Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet revision

• 24-02-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

What ways do you find the easiest to study hamlet ?

I done it over a year ago and finding it impossible to get back into :( Have paper 2 soon aswell!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i just learn quote after quote

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I think a good way of approaching it, considering you'll always get a character question, is to make out a list of adjectives for each character (let's say Hamlet, Claudis, Laertes - the 3 I think have a good chance of coming up in the LC). Make a list of maybe 10 adjectives (so for Hamlet himself this could be: clever, noble, unscrupulous, cruel, rash, unrepentant, misogynistic, conflicted, procrastinator etc...) From each of these points, try to find 2 strong examples from the text of where he shows these qualities and give lots of quotes for each. Just to get your started, Hamlet:

Unscrupulous - 1. His murder of Polonius "thou wretched, rash, intruding fool, farewell!". Described by Gertrude as a "rash and bloody deed". Hamlet's heartless reaction shows a steely and unlikeable side to his character which alienates the audience. His heartless dismissal of Polonius as a "foolish, prating knave", combined with his disrespect for Polonius' body "I'll lug the guts into the neighbour room" consolidates this unappealing aspect of his character.

2. The callous way in which he deals with his two friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. He sends them to their death without any hint of remorse "they are not near my conscience". He manipulates Claudius' letter, intended to bring about the execution of Hamlet himself, so that it reads "He should the bearers put to sudden death, not shriving time allowed". Hamlet gives his two old friends the death sentence and makes it so they are not even given the time to make their final confession. He uses terms such as "knavery" and "sport" to justify his actions, but ultimately these conceal an abhorrent betrayal of friends.

As you can see, these adjectives can be greatly expanded on. If you make out these notes now for each important character, one is bound to come up. All you will have to do is remember the adjectives, how to expand each to 2 examples, and naturally back them up with lots and lots of quotes. This only covers revision for character questions but it should be a good start no? :D

Advertisement