Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a tv tuner

• 24-02-2011 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

i have just bought a HP Pavillion s5770uk desktop (Win7 ,3Meg Ram)
    I would like to get a TV card to put in it.
    Are all these cards compatible with my machine?
    Do I just need to look for the specs involved in the different cards and just pick the one that looks alright -or does it make a difference what machine you are running it on? (well I assume it might be different for a Mac but I am just talking about PC s)
    And would there be any difference between the card you might have down here in the South and what you might get in the UK? .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

go with a hauppauge tv tuner with wintv software (comes with it)

its easy to install & use

www.hauppauge.com

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

that's great .thanks.

just a thought. The blurb about the HAUPPAUGE WinTV Nova-T Digital Terrestrial TV Stick in PC World specifies Graphics with 64 MBs of memory.I don't think I have a graphics card as such installed
    Anyone know how I can check whether the onboard graphics (listed in Belarc as Realtek High Definition Audio) has the 64MB required?
    (I did go to the Realtek website but couldn't track this down -maybe it isn't sold separately from the motherboards)

I am guessing that a new PC would junp that hurdle easily but I would need to be sure and would also likle to be able to check those specs on my own PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I would agree with the Hauppauge stuff.. It used to be seriously buggy years ago, but they are a LOT more stable now.. I've had two of them and both have been great.. currently using HVR1100, and it's great..

Just one question, what source will you be using.. I am only using an analog aerial, so I had to get Analog/Digital (hybrid they call it) card..

I have a satellite dish and use it with an old Sky Digibox.
    I am not sure if that is going to be of any help when Rte goes digital as I also use the old terrestrial aerial for them.
    I wonder if the usb tv tuners are as good as the tv cards that you have to open up the pc for?
    Is there any difference in the price or the performance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

geordief wrote: »
    I have a satellite dish and use it with an old Sky Digibox. I am not sure if that is going to be of any help when Rte goes digital as I also use the old terrestrial aerial for them.

Well I would recommend that if there is any possibility that you may need analog, get the hybrid. My channel scanner on WinTv goes through both analog and digital... But I'm not sure if you can use it for analog and digital concurrently
    I wonder if the usb tv tuners are as good as the tv cards that you have to open up the pc for? Is there any difference in the price or the performance?

I'm not sure about the performance or USB as opposed to PCI/PCI-E.. but there are two things about the USB from practical point of view.. 1. Being a USB device you can swop it between two machines, and also it will work with a laptop... 2. I had issues with the relatively heavy coax cable pulling the USB Tuner, and it eventually was the cause of it breaking.. :( I tried using a small extension USB cable, but it seemed to affect reception a small bit..

My advice would be... if you are only gonna use it on the one PC, go for the PCI/PCI-E version..

Advertisement