Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monster Sky-Trap

• 24-02-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

anyone have any experience with these things?

basically you build a large square building up in the sky. how big and tall is up to you but it has to be high enough so that monsters fall to their deaths when they do.

once the place is done put a hole in the middle and then have some type of water system to push the monsters into the hole and then they can fall out of it and die. making you loads of resources in the process.

i have one built on my single player so i can throw up some screnshots later, but if anyone has any experience with it and can improve on the design please comment.

here is a link to one you can download and try out for yourself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I saw a perfect one made recently, it killed everything.

Had water to pull the monsters in and cactus to kill them, I'll try find the video of it I was watching of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How do you get the monsters there? Or do they just spawn at night?

they spawn in dark caves at night, so if you build it, and then build a giant cave near it, a ton of them should spawn in there and come for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I saw a perfect one made recently, it killed everything.

Had water to pull the monsters in and cactus to kill them, I'll try find the video of it I was watching of it.

only problem with the cactus is that it destroys anything touching it.
    Tallon wrote: »
    How do you get the monsters there? Or do they just spawn at night?

the inside of the spawner has no torches and no light. perfect place for monsters. then they can spawn during the night and day.

What about a trap that drowns all of them??

• Advertisement

i did creat one once on an old server a few months back. if i can find it or build it i'll throw it in here.

this is the monster drowning machine. its pretty cool and easy enough to make. not too sure how effective it would be though if you werent in it at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

here's a few pictures from my own skytrap. very basic but it does the job.

Outside the skytrap:
    outsidemst.png

Underneath:
    underneathmst.png

Inside: (i am pressed up against the side walls and the small torch just up and right of the crosshair is the centre.)insidemst.png

Top: (just to show you how large it is)
    topmst.png

was going to put in a pic of the loot so far but imageshack is being a bastard.

i have had it on normal difficulty for the past 30 minutes and already i have 2 piles of bones, feathers. i pile of string, gunpowder and arrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jogue

These devices are never really that efficient though?
    Unless you watch them properly, the items just despawn after a short while.
    It'd be much faster to just farm them quickly! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Wezo1994

nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MunkyzRus

I was wanting to make one for the last week i just havent had the time! gonna have a good go at making one, but surely (as Jogue says) the monsters will not spawn unless ur near? making it that you will have to stand there for the whole night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 whiteboii

ya mine was kinda like yours with water but i put some cactus around some of the water so it can kill it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fisheh

my skytrap failed on me! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SS30888

I like moat/lava traps the most :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HiipFire

Just make sure you do your homework when your making it.

MunkyzRus wrote: »
    I was wanting to make one for the last week i just havent had the time! gonna have a good go at making one, but surely (as Jogue says) the monsters will not spawn unless ur near? making it that you will have to stand there for the whole night?

havent found it to be so. but i made it very close to my main base so i am always wandering around or near it and i have it set to hard so i can gather as much resources as i can. i'm going to have a go at the drowning trap later and see if it actually works. and if it does work how well and how many resources i get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Orichalcum93

I tried to make one before with cacti...... It uh.... didn't go well for me... I still have nightmares :p

I know i'm reviving an old thread here but has anyone seen or built an exp grinder? are they the same thing or is there a different feature to them that allows you to gain XP from the mobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Well if you wanted to go mad you could always use MCedit to change a few chunks to glass or slabs, then build your monster tower on there. The mobs won't be able to spawn on the glass/slabs obviously which will give you a much better chance of having the mobs spawning inside the tower which you could make with loads of floors completely unlit.
    Just remember to make it out of obsidian or something if you're planning on maintenance so it doesn't get blown to bits :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

XP grinders can't kill mobs, only damage them to within an inch of their life. YOU have to land the killing blow to make the EXP drop!!

As of 1.9 spiders have 16HP and zombies have 22HP, making things difficult; swords wear out fast and even if the bottom of the funnel is 19 blocks above the killing chamber spiders will die while zombies will still have 3HP left, making unarmed killing slower.

As of 1.0 creepers have no hitbox in their lower half to make mobfarm-based XP grinders very difficult to operate as you can't just nobble everything's kneecaps anymore (F***ing Notch!!).

Due to these issues XP grinders are an utter pain in the tits in 1.0. The best XP grinder remains compression farming with cows - slower and needs TONS of wheat but nowhere near as lethal :p Second place goes to ultra-concentrated chicken farms - very simple, just have 100 of them lay stacks of eggs then slaughter a load of them while firing eggs. No mobs, no pistons, no mess ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

I have one that works quite well. You can see it in this video. The one problem is you have to find a skeleton or zombie spawner to make it.
    Here's the video;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0zzjokkVQ8

Advertisement