Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trades men wage working in new zealand

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi lads i know that the money is not as good in nz as it is in australia but could anyone give me a rough idea what they would be on and is there much work over there.whats the best way to go about getting work over there.i am a plumber by trade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I will say this much.

NZ is in recession, there is no work in Wellington and very little in Auckland. NZ isnt rich like its neighbour Australia.

And to all those people looking at the Christchurch earthquake and thinking about coming over for jobs in the rebuilding, i would leave it a while.

The first earthquake there was in Sept 2010 and there have been aftershocks since, they expected aftershocks for 6 months after the original EQ and now they have gotten another devastating earthquake and god know when the earth will stop shaking. Therefore there will be no rush in rebuilding any time soon given that it could all fall down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm sure there are plenty of tradies in other parts of New Zealand eager to do the rebuilding work in Christ Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

There are, all the contactors and subbies from wellington and fletchers are getting loads of there Auckland subbies primed and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are plenty of tradies in other parts of New Zealand eager to do the rebuilding work in Christ Church.

Definately plenty of NZ tradies desperate for a bit of work!
    The brother is a Sparky in P-North working on commersial construction. Work is drying up, last time I had a proper chat with them back home about it he was thinking of going back to being a Dairy Hand if things didnt improve.

Still looking at the level of destruction and the need for people to have homes with the winter coming there maybe (sadly) more than enough work to go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No doubt some unscrupulous migration organisation will run a seminar in west Dublin on how NZ needs tradies to help rebuild after the earthquake, what NZ really needs is for them to pull together and look after their own first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I know that plumbers here charge $40-$60 per hour. Minimum wage as a tradesman's apprentice is $14 per hour. So I guess that's the range you'd be looking at. Hope this helps.

Advertisement