Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting teak door

• 24-02-2011 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

My front door has been 'painted' with teak oil and needs doing again. can i do over it or has it to be sanded and if so what grade of paper.

Or coukd i use some of the ronseal stuff over it, they say they last 5 years

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Is your door painted or stained/varnished Minny? If you can put up a picture that would make it a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

Is your door painted or stained/varnished Minny? If you can put up a picture that would make it a lot easier.
    teak oil i put on it, not sure what was on it originally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah im sure you could put the Ronseal over it. Sand it down with 80/100 and sand it well. Give it a good dusting and rub it down with a tack cloth or if you havn't got one, a cloth with a little white spirits.

Apply a coat, lightly sand with 150grit and repeat the process. Always put a coat on yearly, as UV's will go through a coat of varnish /similar every 12 months.

Advertisement