Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Briste, Downpatrick Head, Co. Mayo??

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Anyone know this area well? Looking to try and get down sea level and take pics of the sea stack. Ive seen pics of it but heard its dangerous enough.
    Anybody ever get down to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I've heard of lots of people who went down there over the years - all suicides ! That'll give you some idea of the danger there. Definitely you will need climbing gear and 2 or 3 people to help. Its several years since I peeked down. I cannot recall any ledges.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

You can walk around the base of the cliffs at sea level on low tide from the car park right around close to the sea stack. I know many people who have done it but never tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I certainly wouldnt recommend it myself! Lots of people have died there accidentally, the last I heard was a teacher last year. I tried getting some shots but I am not that brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

Riamfada wrote: »
    Lots of people have died there accidentally, the last I heard was a teacher last year

I really don't think you have your facts right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I really don't think you have your facts right?

Well I heard it from a local...if I had first hand experience I would have stated it as a fact. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Don't do it on your own and make sure you always check the weather forecast before attempting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Cheers for the info folks, Yeah will have a couple of people with me, and will wait for low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭evolutionix

I know this area better than most on here id safely say :-) the best way to shoot this is take a boat out of rathlacken pier... ballycastle pier or kilcummin. Or if you have ajet ski a few mins will take you from rathlacken pier or Ballycastle. safest too.... About all the accidental deaths them facts are not true... sure there is an odd one but as one poster put it there is lots but this isnt true.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Cheers for that info, I got an email from another photographer who has done it but with someone local and who knows the tides well.
    Here is a pic of it from sea level.
    http://shop.petercox.ie/products/dun-briste-downpatrick-head-mayo

Advertisement