Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claregalway Bypass RANT!!!

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Just got a flyer in the letterbox from Frank Fahey. Sneaking around in the dark. Basically saying, there will be no bypass for claregalway because the new motorway from tuam will take all the cars away. So At last, I now know why this project never went ahead . I am now convinced hes being blocking this bypass at the highest level to protect his seat. So is he saying the county council are liars, i assume hes basically trying to hurt grealishs progress below
    http://www.nuachtchlair.com/good-news-at-last-as-construction-of-claregalway-bypass-goes-to-tender/

When Galway sees the back of this cretin the better. I have a flyer kept on file where he basically told everyone in Claregalway he got the bypass, when it was first announced as a possibility 6 years ago. Really pissed off tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A proposed motorway 11 miles away will not sort Claregalway's problems. It will have a very minor affect on the traffic volume considering it's location.
    Frank Fahy's bull**** is obviously aimed against Grealish and / or the Tuam to Athenry route benefits him in some way.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

tred wrote: »
    When Galway sees the back of this cretin the better

So Friday then?

I've never had a shred of respect for the guy and this rubbish of putting signs up with pictures of fantastic bridges across rivers is the worst kind of electioneering. I genuinely feel for anyone that has to commute through Claregalway, not to mind people living in the village, it should have been bypassed aeons ago, it would be a great place if it was.

I can see how the new motorway to Tuam would take some of the traffic away but to deny the village this long awaited bypass another day longer would be madness. Loughrea has a bypass as well as being avoided by the motorway, and the town is the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Claregalway will never be bypassed no matter what any gangster politician says. Everyone wants it but nobody wants it through they're lands. NRA must be reluctant to enforce CPOs. The motorway would take a few cars away but not many as it doesn't go directly to the city, just joins the M6 afaik. If they threw a roundabout where those poxy lights are it'd be much better. Not perfect, but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Greed. A lot of the issue with the lands was, they thought they were worth a million an acre. There now back to agricultural values. theyll get more probably off NRA..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Wouldnt be holding out much hope for the Tuam Gort motorway just yet...
    The main contractor hasn't signed up due to financial difficulties..ie. banks are not lending due to Irelands sovereign situation......

Another reason for a couple more years of a hold up.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Got a leaflet in the door from Frankeen about revamping Cregmore cross to make it safer.
    I'd rather hear about what he is going to do for the local economy than the local roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A claregalway bypass is needed as is the Gort to Tuam motorway. At least Frank got his just deserts for landing neither of the projects although he will claim he has til the cows come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I'm in my early 50's and in reasonably good health.
    I don't expect to live long enough to see either of those projects delivered.

bagels wrote: »
    I'm in my early 50's and in reasonably good health.
    I don't expect to live long enough to see either of those projects delivered.

Lets hope your wrong Bagels. Now that Frank is gone out of the picture, we might have some chance in claregalway. A project like this would bring work and jobs and revive the shops in claregalway. Lord have Mercy on Michael Hughes claregalawy, he was fighting for this, to bring life back to the shops in the area, the hotel wants it. local Business want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I was of the understanding that Galway County Council had appointed consultants to finalise the design of the inner relief road and bring it to CPO stage in the summer or autumn.

Senior Roads Engineer Martin Lavelle was quoted as saying as much as well as confirming the money was earmarked for the project. Why go through this process now if the project is not going to go ahead? Now that the Gort to Tuam motorway is frigged, this has taken on a whole new importance.

• Advertisement

dec25532 wrote: »
    I was of the understanding that Galway County Council had appointed consultants to finalise the design of the inner relief road and bring it to CPO stage in the summer or autumn.

Senior Roads Engineer Martin Lavelle was quoted as saying as much as well as confirming the money was earmarked for the project. Why go through this process now if the project is not going to go ahead? Now that the Gort to Tuam motorway is frigged, this has taken on a whole new importance.

I agree. But who knows whats going on in the background.

Has anyone got a map of the proposed bypass. I believe its going on the castleside, but is it coming out somewhere betweent he church and the school on oranmore road..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

tred wrote: »
    I agree. But who knows whats going on in the background.

Has anyone got a map of the proposed bypass. I believe its going on the castleside, but is it coming out somewhere betweent he church and the school on oranmore road..

I saw an old draft of the plan, in total it included 9 roundabouts, 3 necessary and the other 4 were only leading into undeveloped land. Since the flooding problem was highlighted and the property collapse, i expect those 4 to be omitted.

It was crossing the Oranmore rd nearer to the corporate park.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Western501

The provision of a bypass for Claregalway will take a significant step forward next month when the route options will be presented to the four local area councillors and a public meeting will be held in the village to coincide with this.
    Members of the public will get an opportunity to examine the proposed routes after which an emerging preferred route will emerge and it is hoped that it will go to the compulsory purchase stage by late autumn.
    The public meeting is scheduled to take place on June 15th at which four possible routes for the inner relief will be put on display and the public will be encouraged to make submissions on what they see to Galway County Council.
    It is viewed as a very significant step forward in the provision of the much delayed bypass for the village-and also because of the fact that local business community were told by the previous Governent that an inner relief road would never be provided.
    Residents were told that the proposed Gort to Tuam motorway would effectively be the Claregalway bypass and this caused a lot of local anger at the time.
    But there have been considerable delays to the M17/M18 project which has, over the past six months, put the Claregalway bypass back on the agenda.
    Galway West TD Noel Grealish has welcomed the news that a presentation of the suggested routes is to be made to the four councillors in the Oranmore Electoral Area and believes that the route selection process could be concluded by the end of the summer.
    “This is part of the procedure for getting the road ready to the compulsory purchase order stage and it is another step in the right direction for this project”, Deputy Grealish added.
    The Independent TD said that the consulting engineers along with Galway County Council were also preparing to give a public presentation to the residents and the business community in Claregalway.
    “I have fought long and hard to have this relief road built around Claregalway, which has more than 30,000 vehicles passing through on a daily basis, and I am delighted that the project continues to make progress”, Deputy Grealish added.
    “I am also calling on RPS Consulting Engineers to give a public presentation to the residents and business owners in Claregalway on the route selection and I am hoping that this will take place in early June.
    “I have fought a long campaign to have this Relief Road built around Claregalway and I am delighted that the project continues to progrtess,” he said.
    “This road is even more crucial now that the company selected to construct the new M17 has run into difficulty in securing finance to construct the new motorway.
    “Given that the new M17 is unlikely to be built for many years, it is vitally important that the Claregalway inner Relief Road is constructed to give some relief to commuters, residents and business people within the village of Claregalway, which is one of the main bottlenecks along the N17,” Deputy Grealish concluded.
    by Declan Tierney, Connacht Tribune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

When the 30 day temp bridge takes >6 months, god only knows how long a bypass would take.. looking fwd to seeing the proposed roads though..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

My God, if Claregalway gets a bypass and Tuam doesn't then goodluck trying to get through Tuam, you'd be simply moving the bottleneck further North ...:(

Advertisement