Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Month Old TV not working

• 23-02-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Bought a TV from Argos in Sept - the screen is discoloured - green - purple - i want to bring it back. I have the receipt somewhere but I guess the shopgirls in Argos are going to give me hassle. What kind of time limits are there on bringing stuff back. Obviously a TV should work for more than 5 months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

you have a twelve month warranty with the receipt, so id start looking for it. also if you payed by credit card that should count too if you have the statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

ok thanks for your reply...I'll see how it goes tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Nevermind whatever guarantee or warranty comes with the box or offered by the shop. You are covered by the Sale of Goods & Supplies act 1980 I think it is. Bring the product back, produce the reciept, inform them it doesn't work and you want either a repair, replacement or refund. Quote said act and don't accept any guff least of all "oh it's not us, here's the manufacturer's phone number, ring them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nevermind whatever guarantee or warranty comes with the box or offered by the shop. You are covered by the Sale of Goods & Supplies act 1980 I think it is. Bring the product back, produce the reciept, inform them it doesn't work and you want either a repair, replacement or refund. Quote said act and don't accept any guff least of all "oh it's not us, here's the manufacturer's phone number, ring them".
    but you must have the receipt or proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

born2bwild wrote:
    Bought a TV from Argos in Sept...

What brand was it do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Priori wrote: »
    What brand was it do you mind me asking?

Afaik Argos will accept credit card bill showing purchase as receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Once you can prove that is where you bought the TV they are obliged to change it. They can also offer you a repair, but you are under NO obligation to accept it, you are entitled to a new product or your money back!

I doubt they'll give you any hassle once you have backup documentation, and your credit card bill should be proof enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Once you can prove that is where you bought the TV they are obliged to change it. They can also offer you a repair, but you are under NO obligation to accept it, you are entitled to a new product or your money back!

I doubt they'll give you any hassle once you have backup documentation, and your credit card bill should be proof enough!
    you're entitled to one of the 3, you cannot select which one, under Irish consumer law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

I also seem to recall argos having a policy of accepting a witness to the purchase as valid proof of purchase, think they have to sign something saying yes, i saw X but this on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

RachaelVO wrote: »

that may be the case in holland buddy, but not here.
    it's repair, replace, refund in that order.
    feel free to check out the consumer rights association of ireland website for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

phill106 wrote: »
    I also seem to recall argos having a policy of accepting a witness to the purchase as valid proof of purchase, think they have to sign something saying yes, i saw X but this on that day.

very funny. you are covered by argos as long as you are over 80 and have both grandparents with you on the date of purchase.

Advertisement