Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal for Boards

Options
  • 24-02-2011 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up a paypal account so I can buy and sell items on boards/Ebay etc easier than to date.

I registered, they take €1.50, I look at my bill for code and there is no code.

Anyone here using Paypal?
    Can people find out who you are if you sell them items or can you remain anomous.

Eg get your address, Name etc?? For security reasons a person who buys a cleaning rod does not need to know where I live.

I'm using an Ulsterbank DebitCard could this be the problem??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm trying to set up a paypal account so I can buy and sell items on boards/Ebay etc easier than to date.

Can people find out who you are if you sell them items or can you remain anomous.

Eg get your address, Name etc?? For security reasons a person who buys a cleaning rod does not need to know where I live.

All the info I seem to be able to get from people I have bought from is their username and email. I can't seem to see a name or address.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Your thread title makes it sound like your using paypal to donate to boards or buy some sort of privilages

What exactly is the problem?

Is it that you cannot purchase using paypal?

Or are you worried that someone might work out who you are via paypal (like you obsess to work out who others are)

Some more details might help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

All the info I seem to be able to get from people I have bought from is their username and email. I can't seem to see a name or address.
    same as yourself. Bought something last night and all I got was its been sent from cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hondata92 wrote: »
    Your thread title makes it sound like your using paypal to donate to boards or buy some sort of privilages

What exactly is the problem?

Is it that you cannot purchase using paypal?

Or are you worried that someone might work out who you are via paypal (like you obsess to work out who others are)

Some more details might help:)

Some Criminal wants to rob my guns, so he buys off me to see what my address is.
    The fact that I am awake all night does not help!

I also have no credit card verification number on my bill so I can't verify that PAYPAL took €1.50 as a verification test.

I'd like to buy and sell more on boards, I have too much gear and I want to thin it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Give them a bank account number and there will be a code on the transaction, is ought to have been the same with the CC transaction, try it again and failing that contact paypal themselves.
    All people will find out is your unsername and email from a transaction when you sell something but they will obviously need your address from you to post you an item when you buy something !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Hi Tac - regarding the paypal fee - I just called my bank and said that I was looking for that code on that certain transaction - they gave me the paypal code on phone.

In my experience when selling - only time personal information of the seller could be revealed when email communication takes place between the buyer and seller, but you can avoid this by using only ebay's message board for the comms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

The way it worked when i registered years ago was that paypal took out an amount, Say £1.12 and then put in another amoutn say 97p. These 2 amounts were random and then I entered them on that paypal website to complete verification.

Paypal is a great job, people cannot see your address if you are the seller. Obviously they need to know your address if you are the buyer.

Note: this is when transferring money as a 'gift'. When tranferring for goods/services the buyers address appears and a 4% handling fee is charged- but the transaction is also insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As I know you cannot remain hidden for long in the virtual world.:mad:

If people need to return any item you have sold they will need your address so you will be found out.

As was said above I see the senders address 'cos I have to be able to send the item to them I don't know if they see my address!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

yes a buyer or seller 'can ' get your details from paypal if they really want to ,the seller of course needs to know where to send whatever you buy so that is common sense BUT a buyer can get your details if they lodge a dispute over an item and request your details.!! as i have done that when a smart arse didn't even post what i had bought he was genuinely shocked when i rang him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

How long have you been waiting Tack, it can take up to 24 hours for online credit card statements to refresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    As I know you cannot remain hidden for long in the virtual world.:mad:
    See rule five :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try to simplify this.

Ulster bank debit card will work.
    It can take 3 - 5 days for the code to show up on your statement.
    In the meantime register your card with ulster online banking.
    You can check your account/card details anytime. Including the PIN verification number.
    Enter the PIN and you get your €1.50 back.

From this point PayPal act as your bank. They verify transactions and release payments for goods.
    They DO NOT release any personal info other than your e-mail and/or username where appropriate.

I have been using PayPal for years and never had any problems.

In relation to people knowing who you are. Well thats a risk you take. :D

Seriously though as mentioned above, you are nowhere near as anonymous as you think. More people will know who you are than you think. Word of mouth by other users, even your IP address, e-mail address can give away who you are if someone is determined enough.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    Try to simplify this.

Ulster bank debit card will work.
    It can take 3 - 5 days for the code to show up on your statement.
    In the meantime register your card with ulster online banking.
    You can check your account/card details anytime. Including the PIN verification number.
    Enter the PIN and you get your €1.50 back.

From this point PayPal act as your bank. They verify transactions and release payments for goods.
    They DO NOT release any personal info other than your e-mail and/or username where appropriate.

I have been using PayPal for years and never had any problems.

In relation to people knowing who you are. Well thats a risk you take. :D

Seriously though as mentioned above, you are nowhere near as anonymous as you think. More people will know who you are than you think. Word of mouth by other users, even your IP address, e-mail address can give away who you are if someone is determined enough.

I have the €1.50 showing up on Anytrime banking as a withdrawal, just no code.

I am more than aware many REGULARS on here know who I am, just concerned about the irregulars.

I also know that all details are stored on servers, some for up to 5 years:eek:

I take Landkeepers point about complaint reporting getting user details released.

Having not used paypal that I recall atleast :o
    I just wanted to know was it relatively safe to put my mind at ease.

Loads of fella's get so uptight here about identity.
    None more so than myself:o

There is a fine line between being too careful and freely giving away information that could come back to haunt you is all I am saying.

I accept that it seems to be relatively safe and reasonably protects identity

Now I just need to ring bank for code!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I did this with Paypal and all I can say is that I was charged €1.50 and written after the paypal debit on the visa was a 3/4 digit number. This allowed for me to be refunded the €1.50. It was as easy as that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I was never refunded the €1.50.
    It just credited it too me on my first purchase. Even though it said it would give it back to me. No loss either way :)

Arcto wrote: »
    I was never refunded the €1.50.
    It just credited it too me on my first purchase. Even though it said it would give it back to me. No loss either way :)

That reminds me, I may ring the bank!!

EDIT

Bank rang, it will take min of 24hours before the €1.50 will be associated with a recipient

So bloody long to set up these things

Eventually I will be able to transfer money freely

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

I would suggest using a 3v card a lot more handier then a credit card and if it gets stolen they can only use to the amount you "top up" with. i always use mine to buy stuff off ebay.

I would suggest using a 3v card a lot more handier then a credit card and if it gets stolen they can only use to the amount you "top up" with. i always use mine to buy stuff off ebay.

I have one, I don't like it.

Costs too much to use, and too hard to use and costs money to transfer balances.

I have more control with VISA Debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have used Paypal for years for a lot of transactions over the net, ebay and other sites that accecpt it, Its great as it prevents you having to put in your card details every time and reduces the possibility of someone getting hold of you card details. in relation to the 1.50 its so long ago I cant remember what happened!! You can also use paypal to pay or buy stuff by email, ie you buy someting off me through say this site, I do up a paypal invoice and email it to your paypal registered email and you click pay and the jobs a good one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bank rang, it will take min of 24hours before the €1.50 will be associated with a recipient

I'm sure I've read that somewhere before, now where was it. Oh wait it was a few posts ago when I said it :p

All credit card type statements can take 24 hours to update and heaven forbid you did it at the weekend cos it might not update until Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Paypal is a great system...Pity their policies are totally 100% anti gun ownership and shooting!:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'm sure I've read that somewhere before, now where was it. Oh wait it was a few posts ago when I said it :p

All credit card type statements can take 24 hours to update and heaven forbid you did it at the weekend cos it might not update until Tuesday morning.

24 Feb 2011 Debit Card Transaction - €1.50

NO NUMBER over 24 hours later

That is exactly what was on my statement yesterday and today

(I am familiar with online banking, as a shift worker it is the only banking I use on a regular basis)

Advertisement