Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knocked off Bike by stoopid idiot

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Hermy wrote: »
    I've reread it several times and I'm still struggling to understand how a cyclist defends there lane position when a passing motorist who's sole concern is avoiding oncoming traffic veers into said cyclists path.
    I think we're talking about two different things in that case. I completely agree that it's too late to defend your road position once the car behind is overtaking you. My point was that normally if you position yourself well on the road you get involved in a lot less of these incidents and you've got more space when they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Guys
    Just a small rant.. I was coming home after a training run of about 35 miles. I knew there was a car behind so I ride about 2" off the kerb.. This Nissan Primera (green with the LH back wheel trim missing) starts to overtake and an oncoming car approaches.. She cuts in on top of me and I am pinned between the kerb and car leaning in...... I try to gather the my balance again but the stoopid c**t brakes and I lose my balance...!

I end up on the road still in the pedals.. The stoopid c**t just drives on. A kindly group of lads come out and help me up again... Not a mark on the bike but I am black, blue and road rash

At least my bars scraped the LH rear door ...;)

Why do people use cyclists for target practice ?

Sounds like its probably another stupid driver like the ones that cant overtake a tractor thats fully in a layby without swerving into the far layby themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think we're talking about two different things in that case. I completely agree that it's too late to defend your road position once the car behind is overtaking you. My point was that normally if you position yourself well on the road you get involved in a lot less of these incidents and you've got more space when they do.

Yeah, agree with you completely. Making your presence felt on the road is the best preventative measure but if the motorist is thick then the rules of the road go out the window.:(

You know when I posted here first yesterday I was fuming because I had just had to deal with a similar incident to the op. The only difference being that I was driving my seven seater taxi! Even my not insignificant presence on the road isn't enough to deter some motorists so what chance for a cyclist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You were probably driving it like a bike... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cervelo62

Hi Fellow cyclist,

What is it with these motorist, all i hear them say is we pay road tax, and coz we cyclist dont what are we doing on the roads.
    well i to have a car and i pay for road tax.
    but unlike those ignorant motorist, who think they

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cervelo62

Hi Guys
    What is it woth these motorist, the igerant ****,
    who do the think they are, how many times have i heard them say we pay road tax, its as though that gives them the right to OWN the road,
    well for what its worth im a driving instructor and HAY !!! NEWS FLASH!!!
    cyclist have as much as right as to do pedestrians.
    so for all you motorist out there, take a driving test.
    im avaibale for lessons :D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You spelt ignorant incorrectly!:rolleyes:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

stop-sign.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

and its motor tax not road tax...not that either makes a different. Its just a generic tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Basically Op, like most of the others have said, you shouldn't really have been that close to the kerb in an ideal situation. The way I think of it is, "I'll decide when it's safe for you to overtake me." That doesn't mean I hog the road and judiciously let cars past one at a time, for the most part I cycle about a foot off the kerb and if i'm going past parked cars, I'll cycle just out of "door reach" - but when things are dangerous, I will take the middle of the lane to avoid precisely what just happened to you. If they've words about it, I'll explain what I'm doing and why, and if they want to get out and thump me i'm not adverse to giving them a thump back, as i'd rather get a thump from some weak fatty in a car than be run over, it's still less dangerous! But the point here is that you have to retain control because when you give it up, you're much more likely to end up on the tarmac. Basically be a benevolent dictator : Be kind and courteous as much as possible but when you're potentially in danger, boss things mercilessly.

Advertisement