Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawn fertilizer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

X1R wrote: »
    For 10/10/20, you should still be paying around the €25 euro mark.
    Yes Farringtons have gone to the wall unfortunatly.
    Stay away from Woodies and the like, your local agri supplier is working off smaller margins and therefore that little bit cheaper.

any idea of where to go around north wicklow, bray, south dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Quinns in Naas do all the Fertilizers too. I get a 50KG bag every year along with a small bottle of Clover Kill (kills all weeds, dont mind the name). Far far far better than weed/feed, lush green grass weed free every year, and my garden is very wet so it struggles with growth without fert..

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

jrby wrote: »
    any idea of where to go around north wicklow, bray, south dublin area?

Sorry, Quinns are also in Baltinglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Excellent thread.am about to feeding lawn but am worried also 'feed the weeds' ! Does 10-10-20 and the likes promote weed growth.mad a dandelion infestation last year!
    Is there something that I should include with fertiliser as I'm putting it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You can get a feed and weed product. Evergreen complete is one that I've used before.
    Or you can dig them out by hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

X1R wrote: »
    I work in an agri store/ CoOp,
    Here are some handy guides:
    GRANLIME: Excellent for rejuvinating older lawns early in the year. No major growth aid, just soil conditioning from over fertilization.

7/6/17+S: Actually a potato fertilizer but it is a perfect mix for lawns, not to high in notrogen, so a nice progressive groth spell. High in potash, which is great for lush green grass. The (S) is sulpher, this wil actually kill off moss. BE WARNED, SULPHER IS VERY harsh on pets paws !!!!

10/10/20: Excellent for lawns that need a boost, once you dont mind mowing more regularly during spells of good growth.

18/6/12: very high in Nitrogen, so a good growth spurt. Not ideal as you will notice the difference in the amount of mowing you do.

UREA: STAY AWAY !!!! You will hear, never mind see the grass growing. If you want to play a prank on someone, this is the stuff to see a neighbour suffer :).

Some of you will know that fertilizer prices have rocketed up this year. You will be paying a far higher price (roughly €100 per tonne more).

Hope this helps.

Jonathan.

Great post. Thanks Jonathan

Can you give us an idea on prices of the above bags (I think they are 50kg bags?)

I noticed the increase big style as last year I bought 10-10-20 for about 17€, a month ago I paid almost 25€ - why the big increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Quick question on this topic.

I got a box of lawn conditioner. It says to use it after cutting for best results. Do I specifically need to cut the grass first or is it just so you're not cutting after?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Paid 25euro for a bag of 7/6/17+s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Salmonman wrote: »
    Paid 25euro for a bag of 7/6/17+s

Same
    €50 for 2 bags of 10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Diluted wee is free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

redser7 wrote: »
    You can get a feed and weed product. Evergreen complete is one that I've used before.
    Or you can dig them out by hand.

does that contain grass seed?? or do i have to apply that separately once i've raked away the dead moss??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Great thread, the fertiliser containing sulphur is supposed to be bad for pets feet, do you know how long you would have to keep them off the lawn after application?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oddsandends

Chemical fertilisers are the worst thing you can put on your lawn - you are only making your soil more acidic and killing the life in your soil (worms, bugs etc). There is a new product on the market that i saw in Bloom called Soil Renew - this basically works on the soil and the soil in turn looks after the grass etc. If you google them you will get onto their website and see what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

You are right oddsandends, chemical fertiliser is harsh but if used correctly it is excellent for purpose. Ideally well rotted farmyard manure is the most natural and organic way of looking after your lawn but I cant really see people dumping wheelbarrow fulls of that on their lawn in November and leaving ot there till March !!!

From what i recall a small box of that Soil Renew has the same amount of organic matter as 1 ton of farmyard manure and you spread it on top of the ground and let the rain wash it in - it could not be easier :-) I bought it at the show and cant wait to see the difference in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

From what i recall a small box of that Soil Renew has the same amount of organic matter as 1 ton of farmyard manure and you spread it on top of the ground and let the rain wash it in - it could not be easier :-) I bought it at the show and cant wait to see the difference in the next few months
    How much is Soil Renew? Interesting product.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

I know of a more cost saving method of lawn fertilizer, may sound a bit eccentric but what the hell, go out and take a dump on it and urinate on it when necessary, the protein content in urine is extremely good for the soil and hence grass growth

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HastyGarden

Hi all - does Soil Renew get rid of thatch in lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely not. Thatch needs to be scarification or raking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kaiserrussel

what order do you apply these? assume its kill weeds then apply fert?

Advertisement