Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council get tough on illegal parkers.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

If tax dodgers can be named & shamed, why then can't these group?
    No difference as far as I'm concerned!

What are they dodging???
    They rightfully choose not to contract with the council for the service provided ie . parking 'no contract no liability'
    If you choose to pay then the council could be liable if your motor gets damaged or stolen while parked on the streets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Hoffmans wrote: »
    What are they dodging???
    They rightfully choose not to contract with the council for the service provided ie . parking 'no contract no liability'
    If you choose to pay then the council could be liable if your motor gets damaged or stolen while parked on the streets..

Absolutely spot on.

Great point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

newportwex wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on.

Great point.

Local Authorities issue bye-laws which govern parking, and most will employ parking wardens to enforce them (as can the guards). You can write whatever you want on the ticket, and do whatever you want with it, but as long as those bye-laws are correctly drafted I doubt it will do you any good in the long run.

I believe the "no contract entered into" argument is only applicable when parking on private land, and even then I've only seen test cases from the UK.

As far as I am aware neither the Local Authority nor a private parking operator has any liability for your vehicle unless they themselves or their agent somehow damage it.

Personally I'd be in favour of a 15-minute grace period of free parking, but sadly it's inevitable that any such spaces would be parked in all day.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Where do you appeal to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

waterford city council office over waterford crystal,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When u think about it parking fee's is very anti business. I rarely go to town because of these fees. I only end up going when i have to. Shops would do more business if their was no parking fees. (wonder if im the only person who thinks like this but i bet not)

Stuipd parking ya tow them away.. but charging the crazy parking fee's + we all ready have high petrol/roadtax/insurance/NCT on our cars + we pay crazy VRT rates when we first get our cars.. & not to mention the ****y public transport if you dont happen to live in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

BadCharlie wrote: »
    When u think about it parking fee's is very anti business. I rarely go to town because of these fees. I only end up going when i have to. Shops would do more business if their was no parking fees. (wonder if im the only person who thinks like this but i bet not)

Stuipd parking ya tow them away.. but charging the crazy parking fee's + we all ready have high petrol/roadtax/insurance/NCT on our cars + we pay crazy VRT rates when we first get our cars.. & not to mention the ****y public transport if you dont happen to live in town.

I heartily agree. Business is the only one who really suffers. There is no browsing done when rushing back to your car. Also I have often not stopped because of lack of change and unwillingness of local business to give it without purchase. And all you read about is businesses folding and moaning that no one goes into town anymore to shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

newportwex wrote: »
    Haha not a hope bucko, this is all hot air from the council, they're all talk no action. Don't be jealous just cos i've the guts to beat the system...
    Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

200motels wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

Thanks bro, glad to see there's a few supporters out there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BadCharlie wrote: »
    When u think about it parking fee's is very anti business. I rarely go to town because of these fees. I only end up going when i have to. Shops would do more business if their was no parking fees.
    Not quite. Any thing that is free or under-priced tends to be misused.

If there was no parking fees, all the parking spaces would be taken up by commuters, thereby preventing business users and shoppers from accessing the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Humans eh! wrote: »
    I heartily agree. Business is the only one who really suffers. There is no browsing done when rushing back to your car. Also I have often not stopped because of lack of change and unwillingness of local business to give it without purchase. And all you read about is businesses folding and moaning that no one goes into town anymore to shop.

Agreed. If I have the misfortune to have to park up in town at a WCC run parking spot, I'll always be rushing back to make sure I don't have a ticket waiting from the over-zealous parking wardens. So more often than not, I'll use the privately owned car-parks where you pay upon return to the car, at least you're not rushing and racing to get back.
    Victor wrote: »
    Not quite. Any thing that is free or under-priced tends to be misused.

If there was no parking fees, all the parking spaces would be taken up by commuters, thereby preventing business users and shoppers from accessing the city centre.

I've seen it work quite well in other towns/cities where there's a time limit on using a space, but no charge so long as you obey the time limit (e.g. max 2 hrs then a fine will be issued if you stay there after that).

Commuters can't abuse such a system as they wouldn't be able to get out of work every 2 hrs to walk back to their cars and keep moving them to substantially different spaces in different areas of the town.

I'd welcome a system like that in Waterford, but I guess the revenue stream to WCC from parking is too high for them to even consider such a scheme.

And as for whoever suggested a 15 minute's grace period for getting to and from the ticket machine - well I completely agree, and I seem to remember posting a huge rant about just that here before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The problem with the grace and free parking is that the warrden has to acknoledge that you are has parked some how. Otherwise you can just ababdon your car and claim you've just parked it.

If the tickets are free, yeah commuters would park for 2 hrs and put a new ticket on the car after that. It would be too labour intensive.

No matter how much we complain about the cost of parking, there are hardly ever empty spaces in the town. The revenue from parking charges and fines must make it worth their while employing wardens and maintaining machines.

I would guess 60% of retail employees work 4-6 hr shifts at the current cost that would save them €5.50 ( the long stay on the quay) over a week thats €16, wouldn't you try avoid this.

I think €1 per hour before 12pm would be highly beneficial to the city. I'd be more inclined to spend 2 hrs browsing there in the morning.

As it is thing are so tight I walk into town, which means I never buy anything I cant carry in my shopping bag.

Advertisement