Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breath holding

• 24-02-2011 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I held my breath underwater today for 2:46 mins. I reckon that's pretty good - better than my friends anyway. How does that rate nationally / internationally? Are there any Irish records?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

freediver wrote: »
    I held my breath underwater today for 2:46 mins. I reckon that's pretty good - better than my friends anyway. How does that rate nationally / internationally? Are there any Irish records?

Nationally, I don't know.

Internationally, apparently the world record is over 19 minutes.
    So, you need to keep practising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 freediver

Good God almighty. Serious? How is that possible? Will have to change my login name now. Embarrassing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what depth where you at?

Hi Ted, I just held myself under at the local pool. I've since read a few interesting articles about real freediving on google. Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Dude dont do it in the pool on your own you will die. dont get the lifegaurd to cover you he cant. 2 things will happen 1 you will drown (sorry) and 2 we wont be allowed in pools anymore (f you) Seriously though 2.46 is good, world record is 13.35 by frenchman stephane mifsud on air. The 19mins is done breathing up on O2 before hand. My best is 5.15 but my longest dive is 2mins at 10metres and deepest was 40m. I know one other Irish guy at least who hit 50m but not in a comp. its hard to get the depth and weather together to trian properly.
    You can check us out here but please take heed of the safety issue. www.freediveireland.com or on facebook as well.
    Give me a shout if you have any questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hyperventilate for about 60-90 seconds before holding your breath, should be a big improvement in time

Hyperventilate for about 60-90 seconds before holding your breath, should be a big improvement in time
    Please do not hyperventilate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Do NOT hyperventilate!!! And never do such things alone. FFS!!!
    How to be stupid by David Blaine - video here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm not sure if you disproved your own point

7:30 - talks about hyperventilating (or purging, as he calls it)

Also any talk about breathing o2 beforehand is for the same purpose, increasing the o2 in your blood and getting rid of as much co2 as possible (which triggers breathing)

Hperventialtion does not really increase O2 but does blow off excess CO2. Its the CO2 that gives us warning signals as to how far you can safley push before blackout. Excess CO2 levels increase lower O2 metabolism, basicly making your body become better at processing both gases. You will get abetter hod by hypervetilaiting at the begining no doubt about it but with potential consequences and will stop you progressing in the long run.

• Advertisement

Did some research on it and hyperventilation doesn't seem to be the way to go.
    An Irish Freedive team took part in the World Champs a few years back aswell. I have the names of two of them and will try to get in touch to see if anything came of it.
    This breath holding lark is fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

as far as i know my old boss has the irish record but by the looks of him he dosnt compete anymore

i hope to train a bit myself once i get graduated and am living near the sea again, i could get 80 seconds in the pool there a few weeks ago without even trying so i reckon with a bit of proper direction i could seriously improve on that and that would seriously help with my surfing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Before I ditched my head under the water, I've asked few people and one of them was snorchelling instructor. 5 minutes with him scared me to death. So no stupid things from me. It is like swimming for me only. Although I spend a bit of time under water after every wipeout while surfing. Every second trying to get up feels like eternity :D

It depends on wht you are trying to do. Static ie not moving I can hold for over 5 mins but moving around underwater and burning O2 and creating Co2 my longest dive was 2 mins and that wasnt moving much just hanging at 10m. In surfing I think it the extra aquacity that helps even though i have a comfortable breath hold when you are getting tumbles and pumble its not relaxing so i still get that oh **** let me up feeling but its just that, a feeling. Just go along slowly and safely do a course as soon as you can I'd hope with me ideally obviously but really I would recommend doing one somehwere UK or further afield if you dont like me for some reason.
    Doing one in cork this weekend pool based.

Patrick MacDonald, Alan Ward and Derek Hockedy were the Irish team in 2001. Strangely enough they didn't dive too deep but still finished ahead of other noted divers because of disqualifications etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-80741.html

Give this a go, should improve your times immensely. Before I used these tables I had 3 mins static. After 7 weeks I was up to 5mins. You need to get your body used to high co2 levels and depleted o2 levels.

Hyperventilating will be a sure fire way to pass out during your dive and ensure you drown.

Advertisement