the John Kennedy Toole book and I would say that it was the most overrated book I have ever read. It was as if it had been written by a fourteen year old high school student who didn't really know what he was doing. Very poor.

Slaughterhouse 5 I thought was a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

One of my favourite writers.If you get a chance give him a try.
    In the Rogue Blood is in my top ten.
    The friends of Pancho Villa and Wildwood Boys are also well worth reading.
    James Carlos Blake (born May 26, 1947) is an American writer of novels, novellas, short stories, and essays. His work has received extensive critical favor and several notable awards. He has been called “one of the greatest chroniclers of the mythical American outlaw life” as well as “one of the most original writers in America today and … certainly one of the bravest.” He is a recipient of the University of South Florida's Distinguished Humanities Alumnus Award and a member of the Texas Institute of Letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Funny, I've read both of these books, respected American classics, and thought them massively disappointing. I was looking forward to the John Kennedy Toole book and I would say that it was the most overrated book I have ever read. It was as if it had been written by a fourteen year old high school student who didn't really know what he was doing. Very poor.

Slaughterhouse 5 I thought was a complete mess.

I read Confederacy of Dunces many years ago and even though I generally don't like book with odious main characters as Ignatius obviously is, I loved this book. Some of the best comedic writing in any book I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I absolutely loved Confederacy of Dunces although I will admit it is probably about 100 pages too long, there is a scene towards the start of the book which involves a taxi (long time since I read it, can't remember too well) which is so funny that I literally(well not really) píssed myself.

I know that this is an old thread but new American writers that I like are Junot Diaz, Chad Harbach(art of fielding), Patrick DeWitt(sisters brothers).

Advertisement