Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer/Management Agent cold calls

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Me again :o

Just wanted to get yer ever so helpful advice on the matter.

A management agency sent me a text (obviously got my name from my ad on daft) sayin they had someone who urgently needs a house in my area.

Then yesterday I get a call from an auctioneer saying he has a lovely couple with a child who would love to have my house and all it would cost me is €700 euro.
    He would handle the xfer of bills, the 3 visits over the year and guarantee the rent for the year!
    Now I said I d meet him Monday at the house to see and talks about it further but he immediately said "Sur you can give me a key to show the couple"!
    I was a little taken back by he's presumption I was taken he's offer and said we'll see Monday.

Anyway, the question is, would it be worth it?

€700 is a lot of money to throw onto top of NPPR, PTRB, TAX, Life insurance, house insurance, BER plus the other misc crap I had to do to get it ready totaling €910 :eek: and whatever else comes up but they thoughts of him doing the work is appealing!:)

Secondly, why would anyone go to an Auctioneer/Management co. and ask them to find them a property rather than find one themselves?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

but they thoughts of him doing the work is appealing!:)

Will he do the work though? He is offering to manage the property for you, which I guess is a valid service if you don't have the time to do it yourself, but what guarantee do you have he will fill any of his "promises"?

I'm speaking as a tenant here but the last place I lived in, I spent 6 years there... It was all managed by an EA and I never met/saw the landlord. Now, I took a look at the marketing spiel of the EA for landlords and it was very similar to what you're describing here: handle the transfer of bills, 3 inspections a a year, etc. I have no idea how much the landlord was paying this guy but I transferred all bills myself and in 6 years, I only saw the EA once a year... on the lease renewal date.

To be fair though, when there was a problem I still dealt with the EA (which was again a pain) so the landlord never had to put up with my "complaints". But still, whatever the landlord was paying, he wasn't getting half the stuff promised... In the first year especially, when the EA had no real idea what I was like as a tenant, the place could've been trashed and the landlord would not know until a full year later.

Bottom line, I strongly believe you're better off managing your property yourself, it can be a pain but you'll know what's going on. With an EA, you might just be paying him to do pretty much nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Depending on the area but with the amount of properties on the market tenants don't ask EA's to find them properties. The EA may have a few similar properties in the area and can bring tenants to view them at the same time.

€700 for the year, again depends on the area and the rent. Are you getting much interest from tenants, remember it is taking between 8-14 viewings of a property to rent it at the moment, do you have the time to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I had the same prob. I had an agent bs me they had someone etc etc, I said ok, turns out they advertised my property cheaper than I had it in for, at the same time i had it on daft, and found out when someone viewed my place that they had told them it was my number they had there too.

The lesson? Well obviously a lying crooked person hell bent on getting money from me for something I was doing quite capably myself. I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Penguino wrote: »
    Are you getting much interest from tenants, remember it is taking between 8-14 viewings of a property to rent it at the moment, do you have the time to do this?

4 Tenenats called since the add went up 2 weeks ago.
    3 make an appointment to come see it and just didnt turn up
    1 lady receives RA and after much consideration I decided that system is to full of pitfalls.

Small village in Laois so was expecting as much but gonna put up poster locally this weekend to see if there's other out there who dont use the internet :D

Not going with the Auctioneer. Again the con's out way the pro's for me.

I think I can do the job properly and be a good LL, so gonna give it a shot.

Thanks for the help lads.

Advertisement