Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove bath, install shower labour costs - please help

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Just trying to get a rough idea of what I should be paying to have a bath removed from upstairs bathroom, and to have a shower enclosure with thermostatic mixer installed in its place?

Its a tiny bathroom, biggest shower it will fit is 760*1200 and that's barely leaving room to swing a cat, it will be pumped from the mains, (solar system)

There is a pump under the bath at the moment (which is plugged in) I don't know how to get around this, without having to take up the existing floor tiles - maybe have it boxed in behind the loo? :confused:
    When the bath comes out, the wall will probably need retiling,

Sorry i am clueless, I had one plumber in and he reckons the whole job would take 4 days max, its a new house so I thought it'd be straight forward enough, maybe I shoulf just replace the bath with a new bath - overhead shower? it needs replacing because the bath is cracked and leaking,

I'd really appreciate any help, guidance as I can't afford to get ripped offThanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

well cheapest option with a bath is always just to replace the bath , otherwise you need to start worrying about moving pipes etc which pushes up the cost a fair bit.
    To replace a standard bath with , the same size standard bath would prob be a days work to a guy on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 candj

Thanks, that might be what I have to do, at the moment its just a standard mixer tap and over head shower, but the water pressure is so strong, the shower head keeps jumping off the wall (hense the crack in the bath), suppose it wouldn't be too major to replace the bath with a bath but put a proper Thermostatic shower on - would it?:confused:

do you think its unusual that the pump and plug would be located under the bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

candj wrote: »
    Thanks, that might be what I have to do, at the moment its just a standard mixer tap and over head shower, but the water pressure is so strong, the shower head keeps jumping off the wall (hense the crack in the bath), suppose it wouldn't be too major to replace the bath with a bath but put a proper Thermostatic shower on - would it?:confused:

do you think its unusual that the pump and plug would be located under the bath?
    I havent seen it done much , but i have seen it , there is a restrictor you can get for the shower heads to limit the pressure .
    I have seen different brands available but a quick google brought up this which is like what youd want , it will basically restrict the pressure left into the hose and head http://www.aguaflux.eu/flow-restrictors/flow-regulator.html

thanks a million for your help, I might try to get a couple of quotes before I scrap the shower idea altogether

thanks a million for your help, I might try to get a couple of quotes before I scrap the shower idea altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Did you get your quotes? I'd be interested to hear what they were, since I'm also looking to replace a bath with a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cannot just replace a bath with a bath. There will be tile breakages and if you have no spares you will need new ones.

It sounds like from reading your message you are doing something on a tite budget.

I would be giving myself a budget of 3-4k for this.

Reason being if you do replace the bath and need to replace the tiling by the time you take out the old you would have been half way to where you need to be.

Advertisement