Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

got into the top band too...which makes me suspicious as every time before i did one of those questionaires i failed...now seems everyone is gettin into top band?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Didnt get an email. What locations are those that applied in. Anyone get the email that applied for limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

By the sounds of it they are sending out the emails for Dublin first? Everyone here seems to have got Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Didnt get an email. What locations are those that applied in. Anyone get the email that applied for limerick?

I applied for Dublin/Swords...

I know of people who havent heard anything so far... I think it's a bit of a 'drib and drab' situation with regards to emailing people.

Hope it helps... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Got the email today, for Galway: only in reserve band :mad:

Fingers crossed the top band all get jobs elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Anyone get an email about Swords?

I have applied for Kildare & Swords - Got the email about top band in "general region"

Maybe the Swords emails will be sent out last??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

JustMary wrote: »
    Got the email today, for Galway: only in reserve band :mad:

Fingers crossed the top band all get jobs elsewhere!

This isn't intended to by sycophantic but if you don't get it with your experience, Mary, there isn't much hope for a lot of us!

EDIT: I know it's on the basis of questionnaire rather than CV but you'd think experience would indicate suitability for the tasks and qualities measured.

Mimojo wrote: »
    Anyone get an email about Swords?

I have applied for Kildare & Swords - Got the email about top band in "general region"

Maybe the Swords emails will be sent out last??

I didnt get anything about swords...? i got the top band in dublin too...

This isn't intended to by sycophantic but if you don't get it with your experience, Mary, there isn't much hope for a lot of us!

Nah, it confirms my theory that there's some randomness about it.

If hundreds of Galway people know how to give the best answers to the questionnaire, and there are only dozens of jobs at best, then they need to use some other method of getting the numbers down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Hopefully the emails keep coming throughout the week! Desperately awaiting one for Dublin or Swords! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 eirampun

No.

And no.

Don't base your summer plans on this. Look for other options too, and take the first reasonable option that arises.

Based on last year, there's likely to be

1 a first cull, which results in an email that says "top band", "reserve band" or "sorry, no"

2 a round of (very short) interviews for top and possibly reserve band poeple

3 phone calls with offers of specific roles.

Last year, 1 happened in early April, 2 in mid/late April and I got 3 in May, leading to a job that started in June. However I've heard of people who didn't get the specific-job-phone-call until October.

Of course they may change the whole thing this year ... but I doubt it. Watch this thread to find out what's happening to other people.

Thanks for that, you're right about it being silly to hold out for this. I think I knew it was but needed to be told by someone else ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I have not been considered for an interview.

I'm in Sligo.

:(

Nah, it confirms my theory that there's some randomness about it.

If hundreds of Galway people know how to give the best answers to the questionnaire, and there are only dozens of jobs at best, then they need to use some other method of getting the numbers down.

Ya but what is it?!

Anyone can fill in the "right" answers to their questions, but how do they come up with who to pick? They have access to your PPS numbers, do you think they review your work history from that or can they do that? I just dont understand how they pick without your CV!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Ya but what is it?!

Anyone can fill in the "right" answers to their questions, but how do they come up with who to pick? They have access to your PPS numbers, do you think they review your work history from that or can they do that? I just dont understand how they pick without your CV!

Probably randomly....I'd say if there are a large number who gave all the 'correct' answers they just pick names out of a hat (but with a computer not a hat obviously haha). They're not going to go to the trouble of reviewing work experience for each candidate. That would be a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I don't know how they'd pick people & how fair the system really is.
    I know 2 sisters who got it last year- they ended up in the office their dad works in (he's a HEO there).. hmmm

eirampun wrote: »
    Probably randomly....I'd say if there are a large number who gave all the 'correct' answers they just pick names out of a hat (but with a computer not a hat obviously haha). They're not going to go to the trouble of reviewing work experience for each candidate. That would be a waste of resources.

I guess you are right, just find it hard to figure out how it is done!

I don't know how they'd pick people & how fair the system really is.
    I know 2 sisters who got it last year- they ended up in the office their dad works in (he's a HEO there).. hmmm

Hmmmmm indeed! Nepotism in the civil service....really???!!!!!

NEPOTISM is rife in there I would say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

As a result of your responses to the Skills and Experience Questionnaire which you completed recently as part of your application for the above campaign, I wish to inform you that at present you are notamong those being invited for interview in your selected region.

It is difficult to predict how many vacancies may arise throughout the life of this panel but should a sufficient number arise we may be in a position to consider you at a later stage.

Really pissed off at this. I found out the other day that there were only around a dozen vacancies in my region. Knew I should have applied to Dublin. Grrr...

And I gave the exact answers you are supposed to give to that retarded quiz.

EDIT:
    Wait, am I on the reserve panel? Is that what I'm supposed to get from that email? It is difficult to predict how many vacancies may arise throughout the life of this panel but should a sufficient number arise we may be in a position to consider you at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the tests are designed to profile you. i did many of them before.

did you not think it strange them asking you very similar questions again and again.

as for experience thats what the interview will be for. i did put a comment at the end of may application saying ti was strange that they did not want to attach a c.v. on to the end of it.

As for being random the selction from the answers given in these tests are far from random.

Denerick wrote: »
    As a result of your responses to the Skills and Experience Questionnaire which you completed recently as part of your application for the above campaign, I wish to inform you that at present you are notamong those being invited for interview in your selected region.

It is difficult to predict how many vacancies may arise throughout the life of this panel but should a sufficient number arise we may be in a position to consider you at a later stage.

Really pissed off at this. I found out the other day that there were only around a dozen vacancies in my region. Knew I should have applied to Dublin. Grrr...

And I gave the exact answers you are supposed to give to that retarded quiz.

EDIT:
    Wait, am I on the reserve panel? Is that what I'm supposed to get from that email? It is difficult to predict how many vacancies may arise throughout the life of this panel but should a sufficient number arise we may be in a position to consider you at a later stage.

Just got same email for application for Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Martron wrote: »
    the tests are designed to profile you. i did many of them before.

did you not think it strange them asking you very similar questions again and again.

as for experience thats what the interview will be for. i did put a comment at the end of may application saying ti was strange that they did not want to attach a c.v. on to the end of it.

As for being random the selction from the answers given in these tests are far from random.

I've done this test before and got in the top band before. I was careful in my answers, making sure not to slip up. I know people involved in civil service HR and personnel and got some... 'tips' shall we say. The entire process is arbitrary. Most people know how to answer the tests in the correct way so what happens is that maybe half of applicants will naturally get optimum results. Then names are picked randomly, in line with the number of present vacancies. Thats what the reserve band is for.

Please don't fool yourself that there is any special or extraordinary methodology to these tests; its complete bollix, the whole lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Vintagechic

anyone heard in the waterford area yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Denerick wrote: »
    I've done this test before and got in the top band before. I was careful in my answers, making sure not to slip up. I know people involved in civil service HR and personnel and got some... 'tips' shall we say. The entire process is arbitrary. Most people know how to answer the tests in the correct way so what happens is that maybe half of applicants will naturally get optimum results. Then names are picked randomly, in line with the number of present vacancies. Thats what the reserve band is for.

Please don't fool yourself that there is any special or extraordinary methodology to these tests; its complete bollix, the whole lot of it.

i am not fooling myself and your anecdotal evidence is as strong as mine. i was merely saying that i have done these tests before. its not my fault the civil service dont utilise them properly.

its totally about knowing how to answer the questions. and as you said yourself not to slip up. That slipping up is what the test is designed to make you do.

and i dont see the point in allowing random people in regardless of the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RileyCoyote

To Denerick's question below, that does look like a kind of 'middling answer'. I got a flat no as follows:

I regret that you are not among those being considered for interview. You will appreciate this campaign attracted a very high number of applicants with a limited number of vacancies.

No mention of future vacancies. Dunno what I did wrong. Dublin area.

Congrats to everyone who got positive responses, good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There was a group of us working as TCOs last year and as the competition came up we all did the online application test, answered honestly, and got the 'thanks but no thanks' email. That's about 15 of us who had all been TCOs on several occasions in different departments with no problems and were gainfully employed as TCOs at the time :rolleyes: This year I did the test just to see if I'd pass it - and having read the thread on here I was a little less honest with my answers - I passed (got the top band email for Cork region for whoever was asking there earlier!).

I don't think it's an entirely fair way of doing things but they have to use some kind of yardstick. Having said that, some of the TCOs who came in on the last competition to work with our existing team had never used a computer before (and our job was all day every day on computers). I guess they carried their fibbing through to interview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Got the 'reserve' email for Cork. Pretty dissapointed as I worked in the CSO before and am working as an enumerator now. Congrats to all who got the top band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Got in the top band in Dublin. Delighted, I've applied the last 3 years in a row but to no avail so happy to be considered this time.

I currently work in Administration and Customer service for almost a year with 3 further years retail experience and am just about to complete a Commerce degree in April with strong results so hoping I have a good chance. Have meetings set up with someone I know to do interview preparation to make sure I'm fully prepared.

Does anyone know how long the contracts are for or does the length of contract offer vary from person to person?

I am a bit worried that we may be getting a bit over excited?

we may be calling you for interview in the event of sufficient vacancies arising during your stated availability. Should you be among those to be invited, we will be email you giving you details of your interview location, date and time.

I don't know. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah - Got the same for Cork. Won't be jumping up and down just yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

ourtrail wrote: »

Does anyone know how long the contracts are for or does the length of contract offer vary from person to person?

They vary. They used to be 2-3 months over the Summer for term-timers and then there would be longer ones for other reasons (lots of work on, absences etc.). I wouldn't think they'd bother with ones shorter than about 2-3 months though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

As a result of your responses to the Skills and Experience Questionnaire which you completed recently as part of your application for the above campaign, I wish to inform you that at present you are not among those being invited for interview in your selected region.

Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 16 traymad

I havent gotten anything yet so I am just going to assume the worst, I applied for Dublin and Swords!

Ah well just have to look elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I applied to Dublin and swords too,haven't heard anything yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Reserve band for Longford/Westmeath. Also applied for Swords as I'm currently in DCU but yet to hear anything for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Anyone receive an email today regarding Dublin or Swords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

spudz21 wrote: »

I still haven't heard anything, Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Any on hear anything regarding Wexford??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking?

I did the questionnaire about 2 days before closing date so I'm assuming that might be the delay....thinking positive:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

spudz21 wrote: »

Still nothing for me about Dublin or Swords

• Advertisement

I have heard nothing about swords either?!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Any on hear anything regarding Wexford??

Applied for Wexford too, heard nothing so far, no news is good news I guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

I applied on the last day of applications being accepted and got word yesterday that I'm in the top band in Dublin. Check your junk, thats where mine went, thankfully I check it regularly!

Does anybody know the process from last year or previous campaigns? Were all e-mails sent out at once saying whether you have the reserve or top band? I got top band but some people I know got no email at all? Confusing!! :confused:

I can tell a very, very similar story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey i got into the reserve band.... Should I just forget about it now or is thee a still a chance for people on the reserve panel? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hey i got into the reserve band.... Should I just forget about it now or is thee a still a chance for people on the reserve panel? :D

What did your email say? Cause I'm not sure if im in the reserve band or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I'm in the Reserve band too and wondering the same thing... I'd say we haven't a hope to be honest but I'm just a pessimistic fecker.

I just got a second email today from them...but it seems to say the same thing as the first!

It refers to the "General Region" again, and has the same text as the first emai (just looks a little different).

The email subject is "Top All" though different to the first email.

Did anyone else get this?

• Advertisement

Yeah I got that email too?! I wonder what that is about?! It's a bit strange isn't it??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement