Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Sat System? Any expert advice?

• 24-02-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a few questions. Been reading the threads on here and I have learnt a fair bit. Just need some clarity on the best setup for myself.

What I want- Freesat and analogue Terrestrial until Siorsat comes out. PVR and one week EPG.
    What I have- Sky dish and regular box, basic sky plan and a HD TV.

I am located in a remote area on the west coast, most probably in the <10% not covered by DTT.
    I am building a HTPC and will put in a good quality duel tuner DVB-S2 TV card (Blackgold BGT3595) and I want to run everything through this machine.

Can I simply unsubscribe from sky, pull out their cable and into my TV card to use their dish? And would I have to add in a power supply for the LMB somewhere?
    If so are sky LMB's single or quad, could I get two channels at the same time or run another cable to do so?
    If this plan won't work is there another solution without having to buy a set top box or another dish?
    Would I need software to decode signals or will my TV card do that for me?

As you might have guessed from my questions I am new to this and I'm running on a shoestring. I realise I will have to buy another dish for Siorsat when it comes and I cant afford one of these Wave Frontier jobies so if I could use the sky dish it would be great (I'm not concerned about the one dish rule- this is the wild west!). I should be able for any DIY work needed.

I hope you can see what I'm trying to do. Any answers, ideas, criticisms or tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys and Gals...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Diamond7 wrote: »
    Can I simply unsubscribe from sky, pull out their cable and into my TV card to use their dish?
    Yes. But I wouldn't pull the cable out, just unscrew it :D And if you've had it long enough, it's probably your dish.
    And would I have to add in a power supply for the LNB somewhere?
    No, the power comes down the cable from the receiver/tuner.
    If so are sky LNB's single or quad, could I get two channels at the same time or run another cable to do so?
    Depends on your LNB, have a look at it, you should be able to see any extra connections beside the one already connected. A quick google of "single lnb" and "quad lnb" will show you the differences. With a dual tuner like the BlackGold, you could get another LNB (if your current LNB is just a single), and run another cable to be able to be able to record, and/or run to another receiver. With a quad, you could supply both tuners on a BlackGold, and two additional receivers.
    If this plan won't work is there another solution without having to buy a set top box or another dish?
    It will work.
    Would I need software to decode signals or will my TV card do that for me?
    On a HTPC, the tuner will allow you to get the FTA channels. You have options (pay and free) as to how the channels are presented. A popular way with new builds at the moment is to use Win7 Media Center. My own cheap-ass way is to use Mediaportal on top of XP. Lots of options (inc Linux-based), and lots of info out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DVBviewer is good also.

I have 2xPCI DVB-S2 + Dual DTT USB stick.
    I think the Blackgold isn't that great. Simply quad tuner and overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Diamond7

Thanks for your help guys.

The sky dish is ours, the LNB is only single. To replace the LNB with a quad, are the brackets on the sky dish universal? Can I buy any quad LNB or what does it take to join them up? Any suggestions on a particular LNB for the job or an online shop that stands out from the crowd?
    polyfusion wrote: »

On a HTPC, the tuner will allow you to get the FTA channels. You have options (pay and free) as to how the channels are presented. A popular way with new builds at the moment is to use Win7 Media Center. My own cheap-ass way is to use Mediaportal on top of XP. Lots of options (inc Linux-based), and lots of info out there.

I'm almost certin I will use Win7 MC. Looks to be the most user frendly for the non-tech minded among us.

Quote: Watty
    DVBviewer is good also.

I checked out DVBviewer and it looks good and suprisingly cheap. I might give it a try when I'm up and running.

I have 2xPCI DVB-S2 + Dual DTT USB stick.
    I think the Blackgold isn't that great. Simply quad tuner and overpriced.

I think you might be right. Mixed reviews and some problems with the blackgold. Can't seem to find a better alternative though. Best so far is: http://www.tevii.com/Products_S480_1.asp for about £80 sterling but no analogue input.

Let me get this straight. For every channel I want to view/record I need an individual cable? So If I want to add Saorsat -when it comes- on a seperate dish I will need a quad or at least a dual LNB there too with two cables. Which means I will need 2X dual DVB-S2 tuners in order to be able to View/record any one channel on the system while Viewing/Recording another channel at the same time regardless of which dish they come from. E.g. view/rec two channels from Saorsat at the same time or view/rec two channels from Freesat at same time or one of each. Is this correct?

So if I want to add analogue for the time being I could just add it via a usb tuner- Probably the easiest option. Again would I need it to have two feeds from an ariel and the DVB-T tuner to be a dual one in order to view one channel and record another? I realise this question is veering away from satellite but I am on the verge of complete confusion?

Assuming I am correct about all of the above and my mission being to view any available channel while recording another no matter where its source. I will need :

A quad LNB with two cables from sky dish for Freesat
    A Ka band dish and quad LNB with two cables for Saorsat
    2x Dual DVB-S2 Tuners (PCI/PCI-E preferrably)
    A Dual DVB-T analogue tuner and ariel with two feeds (temporaraly until Saorsat comes).

Its gonna cost a bit more then I hoped. I guess I could cut a few corners like using a single DVB-T tuner and use the TV itself to view if recording something from analogue. Can you guys think of any other corners I can cut?

What is it like buying second hand goods here in Ireland? Recomend or warn against?

Another few questions: Will Win7 MC interface everything for me including PVR and EPG and finding and tuning in the channels or will I have to use the software included with the TV cards or third party software to achieve my goals? Will I recieve all available FTA channels with this setup and whats the story with decrypting non subscription FTV channels?

Thanks again for the help guys, Boards.ie alone has given me the confidance to do all this by myself. Please feel free to redirect me if you think some of these questions would be better off in the HTPC forum.

Advertisement