Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJB

Options
  • 24-02-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Heard someone saying that JJB was in trouble & might be pulling out, anyone else heard this? Hopefully just a rumour but in these times & so many gyms in Dundalk wouldn't be surprised.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I was under the impression that the Gym and Soccer Dome was already disposed of to local ownership and that it's just the shop upstairs that will be closing.

All the JJB logos etc. have more or less been stripped from the Soccer Dome at least.

I hope the soccer dome isn't going under cos the feckers just got a 60 euro deposit for a block booking from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 higgins2010

I think is JJB sports global that has decided to close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I'll try and find out more on this.

As I understand it:

1. Gym & shop are owned by the one company.
    2. Ice dome was owned by another.
    3. Soccer Dome is owned by some from the central counties afaik.

Now JJB used to be a big chain of gyms and shops and a few years back the owner sold.

He then bought back the gyms but only those in N. Ireland and UK mainland and rebranded them to DW Fitness.

Now it might also be the case that the Irish shops and gyms were spun off to another company.

I'll be very annoyed if they close down having just spent some money renewing for a year.

A shame if they do close down as the equipment and facilities are decent.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25163&id=132973543395659#!/pages/JJB-Fitness-Club-Dundalk/153010228078316?v=wall

Now I shall have to find out the list and it also is still not a guarantee that nothing will happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

The Guvnor wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25163&id=132973543395659#!/pages/JJB-Fitness-Club-Dundalk/153010228078316?v=wall

Now I shall have to find out the list and it also is still not a guarantee that nothing will happen in the future.

Guvnor,

If you find the list will you post it please

• Advertisement

Hi Invpat,

Might be hard to get the list as I believe it is an internal document.

It's positive for the time being but that does not mean it could not all change in a few months.

I did not know the Irish shops and two gyms were part of a 253 chain group of shops.

One would assume the gym is profitable but to what margin.

If they have 3000 members and each is paying somewhere in the order of 300 euro per year on average that's a t/o of €900k.

That is really not a lot when you consider the staff numbers - easily 20 x 40 hrs per week - staff costs of what €450k p.a. - add in insurance, rates, rent, upkeep, heating - this could easily add €300-350k p.a.

I do think the gym is profitable but with the building as it is - with shop, soccer dome and ice dome it is hard to really look at the gym in isolation - maybe it subsidises the shop or viceversa.

Basically if one goes the other will follow!

Hope it stays as it is imo the best place in the area - I much prefer it to Felda.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭invpat

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Hi Invpat,

Might be hard to get the list as I believe it is an internal document.

It's positive for the time being but that does not mean it could not all change in a few months.

I did not know the Irish shops and two gyms were part of a 253 chain group of shops.

One would assume the gym is profitable but to what margin.

If they have 3000 members and each is paying somewhere in the order of 300 euro per year on average that's a t/o of €900k.

That is really not a lot when you consider the staff numbers - easily 20 x 40 hrs per week - staff costs of what €450k p.a. - add in insurance, rates, rent, upkeep, heating - this could easily add €300-350k p.a.

I do think the gym is profitable but with the building as it is - with shop, soccer dome and ice dome it is hard to really look at the gym in isolation - maybe it subsidises the shop or viceversa.

Basically if one goes the other will follow!

Hope it stays as it is imo the best place in the area - I much prefer it to Felda.

Tks Guvnor

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I received a letter from the liquidator, KPMG, today stating that the fitness club is closing as of tonight. A buyer for the place wasn't found within the specified period and so they cannot fulfill purchased memberships.

There were rumours that the company was in trouble, but it would have been nice for them to say how bad the situation was when I was signing up. Only did so in late August so, meaning that I got 2 of my 6 month subscription. What's worse, though, is that a lady in front of me in the queue on Saturday was buying a new family membership. There's not much chance of her, or anyone, recouping their money via creditor claim in the liquidation process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mirrorb4ll

yeah i got a similar letter. mate of mine signed up only yesterday (only 1 month so not too bad) too so they were taking new members right up til the end.

i was talking to a staff member last week and she said that they had received 4 offers to buy the business by the midnight deadline the previous night. wonder what happened to all of that. was she being lied to by management? was there any offers at all?

really sucks...gonna have to find a new gym now. would go back to felda but they have the worst dumbbell selection ever. all mismatched, disorganised, jumps in weight from 30 straight to 35kg to 40kg with nothing in between, half the dumbbells you cant tell what weight they are because its scratched off, etc.

Not interested in any cardio machines and rows of treadmills or classes. just want good free weights, squat racks, and a couple decent machines, cable station, etc. Think i'll check out The Gym on the avenue rd. where else is there around town does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Mirrorb4ll wrote: »
    yeah i got a similar letter. mate of mine signed up only yesterday (only 1 month so not too bad) too so they were taking new members right up til the end.

i was talking to a staff member last week and she said that they had received 4 offers to buy the business by the midnight deadline the previous night. wonder what happened to all of that. was she being lied to by management? was there any offers at all?

really sucks...gonna have to find a new gym now. would go back to felda but they have the worst dumbbell selection ever. all mismatched, disorganised, jumps in weight from 30 straight to 35kg to 40kg with nothing in between, half the dumbbells you cant tell what weight they are because its scratched off, etc.

Not interested in any cardio machines and rows of treadmills or classes. just want good free weights, squat racks, and a couple decent machines, cable station, etc. Think i'll check out The Gym on the avenue rd. where else is there around town does anybody know?

Is the guy in J-Life a weightlifter?? Think he is,they have moved to McEvoys building,entrance from the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Mirrorb4ll wrote: »

The strong room on the Coes road might suit you
    www.strongroom.ie or maybe the aura gym and pool beside the county council offices

Aura would be very poor for weights.

They are a family leisure centre and the gym is imo very small and cramped and as for weights -not a lot.

Bad to hear that Felda is so poor on the db's.

I never got a letter - can one of you pm me the gist of what was in it?

Gyms in the are AFAIK:

AURA
    Strongroom
    Felda
    J-Life
    The Gym

Newry
    New-Tech
    Bulls Gym
    Reflex

If you want weights in Dundalk then either The Gym/Mickey Rogers or Strongroom would be good, Felda should have decent weights even if db's are a bit suspect and light.

Strogroom will increase their db's if people do require them...I think Felda and Strongroom top out at 40kg and The Gym do so at 65kg.

JJB was 50kg.

I had 8 months left to run on a yearly membership - optimist here!

Prices of others €300 for the year.

Just to update this thread.

I joined Felda tonight and it's not bad a bit busy and the free weights area is cramped too much equipment for the space imo and the ettiquette is poor re: keeping the place neat or putting plates back etc.

The pool is a plus which I endeavour to use.

On another note I heard and it appears solid and credible that DKIT have bought the whole JJB complex and that this will re-open in February.

Pleasant surprise when i walked in to Felda today. New benches, about 5 or 6 i think and a new rack full of dumbbells. They go up in 2.5kg increments which is odd but in addition to the old ones they do give a little more in terms of options. They seem pretty good quality too. I think there's also a new power rack although i haven't used it yet. There's much more space in the benches area and some of the machines have been moved closer together but thats no big deal - more space in the bench area is far more preferable.

The entire length of dumb bell racks were painted too so all the markings for dumbbell order placement are gone so its back to a jumbled mess. Hopefully this is only temporary and they paint increment markings on the racks again.

Pleasant surprise to say the least. My membership expires in March and i was pretty sure i would be making the move to The Gym on the Avenue Rd but i'm having second thoughts now. Might just stay in Felda.

Yes BUT the major fcuk up and the expletive was necessary with their benches is the lack of adjustment at the front.

I used the Alex bells last night.

If the odd bench had an adjustable front seat pad I would be happy.

What times do you be in?

You'll notice me unfortunately as the twat with too many bags in the gym - full of accessories like chalk, fat gripz, bands, belts, wraps, neoprene wraps etc.

Do say hello and feel free to remind me of being a twat! :D

I noticed the power rack last night and was not sure if it was new of there all along as I have been to the place a mere 6 times so far!

Yeah the lack of adjustment on the front pad is a pain. I still way prefer them over the green benches though. Now those things are awkward as f**k.

I train around 11am most days. I'll keep an eye out for you - shouldnt be too hard to spot with all the accessories ;)

By the way has anyone said anything to you about using chalk? I'm going to start deadlifting again soon after taking a break from it for a few months and plan on using chalk. Haven't seen anyone else using it (or deadlifting at all really). I know some gyms dont like it but i guess i'll find out once i start.

Hey Mirror,

I asked about ordinary chalk when getting the tour was told no issue.

I am using atm some liquid grip and to be fair I am trialling it and its not half bad - sticky and goes white but no dust so seems good.

They have a proper cage in there now so cannot see why they'd have an issue with some chalk unless tossing it like the sumo guys do salt! :D

Ah nice one, thats good to know. I have the liquid chalk too, it's good stuff. Way less messy

• Advertisement

I agree but from time to time I like the mess and tbh liquid chalk is not yet used in the Olympics for weightlifting - don't if that is a time factor or they feel its not as good?

Advertisement