Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built PC, CPU overheating. Too much thermal paste?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So, I'm building my friend's PC. However, it heats up to 70c quite quickly. I first thought I'd fix this by putting on more thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) but it still overheats.

What should I do? Remove the thermal paste and only put on a really (i.e. see-through) thin layer this time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Ok I fixed the overheating problem, but now I don't get any display from the PC at all.

EDIT: Ugh, CPU overheating still there, I think I put on too little this time.

EDI2: Did the tint+dot method, seems to be working now, idles at 44-52, although it seems to be rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

What type of heat sink, case and thermal paste are you using? What's the processor and clock speed?

Be sure to clean both the surface of the sink and processor thoroughly before reapplying the paste. If it's a tower heat pipe job, ensure the fan is pushing air through it, not attempting to pull from the other side.

seyeM wrote: »
    What type of heat sink, case and thermal paste are you using? What's the processor and clock speed?

Be sure to clean both the surface of the sink and processor thoroughly before reapplying the paste. If it's a tower heat pipe job, ensure the fan is pushing air through it, not attempting to pull from the other side.

I got it now (I hope), I cleaned it, then tinted + dotted it, seems to be working now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need very little thermal paste, the size of 2 grains of rice is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

What cooler is it? Are you sure that it was mounted correctly. Marginally too much or too little paste will not cause it to overheat drastically, more like a couple of degrees. 70 at idle sounds like it's not mounted correctly. 44-52 is still rather high for idle.

• Advertisement

Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2

By Idle I mean BIOS readout.

CPU and clockspeed?

CPU and clockspeed?

Phenom II X4 965 Stock Clocked (Can't remember default speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

Ok I fixed the overheating problem, but now I don't get any display from the PC at all.

EDIT: Ugh, CPU overheating still there, I think I put on too little this time.

EDI2: Did the tint+dot method, seems to be working now, idles at 44-52, although it seems to be rising.

44-52 is still very high mine idles at 28-30 I used the pea size method when I did mine check you havent accidently bent any of the cpu pins as this can cause high temps

nc43 wrote: »
    44-52 is still very high mine idles at 28-30 I used the pea size method when I did mine check you havent accidently bent any of the cpu pins as this can cause high temps

Yeah, they are all straight. When I get home, I will re-do the tinting and dotting, making sure to do it 100% perfectly right this time.

Ugh, this build is giving me more problems than my first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

what your volts(vcore)? Have you checked that?

dwighet wrote: »
    what your volts(vcore)? Have you checked that?

It was either 1.28 or 1.35, I'll check when I get home and report back (after T+D)

Just read that you are usig AS5. That takes a long time to cure. >100 hours. Sub-optimal temps are to be expected for a few weeks.

It''s at 37c right now, seems to be fixed (only been at BIOS for 5 minutes though).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sounds like incorrect mounting. An AC7Pro should keep a stock X4-965BE a lot cooler than the stock HSF!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

It was either 1.28 or 1.35, I'll check when I get home and report back (after T+D)

im no expert here but maybe try dropping the voltage(vcore) to 1.2 if you are running stock speed..... see how that goes....1.28/1.35 seems a tad high..

Solitaire wrote: »
    Sounds like incorrect mounting. An AC7Pro should keep a stock X4-965BE a lot cooler than the stock HSF!

While re-dotting it I made sure the heatsink was as securely fastened as possible without being overtightened. Seems to have done the trick :)
    dwighet wrote: »
    im no expert here but maybe try dropping the voltage(vcore) to 1.2 if you are running stock speed..... see how that goes....1.28/1.35 seems a tad high..

Sure 1.35 was stock (I think) for my Phenom II X2 550, I plan on overclocking the 965 for him anyway.

It's been on Prime95 for the past hour or so, max of 64C.

What's the thermal shut-off for a 965? 70C? If so, I may leave it at stock but undervolt it slightly.

Eh, Speedfan is a bit messed up with everything but core temps, the voltages are all over the place, it says Vcore 1 and Vcore 2 are at 4v nearly D:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ugh. Mustn't like the mobo sensors :o

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Ugh. Mustn't like the mobo sensors :o

CoreTemp displays VID at 1.325, which sounds just about right.

Advertisement