Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats, do they really give a sh1te about you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

maryxyz wrote: »
    As someone said "Dogs have owners, cats have staff !! "

Yeah cos dogs do everything for themselves and dont require you to do anything for them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Our last cat loved us, but on her conditions only!That meant....feed me, let me sleep on your bed, and pet me ONLY when I allow it (which was at fairly random intervals!)
    But (we had her from a kitten) she loved getting up on our laps and going to sleep on them. Or burrowing her nose into my armpit and snoozing.

My current 2, on the other hand, are ridiculous. One is afraid of her shadow, but loves us aswell! Hops up on the window when the car pulls in, throws herself at our feet as we walk around the house, to be scratched. And her sister is a complete disgrace to the feline breed - she's closer to a dog in her habits! Comes when you call her name (bounding up the hall to you!!!), wants to be on your lap all the time, follows us around, demands to have her head scratched constantly, and makes friends with everyone who walks through the door. Neither of them stray far from the back garden; they meet us at the front door when we come home, either sitting on the windowsill, or sunning themselves on the front lawn.

As I type, they are both snoring on the bed beside me, and delighted with life (they spent a good 15 mins earlier cleaning each others faces and ears). They're terribly cute.I've no idea whether they love me or not, but I do love them!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Shenshen wrote: »
    Considering mine will follow me around the house most of the time, and in the garden as well, wait for me to come home at night and will not settle down or sleep until I'm home, I'd say they do.

I doubt they'd show that much interest in a passing visitor to my house, though.

Mine too. My two rescue kittens (well 7 month olds) are nervous cats, but they follow me around the garden purring and rubbing up to my legs. You could just say they want food, but they do it even when they're not hungry and I have nothing in my hands. They don't even want attention, they just want to follow me :)

My friend who studied psychology actually said that dogs are one animal that feel pure love, because they're absolutely in love with their owners. And that cats don't feel love. they just have a longing for affection and they "want" to be with their owners, but don't love them. But then he said there is no such thing as love anyway. :D

But he liked my cat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

My female kitten Tibbs is very attached to me....follows me everywhere, wakes me in the morning etc. The little guy, Maxi is extremely affectionate but more loyal to Tibbs! He follows her everywhere and will cry if he cant find her. :)
    There were both recently in a cattery for 4 days and when I came back to get them, Maxi just looked at me as if to say 'Oh tis yourself, want do you want'. Where as Tibbs went crazy when she saw me - she definitley missed me. (Best feeling ever :o)

• Advertisement

poconnor16 wrote: »
    There were both recently in a cattery for 4 days and when I came back to get them, Maxi just looked at me as if to say 'Oh tis yourself, want do you want'. Where as Tibbs went crazy when she saw me - she definitley missed me. (Best feeling ever :o)

Yeah when a cat is missing for a while and then comes home, they really show that they love you :)

I had a kitten who was missing for 4 days and someone found her. My dad called me to tell me she was home and I could hear her purring down the phone. She was so happy for weeks and wouldn't go outside and if I left the room she'd go mad thinking she'd lose me again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My cat is incredibly affection. Total cliché, but it depends on the love you show them imo.

My friend who studied psychology actually said that dogs are one animal that feel pure love, because they're absolutely in love with their owners. And that cats don't feel love. they just have a longing for affection and they "want" to be with their owners, but don't love them. But then he said there is no such thing as love anyway. :D

But he liked my cat! :)
    That's incredibly cute if it's true :) My baby is so weird though, when you enter the room she goes mad looking for attention, she jumps onto your lap and rubs her face into yours and won't stop until you literally smother her with love! But after about half an hour she starts biting and scraping the **** outta your hands, but if you put her down she'll just jump back up and sit there. Hopefully she'll grow out of that, she's only 7 months. :)

That's incredibly cute if it's true :)

I think it's true, but I think they do love their owners too :) Whatever love is, I think all animals feel it to some degree. Ok maybe not tiny insects and stuff, but I think animals love their offspring, and their animal friends and their owners :)

I don't think my rabbits love me really, though they do like me, but they love each other :) and they love their babies until they get sick of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

A cat will care about you if you care about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

maryxyz wrote: »
    As someone said "Dogs have owners, cats have staff !! "

:D

'You don't own the cat, the cat owns you'. That's what I heard ;)

I think a lot of people just don't understand cats.

Cats aren't always as friendly as dogs to strangers, so most cats won't run up to a stranger and be friends with it. Some of mine would (two or three out of six) but the others would be scared and you'd have to gain their trust.

So if people don't own cats, then they think cats aren't friendly, cos the only ones they've met weren't friendly. Or they have owned cats but didn't give them enough attention so they were semi-feral or something.

Cats are really complex and intelligent and they can be really friendly if you get to know them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My cat will be sitting across on a neighbours wall and will literally run to at speed when I go out side. She will then shadow me around the back garden as I clean or do some gardening just keeping my company. She is very affectionate, I never knew how strong a cat was until I got my cat and experienced her head butting rubs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭peckerhead

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    A cat will care about you if you care about it.
    Like a fifty-dollar whore it will.

peckerhead wrote: »
    Like a fifty-dollar whore it will.
    Feck off back to your dog threads. Dogs love you automatically, cats choose to love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

There are 4 of us in our house
    Me, mini me, hubby & baby
    and our cat LOVES me
    He follows me everywhere
    He sleeps under our bed at night (on my side)
    If I am in town he recognises the sound of my car pulling into the drive and is sitting by the front door to greet me when I get home
    He comes when I call him if he is outside

Our 9 year old he tolerates
    My hubby he HATES :D
    The baby he hasn't figured out just yet :p

He is madly over protective towards me and will hiss and arch his back at strangers if he detects animosity from me towards them (very handy when you have canvassers calling to the door in recent weeks)

Other visitors he will ignore if I am happy with them

All in all a very cool cat

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Everytime mine see's me you would swear she hadn't seen me for days, and when she hasn't seen me for days and I come home she's stuck like glue to me, purring, nudging me, licking me, standing on top of any body part she can climb onto, just generally being a pest in a lovable way! :D

She has to sleep downstairs because otherwise Id get no sleep if she slept in the room with me, when she comes upstairs in the morning and Im still in bed she will lick my face and in my ears, she will nudge me, purr loudly in my ears and dribble all over me before settling down as close as possible to me either on or under the sheets.
    Then as soon as I get up she will follow me around the house as I do my usual morning routine of washing, brushing teeth, getting breakfast, if I take a shower she will either wait outside the shower staring in at me or wait outside the bathroom door until I come out.

She's also weird in that she shows no interest in food whatsoever, most cats like you describe would take the hand off you to get more food and will keep eating until they burst, but she will eat just enough until she's full and leave it at that, so our morning routine isin't just about her wanting to get me up to feed her, she genuinely just wants to follow me everywhere.

I think she has attachment issues! :D
    One of ours is exactly like this with Mrs Fastfuse. Even the food thing. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chesmond666

our family cat was 21 when she died and she hadnt left her basket in years only to go to her bowl and her tray in my parents house. On the day she died she got up and hobbled over to my house next door to say goodbye to me then she went home and died by her basket. It was heartbreaking, she was such a loving cat - of course cats love their masters everybit as much as dogs in my opinion

Advertisement