Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batch Testing in Eley - April 2011

• 24-02-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

OK folks,

I have just had confirmation of the next testing date at Eley - 28th April 2011.

If anyone is interested it will cost £75.00 per barrel, and the ammo after that. As usual there will be a 5% discount on the price as it will be a minimum quantity of 5k rounds.

Drop me an email as soon as you can, if interested, as it will have to be first come, first served. Only six four places available.

sam@intershoot.co.uk

icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Stick me down Sam!!, the Bleikers should be shot in now and with it being a biggish year and I'm running low on ammo!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sam, any plans to extend this to air rifles at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭intershoot

Sparks wrote: »
    Sam, any plans to extend this to air rifles at all?

the problem with the air rifles is they generally have to go to Europe - RWS or H&N etc. For that to happen they have to be exported to me for transit, which means the rifle will have to come off your permit, and onto mine - bit (very) messy!

Lapua is the same for the rifles, which is why Eley is really the only option for batch testing without actually travelling yourself.

Sorreee!! ;)

Quick update!!!
    intershoot wrote: »
    OK folks,

I have just had confirmation of the next testing date at Eley - 28th April 2011.

If anyone is interested it will cost £75.00 per barrel, and the ammo after that. As usual there will be a 5% discount on the price as it will be a minimum quantity of 5k rounds.

Drop me an email as soon as you can, if interested, as it will have to be first come, first served. Only six four TWO places available.

sam@intershoot.co.uk

icon_e_wink.gif

the problem with the air rifles is they generally have to go to Europe - RWS or H&N etc. For that to happen they have to be exported to me for transit, which means the rifle will have to come off your permit, and onto mine - bit (very) messy!

Lapua is the same for the rifles, which is why Eley is really the only option for batch testing without actually travelling yourself.

Sorreee!! ;)
    *sigh*
    Oh well. Worth a shot (pardon the pun).
    Maybe you could do a next-best-thing and have a 'selection box' of airgun pellets (ie. one of each size - 4.48->4.52mm - from all the manufacturers you carry) as a single item to buy? That way we could at least do size testing, if not actual batch testing. I'd wager that the college clubs would be interested in that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

The actual testing part with the air rifles is (IMO) much easier, and could be done 'at home' with a Megalink, and a suitable vice/clamp.

You couldn't do that with 50m rifle as we don't have an indoor range.

The FT shooters already do this with the JSBs, in hen-houses etc at 40 yards. They buy a tin from each batch and shoot from a rest to find the best batch.

No reason the match rifle couldn't work the same. I can add the batch numbers to the site and you can shoot a tin of each (between 2/3 shooters would be even better) and then buy 10x tins of the batch that works best.

The FT guys buy a minimum 50 tins of their selected batch, but they shoot much more than the match rifle course of fire. The top guys buy 200 tins (thats 100000 pellets)

The main problem would be trying to extend it to other brands.

The UK importers for H&N / RWS won't supply a spread of batches the way JSB will - you get what they have. You can select the head size in H&N, but have to buy 100+ tins of EACH batch. To get a few different batches you'd end up buying 400 tins per head size = 1600 tins.

JSB will let me buy 50 tins per batch, making it much easier to do; again the only drawback would be the very small market. How many air rifle shooters are there on the island wanting to batch test? Its a struggle to get a dozen smallbore shooters!

It couldn't be justified, as you'd only sell 10 tins a week of them maximum.

To get a perspective of the size of the market for the wadcutters at present I have the following in stock right now (approx)

H&N Match Rifle (wadcutter) - 45 tins
    JSB Match Rifle (wadcutter) - 50 tins

H&N Field Target Trophy (domed for FT) - 200 tins
    JSB Exact (domed for FT) - 1800-2000 tins

If you MUST have H&N/RWS then its off to the factory I'm afraid :o

*sigh*
    It's a shame it's not easier but c'est le gere...
    Will have a word with some of the other AR shooters, see if they're sufficiently interested - we might ship via Geoff to keep things logistically simple, and setting up a bench vice on a table in WTSC with the megalinks should be simple enough...

Still think it's very annoying of the manufacturers to not ship single tins of selected batches to make this sort of thing easier. It's not like it's a new idea...

variety.jpg

:D

demonloop wrote: »
    If you MUST have H&N/RWS then its off to the factory I'm afraid :o
    And of course, if it turns out that RWS don't have a suitable batch, you've got to try JSB or QY...

Daunting :(

To be fair, it would be a nightmare for the manufacturers to make a 'selection pack' for testing. They could make one to determine the most suitable head size, but not the specific batch. JSB do a tin like that but it still won't pick out the batch, so it's sort of pointless.

Imagine you spend a month testing, find the perfect batch and contact them to find its all gone :o

The only way to do it is test from the retailers stock, which won't change nearly as fast.

It works great for the FT/HFT guys, usually a group of 5 or 6 test together. Keeps the cost down and saves everyone buying multiple tins.

Those guys are fanatics though, they have different batches sitting in their inventory that have tested better in windy conditions, other for still conditions, different temperatures etc etc

They might have 6-8 batches of 100 tins each, and pick one according to the weather that morning :eek:

They also weigh every pellet. Yes, every pellet. The heaviest and lightest 20% are binned, so they only use the middle 60% of a tin for competition.

I've also heard of them using a head size gauge on the remaining 60% and binning the outside %ages too.

Smallbore shooters only *think* they test ammo :rolleyes:

demonloop wrote: »
    Smallbore shooters only *think* they test ammo :rolleyes:
    Oh, delicious :D

I can think of six names off the top of my head who might be interested in testing, myself included; but how many pellets are we looking at having to commit to buy to make it worthwhile? 10k? 20k? More? Or is it just really not viable unless we go off to a World Cup as competitors and take the rifle to the factory tent? :D

• Advertisement

If you have 5/6 testers than helps reduce the cost of the test tins.

You'll only need 1 tin per batch/head size to conduct the test. There will only be 3/4 batches per head size in stock at any one time so thats 12 tins max for the testing.

If you find a suitable batch you can buy as many or as few as you like.

Probably not much point buying less than 20 tins, or you'd be back to square one in no time.

BUMP!!, any more takers??

with such an important year I cant believe the spaces havent snapped up!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Would love to, need ammo, but can't afford it. Off training pace anyway, so might be a better bet next year.

I know what you mean Dave, its all down to dosh!!:(

FLOYDSTER wrote: »
    I know what you mean Dave, its all down to dosh!!:(

New suit required over the summer too once the physical training tails off, so that's about all I can really afford I reckon. Next year, batch of ammo and a nice holiday in Munich and Milan. ;)

New suit required over the summer too once the physical training tails off, so that's about all I can really afford I reckon. Next year, batch of ammo and a nice holiday in Munich and Milan. ;)

Physical Training???

who are you, and how did you manage to log-on as It wasn't me! ??? :eek:

Physical Training???

Don't.
    Mention.
    The.
    War.

Sparks wrote: »

Holy good-jasus Sparks, if generating graphs burnt calories you'd be fading away!! :P

Physical Training???

Yeah, I have a uniquely tailored exercise regime. You take a standard weight, like so:

Guinness_pint_glass.jpg

And you keep lifting it until somehow it miraculously gets lighter. Mission accomplished. :p

Holy good-jasus Sparks, if generating graphs burnt calories you'd be fading away!! :P
    I wish.
    The weight graph involves going to a webpage and typing in the number on the scales every morning. And the heartrate and other fancy graphs come off the gym machines automatically if you wear a heartrate monitor, it's about €30-40 on ebay for a basic one (I am trying to get a fancier heartrate monitor, 'cos I've been wondering what my heartrate does in a match. That graph might be interesting).

But anyway, this is all off-topic :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have a uniquely tailored exercise regime. You take a standard weight, like so:

Guinness_pint_glass.jpg

And you keep lifting it until somehow it miraculously gets lighter. Mission accomplished. :p

Arrrrrrrrggghhhhhh...........cant stop looking at it.........luverly!!! :P

Further update!!!
    OK folks,

Drop me an email as soon as you can, if interested, as it will have to be first come, first served. Only six four TWO ONE place available.

sam@intershoot.co.uk

icon_e_wink.gif

Arrrrrrrrggghhhhhh...........cant stop looking at it.........luverly!!! :P

I know what you mean, pretty glorious alright! May have to get one presently...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MiGiD

Sorry to revive an old thread but with air scores increasing dramatically these days are we at a point that we can get together and batch test pellets?

Even to just test sizes and brands might be of use...

There's a few shooters testing pellets already AFAIK

Going to the factory isn't *quite* as essential as the 50m stuff, so should be easy enough to set up

I can think of eight or nine shooters who'd be interested right off the top of my head DL...

The sensible, and most cost effective way to proceed would be for the 'interested' parties to touch base wth the 'already-testing' parties and set something up.

Shared equipment, shared pellet batches and shared knowledge will further everyones shooting IMO

but how do we know who's who in this completely anonymous realm of boards.ie?!? Is it just going to be one big game of Cluedo?

• Advertisement

None of the 8 or 9 I can think of down here are testing already DL (well, maybe two have done so abroad, but not in the ROI). Are people testing in NI or something?

road trip!!!!

MiGiD wrote: »
    road trip!!!!

No need, the mountain will come to Mohammad ;)

Advertisement