Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meme copyright

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

The thought of meme copyrighting has come to my mind. I see a lot of t-shirts with my much beloved "F*** yea" (as in, i love him, not, he is mine!!) guy on them for sale around the net and I was just curious to know if these guys are paying any royalties or if anyone can just print them?

I'd imagine tracing the original author is pretty tricky!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I suppose you take your chances when you adopt a meme you have no real control over... case in point: http://knowyourmeme.com/blog/in-the-media/rageguy-goes-to-hot-topic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Does Richard Dawkins get copyright for coining the word meme?
    I think the very nature of what a meme is typically eliminates it from copyright, however the FU image in a particular piece of someone's, er, work.

So while you may not be able to copyright LOLcats you could potentially apply copyright to a particular photograph. I wonder could you patent them? To the patent troll cave!

Advertisement