Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can RUGER M77 BE MODERATED

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Does anyone know if a RUGER MK11 HAWKEYE STANDARD in 220 swift can be moderated. A friend has just bought one and a gunsmith has told him the barrell is too light and in his opinion if the mod was over tightened it would do harm.Has anyone experienced this problem before.Or should he change the rifle .:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

bruskey wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a RUGER MK11 HAWKEYE STANDARD in 220 swift can be moderated. A friend has just bought one and a gunsmith has told him the barrell is too light and in his opinion if the mod was over tightened it would do harm.Has anyone experienced this problem before.Or should he change the rifle .:confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like Porkie Pies.

A narrow Barrel may need an adapter to fit the larger mods, but this is no big deal.

My mate had a mod on a sabatti that had a skinny barrel (he had and adapter ~€50 extra max)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bruskey

Cheers Tack ,but the GS was concerned there wouldnt be much barrell left when he had it cut.How would an adaptor help with that problem.

Cheers Tack ,but the GS was concerned there wouldnt be much barrell left when he had it cut.How would an adaptor help with that problem.

Very fine thread on barrel, fits into adapter which fits into moderator.

A long fine thread is almost as good as a short coarse thread

I know for a fact that there is a M77 in Ballymahon for sale with a mod on.

Sounds like the RFD just wanted to sell him something else.

If they can thread a .22lr Sporter why not a swift??

if you are still unsure ask a Gun Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

I'm not sure but if the barrel is tapered maybe if the barrel was shortened by say 4 inches, the barrel would be thicker there so could be threaded.

Failing that, he could always get a slip on moderator. Maybe mention that to the gunsmith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.....and a gunsmith has told him the barrell is too light and in his opinion if the mod was over tightened it would do harm...........
    .......the GS was concerned there wouldnt be much barrell left when he had it cut...............
    ...........Sounds like the RFD just wanted to sell him something else.

.............if you are still unsure ask a Gun Smith

Spot the deliberate mistakes :P

Not sure about the Hawkeye, which is a newer version of the M77. I had an older version in a Swift and it was threaded and it looked fine.

• Advertisement

Spot the deliberate mistakes :P

Not sure about the Hawkeye, which is a newer version of the M77. I had an older version in a Swift and it was threaded and it looked fine.

GS
    Gun smith, very good(I thought he meant gerry sc*** ;)

My mate bought a .223 Ruger tonight that has a mod on.
    Almost identical barrel to swift except chamber which does not affect mods

GS
    Gun smith, very good(I thought he meant gerry sc*** ;)........

digging-a-hole.jpg

Stop digging Tac...................give me the shovel.................:D

Well cheers lads for all your ideas and sound advice.The t8 and rifle are off to the lathe. At least its owner is happier now as he was sure he had bought a dud.Your advice put his mind at ease. Job well done.

Bruskey

Tack . I didnt imagine youd look like that . nice spade though......

Well cheers lads for all your ideas and sound advice.The t8 and rifle are off to the lathe. At least its owner is happier now as he was sure he had bought a dud.Your advice put his mind at ease. Job well done.

Bruskey

Tack . I didnt imagine youd look like that . nice spade though......

I look more like Bunny shooter
    Only Thinner, and younger :D

Glad you got sorted out.

.....Only Thinner, and younger :D.........

But not wiser :p:D

• Advertisement

But not wiser :p:D

Budwiser doesn't count :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

is it the same as this one

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8108/dsc00612fy.jpg

if so then yes it can.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1026/dsc00620y.jpg

this one is in the for sale section on here

It is indeed Paulo.My mate had some grin on his chops when he looked at that picture.We will have her up and running by the weekend. I hope the seller of that swift was joking when he said it was a flat shooter out to 300.It"ll leave my t3 hunter .223 a little red faced.But i very much doubht it.Says i hopefully!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks for the input .

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Hornady 40 grain bt zeroed @ 200y,-4"@300y:D

Advertisement