Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has DAB stalled or whats the story?

• 24-02-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

So at work the radio i have is well in a word crap. Full of static and very tempermental so was thinking of getting a DAB and seeing how that would work.

I looked online and DABIrelands website is fecked and keeps giving me errors and google isn't much more use.

Is it still being rolled out? is it nationwide (or even in my case available in Donegal) and is its reception really that different ie perfect?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

DAB radio is currently available in Dublin(and east coast), Cork and Limerick. Information including coverage map available here: http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/

Only RTÉ services are currently available (These are also available on DTT which should be available in Letterkenny with a suitable (MPEG4) Television.)

At present I would say that FM is better than DAB, both as far as choice and reception is concerned particularly mobile reception. There is also DAB+ technology available which may supersede DAB, although this is not used in Ireland at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

craoltoir wrote: »
    DAB radio is currently available in Dublin(and east coast), Cork and Limerick. Information including coverage map available here: http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/

Only RTÉ services are currently available (These are also available on DTT which should be available in Letterkenny with a suitable (MPEG4) Television.)

At present I would say that FM is better than DAB, both as far as choice and reception is concerned particularly mobile reception. There is also DAB+ technology available which may supersede DAB, although this is not used in Ireland at present.

cheers for that i guess i'll just have to stick with what i have for another while i guess!

i did find though that by adding a headphone splitter jack and using an old or dud headphones in one slot and use the other slot for your normal headphones radio reception is improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does your work building have thermal film lining on the windows? If so that plays havoc with radio reception. If you can't see into the office from outside during daylight the chances are that there is a layer of 3M film on the windows.

If not, are you sure you're using the best frequency? Check your car radio (assuming it's doing autotune with RDS) outside where you work, see what frequency it's using for your favourite radio stations, use the same frequency inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I noticed on one of those FAQ Q&As on the DAB/RTE website area it asks whether there will be an analogue switch off and it says no, both systems will live side by side for the foreseeable future.

The map shown shows the planned coverage for 2009.

The OP asks whether it has stalled.
    Has anyone more insight as to whether it is going to be rolled out in more areas.
    At the moment the West, eg Galway or, say Castlebar don't seem to be on the radar at all for DAB.

--ifc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

craoltoir wrote: »

DAB is also available through the South East region, independent of RTE (who have no DAB coverage in the SE). Total Broadcast are running a multiplex with the following stations available - 4FM, Beat, KCLR, Phantom, Radio Nova, South East, Sunshine 1068, Tipp FM, UCB Ireland, WLR FM & Zenith Classic Rock.
    DAB+ has been used on this mux over the last year and will continue to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

talkSPORT is now on the Total DAB multiplex in the South East.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

No sound on talksport

Probably testing different things at the time...it's been on the last few days anyway. :)

Its possibly interesting to list the services available on DAB in the south-east right now:

4FM
    Radio Nova
    WLR-fm
    Beat 102-103
    KCLR96FM
    Phantom
    Tipp-fm
    Sunshine
    South East Radio
    talkSPORT
    UCB Ireland
    Raidio RiRa
    Zenith Classic Rock

A good choice, I think.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

coylemj wrote: »
    Does your work building have thermal film lining on the windows? If so that plays havoc with radio reception. If you can't see into the office from outside during daylight the chances are that there is a layer of 3M film on the windows.

If not, are you sure you're using the best frequency? Check your car radio (assuming it's doing autotune with RDS) outside where you work, see what frequency it's using for your favourite radio stations, use the same frequency inside.

Is this true about the window film? My company installs this window film but never knew about this issue.

had considered getting a radio with DAB alright as the fm antenna in my apartment is disastrous.Haven't been hearing great reports about it though, seems it not really being embraced and getting thrown by the way side. not sure what to do

• Advertisement

Is this true about the window film? My company installs this window film but never knew about this issue.

Yup, you can't use a GPS (SatNav) unit either as the film on the glass absorbs the radio signals.

alinton wrote: »
    Its possibly interesting to list the services available on DAB in the south-east right now:

4FM
    Radio Nova
    WLR-fm
    Beat 102-103
    KCLR96FM
    Phantom
    Tipp-fm
    Sunshine
    South East Radio
    talkSPORT
    UCB Ireland
    Raidio RiRa
    Zenith Classic Rock

A good choice, I think.

A.

Are you sure you're picking them up on DAB?

No mention of any non-RTE stations here....

http://www.rtenl.ie/broadcast/digital-audio-broadcasting-dab.html

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are you sure you're picking them up on DAB?

No mention of any non-RTE stations here....

http://www.rtenl.ie/broadcast/digital-audio-broadcasting-dab.html
    Only available in the South East.

The service is not to be confused with RTÉ's offering.

If they got Newstalk could they get the BBC in the south east . Cant see people too bothered otherwise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yup, you can't use a GPS (SatNav) unit either as the film on the glass absorbs the radio signals.

using GPS indoors?Must be a fairly big office! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Letterkenny can get the BBC services on DAB but it may be only the higher points in the town. It appears to be right on the fringe of reception. However, DAB radio sets in my experience vary widely in what they'll actually pick up signal wise. One radio will do the job when the next will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

decies wrote: »
    If they got Newstalk could they get the BBC in the south east . Cant see people too bothered otherwise .

What is the outright obsession people have with getting BBC on DAB here?

It isn't going to happen. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Perhaps people like listening to BBC radio programs and would like the option of being able to listen to them at work or when going around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get a Roberts Internet radio. All the stations around the world using wifi or a broadband connector . Simple and sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Firetrap wrote: »
    Perhaps people like listening to BBC radio programs and would like the option of being able to listen to them at work or when going around?

Yes but you're not paying a British licence fee so you're NEVER going to receive BBC DAB stations in the Republic of Ireland. It costs a fortune to broadcast on DAB and the BBC would have to use Irish multiplexes - why should they spend BRITISH licence payers money on Irish listeners who they are under absolutely no obligation to provide radio or television services to?

• Advertisement

Why does it seem like RTE don't give two hoots about DAB?

I can't recall ever seeing any type of advertising of RTE's DAB stations and they've been around for a few years now.

I was particularly shocked to learn that RTE 2XM staff (and presumably staff on the other DAB stations) are unpaid - although it explains the often ramshackle production and presentation of some of the shows i've heard on what could be a great little station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Yes but you're not paying a British licence fee so you're NEVER going to receive BBC DAB stations in the Republic of Ireland. It costs a fortune to broadcast on DAB and the BBC would have to use Irish multiplexes - why should they spend BRITISH licence payers money on Irish listeners who they are under absolutely no obligation to provide radio or television services to?

We listen to BBC radio on our internet radio everyday. No problem. What is the difference between DAB and internet radio?

We listen to BBC radio on our internet radio everyday. No problem. What is the difference between DAB and internet radio?

Tens of millions of pounds.

Can people actually mention dab / BBC/ Ireland without others getting excited about it on here. Nobody knows what the future holds regarding dab in this country, I never thought I would see the day that Newstalk would be available on dab in waterford, I emailed the people who provide that service and they did say BBC would be problematic . One thinks for sure is that the current dab offering wouldn't encourage anybody to rush out and buy a receiver. Decies BBC radio lover :-)

talkSPORT, not Newstalk.

You must bear in mind that the Total Broadcast DAB multiplex is a technical trial, not a launched service for the public.

So, with respect, what the public want to listen to on it is irrelevant.

A.

Yes talksport and yes it's a trail so up to comreg etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Get a Roberts Internet radio. All the stations around the world using wifi or a broadband connector . Simple and sweet.

Not an option in work.

@eth0_ I wasn't saying I wanted the BBC on DAB. Just explaining why people might want it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd be quite content with RTE digital stations on the internet radio, were it not for the below-par bitrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

Get an internet radio. All the stations around the world using wifi or a broadband connector.
    Firetrap wrote: »
    Not an option in work.

or perhaps an iPhone?

With the pervasiveness of 3G and soon 4G / WiMax I suspect DAB is a dead duck for most countries apart from the UK. And there's Astra and UPC too.
    Certainly at home I'd go for an internet radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Online is where it's at now, there is infinitely more choice on the Wunderadio app then there is on DAB in Ireland or the UK, and those on DAB are also online so the choice is obvious.

I don't like the idea of the State having so much control over the radio airwaves, what would the pirates do if FM was to be deserted by RTE and all the commercials in favour of DAB?

At least pirates can thrive and survive online, unlike DAB where they wouldn't get a look-in due to the technology that's used and the State control.

alinton wrote: »

4FM
    Radio Nova
    WLR-fm
    Beat 102-103
    KCLR96FM
    Phantom
    Tipp-fm
    Sunshine
    South East Radio
    talkSPORT
    UCB Ireland
    Raidio RiRa
    Zenith Classic Rock

A good choice, I think.

A.

Raidió Rí-Rá ceased on the multiplex just over a week ago and has been replaced by RTE 2XM!! 80k DAB+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

I think with the pervasiveness of smart phones now that there isn't really a big need for a DAB radio. Speaking for the iPhone I can get BBC or any other station I like on apps like Tuner or TuneIn Radio.

The big drawback is the reception and your data cap if you're out and about but hopefuly that will change.

Right now the speakers on those devices too are getting better and better so it's even getting to be enjoyable to listen to them without needing to resort to earphones!

I'd say by the time DAB is completely rolled out here (if it will ever be) then it actually won't really matter anymore as Internet radio will have passed it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Also the new Soarview service includes 11 RTE radio stations; the 4 primary stations, available on FM, and the 7 digital only stations, available on DAB:
    http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/digital-radio-channels/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have UPC and internet radio is constantly buffering. To the point where its unusable most of the time. I don't think the infrastructure is there yet for internet radio. Not to meantion the mobile data costs are increasing as providers lower their cap on their price plans. Or that they don't have robust controls for limiting usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I agree I'm not keen on Internet radio either for similar reasons. Much prefer to listen to FM or on satellite via the telly. Then the reception is perfect and it doesn't slow down the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

DAB = Dead And Buried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I don't understand why the standard must be DAB. Why not settle on a system like Sirius in the US?

Advertisement