Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me decide on a HMR???

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm looking to buy a.17 HMR, been talking to a few dealers & have settled on 3 models;
    Savage 93R17 TR
    CZ 452 Varmint
    Sako Quad Synthetic Varmint
    (unfortunately funds dont allow for Anschutz)
    The Savage isn't available here yet but I like the look & it gets great reviews from the Yanks. Every dealer & owner sings the praises of CZ & they can't all be wrong. & the switch barrel Sako seems like a great idea for a multi calibre rimfire. All have they're pro's & cons for me.:confused::confused::confused:
    I'd appreciate any views & opinions on the above models.
    www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17TR
    www.sako.fi/sakoquadmodels.php?heavybarrel
    www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-varmint

Thanx,
    Lefty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Is a Marlin 917v out of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lefthooker wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I'm looking to buy a.17 HMR, been talking to a few dealers & have settled on 3 models;
    Savage 93R17 TR
    CZ 452 Varmint
    Sako Quad Synthetic Varmint
    (unfortunately funds dont allow for Anschutz)
    The Savage isn't available here yet but I like the look & it gets great reviews from the Yanks. Every dealer & owner sings the praises of CZ & they can't all be wrong. & the switch barrel Sako seems like a great idea for a multi calibre rimfire. All have they're pro's & cons for me.:confused::confused::confused:
    I'd appreciate any views & opinions on the above models.
    www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17TR
    www.sako.fi/sakoquadmodels.php?heavybarrel
    www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-varmint

Thanx,
    Lefty.

If you want 2 rifles for the price of 1, and "if" the FO is sound go Sako and have a .22lr and a .17HMR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

beanie10 wrote: »
    Is a Marlin 917v out of the question?

I've held a 917v & shot a friends VS & neither did anything for me. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the rifle but i just not getting that excited about them

If you want 2 rifles for the price of 1, and "if" the FO is sound go Sako and have a .22lr and a .17HMR

Thats the angle i was thinking along Tack. Get the HMR now & down the line sell/trade my .22lr for a .22 barrel for the quad. Or is it better to have 2 seperate rifles instead of switching barrels?

AFAIK you need a license for each barrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

buy this cost 750 you will never sell this cause you will love it

Weihrauch HW 66 - Especially developed for the hunter's target practice, but suitable for hunting as well. Well-designed and balanced with an excellent performance.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englisch/e_startseite/e_index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Thats the angle i was thinking along Tack. Get the HMR now & down the line sell/trade my .22lr for a .22 barrel for the quad. Or is it better to have 2 seperate rifles instead of switching barrels?

You need a licence for each barrel, but you can afford 1 expensive scope rather than 2 shi*e ones.
    And the Trigger and feel of the rifle will be almost identical.

It's a great concept.

(of course you can buy a .223 and never look back lol )

A .223 is not for me, jus fancy something for longer range bunnies. I realise I'd need a license for each barrel but there's not much difference in licensing 2 barrels as in licensing 2 rifles. Is there?
    Never thought i'd be considering trading my Savage MkII BTVLSS, which i luv to bits. Damn you Sako!!!!!!!

Will you need a safe?

syconerd wrote: »
    buy this cost 750 you will never sell this cause you will love it

Weihrauch HW 66 - Especially developed for the hunter's target practice, but suitable for hunting as well. Well-designed and balanced with an excellent performance.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englisch/e_startseite/e_index.htm

I had considered it but didn't give it much more thought. There's a good article on it in Febs Sporting Rifle & there was 1 for sale on Boards not so long ago i think. I could live with a right handed bolt but would rather an ambi stock.

• Advertisement

beanie10 wrote: »
    Will you need a safe?

My safe is very welcoming to new tenants:D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

You could get the cz 455 with the option of getting a second barrel later in .22lr or something . It works out a lot cheaper than the sako quad option .

Are the 455's available yet? What i'd really like CZ to do is make a synthetic varmint

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Get yourself a lefthanded CZ 452 American. If you get bored of it, you can sell it to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

There is a 6 week waiting on the cz 455 in most shops . And according to cz they say that the new 455 varmint shoots 20% tighter than the older 452 varmint ;) Plus they are switch barrel.

Get yourself a lefthanded CZ 452 American. If you get bored of it, you can sell it to me. :D

A FELLOW LEFTY?????
    I'll sell you my lefthand savage if you really want 1 bad enough;)

A FELLOW LEFTY?????

Ah, Jaysus man... Don't do this to me... I really can't afford it/will get murdered if I buy another gun. Photos? :p

Ah, Jaysus man... Don't do this to me... I really can't afford it/will get murdered if I buy another gun. Photos? :p

Haven't mastered the art of attaching photos yet, only graduated from the blackberry to decent broadband. PM me your mobile or email address if you really want to torment yourself.
    Or for a teaser www.savgearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTVS its the righthand model but you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

A FELLOW LEFTY?????

cant beat the leftys ;)

theres a few on here.
    im in the exact same situation as u for when im getting a hmr for the summer.
    id love to find a lefty one cheap enough but not looking likely. next thing is the stock that is more suitable for both without the cheekpiece's

garv123 wrote: »
    cant beat the leftys ;)

theres a few on here.
    im in the exact same situation as u for when im getting a hmr for the summer.
    id love to find a lefty one cheap enough but not looking likely. next thing is the stock that is more suitable for both without the cheekpiece's

Studies show lefty's are generally more intelligent:D
    The only lefthanded heavy barrel I know of is made by Savage but they don't come cheap. Resigned to getting an ambi stocked righthander. At least then you won't have the dealer trotting out the old "harder to shift lefthanded rifles" spiel if you go to trade up

• Advertisement

Haven't mastered the art of attaching photos yet, only graduated from the blackberry to decent broadband. PM me your mobile or email address if you really want to torment yourself.
    Or for a teaser www.savgearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTVS its the righthand model but you get the idea

PM on the way. I've had a hankering for that model alright. Will take it to email, but you can send me a hopeful price with the photos.

PM received I'll get on it tomorrow.
    Hopeful for who??? Me or you;)

PM received I'll get on it tomorrow.
    Hopeful for who??? Me or you;)

I've got no feckin' hope left, so yourself. :p I'd be more keen on a lighter sporter, like the CZ, but I'll see. Probably can't afford anything at all, but will take a look anyway.

Thats the spirit & no harm in looking:D a bit heavier than a CZ but fits like a glove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sako Quad or CZ Varmint ;)

Sako Quad or CZ Varmint ;)

Its starting to look that way. The savage is ruled out i think:( E800 a bit saucy & the end of May before the Irish importers would have 1.
    Leaning towards the Sako, anything to be aware of like serious deviation in POI after changing barrels?

Its starting to look that way. The savage is ruled out i think:( E800 a bit saucy & the end of May before the Irish importers would have 1.
    Leaning towards the Sako, anything to be aware of like serious deviation in POI after changing barrels?

which model savage was that?

which model savage was that?

www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/93R17TR

$500 converts to €800 euro by the time you get to buy it here?:eek:

• Advertisement

$500 converts to €800 euro by the time you get to buy it here?:eek:

Seemingly so. Thats the figure i was quoted from 1 very reputable local dealer or E900 for a TRR(comes with piccatinny rail type attachments) from the UK & unfortunately i don't think he's wrong. I've had 2, a Savage MkII BV cost E750 new & my current MkII BTVLSS cost E800. In contrast a CZ Varmint is listed as $480 by CZ-USA & only E500 here.

Advertisement