Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference from current landlord

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on moving apartments. An apartment has just come up that would be suitable but they are looking for a little more than I want to offer. The agent said she would convince the landlord to accept since I am paying a deposit up front and can provide references.

I am a little concern at asking my current landlord for a reference since he does not know we are moving out yet and since we do not even know that the new landlord will accept out offer. It might be a few weeks or even a few months before we move out if this apartment does not go ahead.

What do people normally do in these situations? i.e. should I just go ahead and ask for the reference? do I mention that it is for an apartment I am hoping to get or what should I say?

We are in the current apartment for 1 year. Do I need a reference for the place we were before this also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Im not even sure why you are asking this question because you clearly havent even thought your situation through properly.

if you havent handed in notice where your living why are you even bothering to look elsewhere. Do you honestly think landlords are going to sit around for a month or whatever your notice period is for you to move into their accomadation ?

if your going to move out give your notice ask for a reference and then go looking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

D3PO wrote: »
    Im not even sure why you are asking this question because you clearly havent even thought your situation through properly.

if you havent handed in notice where your living why are you even bothering to look elsewhere. Do you honestly think landlords are going to sit around for a month or whatever your notice period is for you to move into their accomadation ?

if your going to move out give your notice ask for a reference and then go looking
    I have to disagree
    The OP came here for specific advice not a lecture.
    Some tennants like to look around for a long time before choosing.
    Some are even willing to take a hit on a months rent.
    Some landlords are willing to meet the tennant in the middle and hold it for 2 weeks.
    OP why don't you call the agent and ask exactly what they would like in detail so there is no confusion.
    Good Luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

D3PO wrote: »
    Yes, they have already agreed to wait 3 weeks and reduce the rent but not as much as I wanted. The agent said she should be able to get the landlord to agree to the amount I said. I then give my current landlord 4 weeks notice (as per the landlord) and take a 1 week hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ended up ringing the landlord and just asking for a reference but didnt say why so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

axer wrote: »
    Ended up ringing the landlord and just asking for a reference but didnt say why so no issue there.
    If you have been a good tenant its usually not a problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement